[✓] Coupling or 'Circles'

Wendigo

Just now, Booklight12 said:

Yes, I gave a similiar idea to a few lm's 2 years ago about a similiar procedure of using one person, they said it'd be cool but I never got around to make lore for it. Good work however, the only thing I would like to critique is why limit it to only 8 people? I am one to believe that if you can gather that many people say 10 or 15 you shouldn't be limited, or have them hinder the ritual. It should only make it better. 

I had the same thoughts as well but let's be realistic...when would you ever get 15 mages together in one place, let alone having to deal with that many emotes. I'd like the focus of this lore to be more utility based, not power based thus the proportion clause and a limiting factor on the amount of connections. That being said, if the LMs or a majority of people feel like it should be more I can increase the number. 

Sounds crazy, i approve.

Just now, Wendigo said:

I had the same thoughts as well but let's be realistic...when would you ever get 15 mages together in one place, let alone having to deal with that many emotes. I'd like the focus of this lore to be more utility based, not power based thus the proportion clause and a limiting factor on the amount of connections. That being said, if the LMs or a majority of people feel like it should be more I can increase the number. 

8 is a reasonable number of people yes. However, if it is possible to get 10 or even 15 people on a ritual. That could generate a ton of RP and simply open it up for more people to be apart of. It'd most likely not be common, however it is still plausible especially with the large number of magic users in RP nowadays. Generally it doesn't seem that impossible, just not happen often.

Just now, Booklight12 said:

8 is a reasonable number of people yes. However, if it is possible to get 10 or even 15 people on a ritual. That could generate a ton of RP and simply open it up for more people to be apart of. It'd most likely not be common, however it is still plausible especially with the large number of magic users in RP nowadays. Generally it doesn't seem that impossible, just not happen often.

Like I said if a majority of people feel like it should be more, say so in the comments or shoot me a PM. I'd also like to see what the LMs feel should be an appropriate number of people. 

3 hours ago, koko haram said:

It seems like an unnecessary addition that only further empower mages. I sincerely doubt the "drawback" will be roleplayed correctly.

Seem to be no weaknesses besides what you can't do with it, these rituals should be costly. So much mana flowing at once to do one specific task often has negative results, like Blood Magic for example is very difficult to cast for the most part since any misfired spell could quite possibly spell your demise. I like the premise, but there need to be some other drawbacks of using this method of conjuring. 

Just now, Aerial said:

Seem to be no weaknesses besides what you can't do with it, these rituals should be costly. So much mana flowing at once to do one specific task often has negative results, like Blood Magic for example is very difficult to cast for the most part since any misfired spell could quite possibly spell your demise. I like the premise, but there need to be some other drawbacks of using this method of conjuring. 

Unlike blood magic, this isn't as much raw power as you'd think because the addition of mana is proportional not stacked. Blood mages wield around alot more power. As for drawbacks what are the drawbacks of a normal spell going awry? Now amplify that. I stated that the Circle doesn't allow you to transcend red lines for other magical lore. So just like if you're summoning a fire ball and something goes wrong people will be injured. 

As for there being more additions to failure it won't allow people to experiment as much as they'd like. It's just a utility, so just like other magic there will be failures and the outcomes of those failures. 

It'd be nice if you had to draw your magic circle with a chalk to act as a conductor or akin on the ground instead of having it surge from nothing or something that isn't clear enough. Maybe even different kinds of chalk or chalks of different colours?

5 minutes ago, Man of respect said:

It'd be nice if you had to draw your magic circle with a chalk to act as a conductor or akin on the ground instead of having it surge from nothing or something that isn't clear enough. Maybe even different kinds of chalk or chalks of different colours?

I see where you're coming from but I don't want it to be a series of writing down sigils or it go down the science route. The power from it doesn't come from nothing it in fact comes from the other mages in the circle. If however you feel you could write lore in conjunction with this using sigils and the like feel free to, I'd love to see it. If you also read into the lore you'll see I put references to focus crystals and arcaurum.

It surges from the power of the mages, yes, but it simply... surges?