Victus ut Hominem - The Sandk1ng Art of Character Creation

Man of Respect

Victus ut hominem

A name I did on google translate.

This is a simple guide to make a new character. I hope that this will be useful for you, reader, if it isn't useful for you, I'm afraid but there's nothing that I can help you with as I can understand completely how do you feel about it, specially the way I've written this or the grammatics contained in this singular thread. Ceasar non supra grammaticos.

The art of creating a character is a simple one, useful if you want to create a secondary character after you've applied. I mean, its just a few steps, words and advices.

Character Creation

You do not create a character to get a specific magic or join a specific group. Instead, you must create a character. Who is he? Make it simple and make it so that it contains simplicity. "Joffrey is a eighteen years old man with the ambition of becoming the greatest of the flower farmers and sell it to ladies across the land, opening a business." This is your character. Now, where did he come from and why does he has that ambition?

Personally, I like to make my character from a completely different place, with a different accent, costumes, standards, philosophy. Now, how does he acts before everything and why? There's a couple of factors we can make use of here. Firstly, he's seventeen; what has he been through to not be afraid of men in heavy armor walking around on a city, for example? (Which I see something as a reason to intimidate someone, but thats my own opinion. What do you feel when you see someone in a police uniform? Please, be honest with yourself, I'll spare you from this thread). Maybe he admires them? Maybe he knows each single one of them? The second factor to consider. His ambition. He wants to harvest flowers and open a business, how well would he know of general skills and tasks? Make mental notes for yourself.

Thats it, you have a completely flexible character that doesn't wants to be an undead thanks to their invisible manipulator, or a druid. Place this thing on your head. Druids and magics. I'll be honest and express my opinion: people make characters with the sole initial and set intent of becoming a druid. If you want to contest, go ahead, you might be a special cherry from the cake, but what about the other cherries?

Right now, I'm playing a man named Fonneus that previously wanted to open a blacksmithing business for farming tools (simplicity) because he came from a place that worked with that - farming; countryside people of a small community with a thick accent. He absorbed their costumes, habits and fears. The best he knows of weaponry is a hatchet - barely knows what a sword is. Due to a multitude of events that happened on his migration to Johannesburg to open a blacksmithing place so he could work. What are his experiences? Farming and blacksmithing, the country bumpkin can barely use a sword. He's also not extremely strong  because he's a blacksmith. Remember, simplicity.

What happened on his life on Johannesburg is that he found a paladin, talked a little bit and began a restless search for paladins and monsters to prove his strenght to the paladin regardless of having experience with fighting or not. For the farmer, maybe he also could've been somehow seduced by the secrets of alchemy and try to seek for eternal life, not because he looked on a book that he handpicked on a library. Something to consider is also how much your character does knows. The argument of "Being a 50 years old high elven scholar so I know everything or a lot of things" is one of the most stupid **** I've ever seen when I was a new player - I was just too blind to see it, hadn't developed concepts back then. 

Metagaming and Powergaming

Metagaming  and powergaming are a game ruiner for yourself and those around you. It simply kills the purpouse of everything. Everything you do, everything you try, everything you will do, because it kills the purpouse of doing it - the reckless search for knowledge, even if it's proven fake by the wikipedia or Lore Team. You do not know of it. You absolutely do not, and you're not meant to. It might be tempting to know that liches have a weakness to gold, but just roleplay as you don't know that this is true. What kind of insane person would carry around a golden blade? Why would you attack a dreadknight where it's weak if you're a peasant? Scrutiny, please.

+1

Should be moved to whitelist apps, think it'll be a great help.

Nice little guide for the new people +1

I allow this post to be moved and pinned, but this is completely up to the moderation team discretion.

I made a vague semi-intellectual burgher lady to roleplay my favourite niché: intrigues, scheming and politics (LOOK AT MY PROFILE).

She ended up as a foul-mouthed juggernaut in servitude to a holy order of knights.

Truly, it makes a lovely story and good interactions IC to even explain the situation. It's funny.

Awesome! I love reading alm the new guides. This isone of my favourites (along with how to be evil and how to rp insanity)