[✗] Rune of Silencing

excited

Rune of Silencing

sVT9WSa.png

In times of yore the blood mages of olden times had far more proactive methods for the practice of their coveted eldritch art. It was through these means that the actual process of magical amplification grew potent, a bastardized branch of the long forgotten art thought dead and buried. However, with the exponential growth of such a powerful magic, one would thing that there would be a means to silence if it the need arose, and it was because of that fact that the Triarchy of the order poured through the musty tomes of masters that preceded them, it was through this ravenous study that a means would finally come to light.

The Rune of Silencing is a marking devised in recent times to thwart rogue practitioners of Blood Magic, it is of a particularly difficult design and nearly impossible to replicate without a trained hand. By inscribing this rune through flesh or bone you will effectively silence their ability to pull on genus both within and without, fueled by dormant mana [genus] reserves in the bloodstream that they once called upon for a boon without equal, this renders the abilities of a master Blood Mage inactive, obsolete. The etched rune cannot be removed by a non-silencer, so it can be inferred that while it is possible to have this branding revoked it would come only after the candidate is once again seen worthy in the eyes of their masters.

The mechanics showcased in this lore, or lack thereof, will be explained here. This is a means for us to disconnect troublesome Blood Mages through role-play means, while this rune can prevent the individual from connecting to reservoirs of genus for a finite expanse of time the silencer, or others with the ability to do so will be able to revoke the rune. The subject of the rune will respawn with this marking no matter how many times they die, it is effectively akin to deattunement or disconnection from a deity.

2 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

I actually hate the concept of this. How can this be used to "disconnect inactive users." 

As needed if the person's never going to play again, but honestly this is for people who abuse the magic, so I'll just remove the thing about inactivity since we purge people for that already through other means.

5 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Yar that makes sense. I just get irked when lore says its for the purpose of purging inactives. People take breaks. It happens.

Oh, don't worry, it's not going to be used for the sake of purging good members who're inactive, it's more or less for RP purposes and getting rid of undesirables if they're attuned. 

I don't know, I hate IRP lore-approved methods for circle-jerking magics. Why not just rely on regular old blacklisting (if they are objectively abusing it from an OOC standpoint) instead of giving people IC means to take complete control over an entire type of magic?

4 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

I don't know, I hate IRP lore-approved methods for circle-jerking magics. Why not just rely on regular old blacklisting (if they are objectively abusing it from an OOC standpoint) instead of giving people IC means to take complete control over an entire type of magic?

Well the idea behind it is to avoid the OOC interaction and deal with RP in RP. I think. . .

22 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

Well the idea behind it is to avoid the OOC interaction and deal with RP in RP. I think. . .

At the same time though it starts turning magics guild-locked and generally inaccessible unless you're friendly with the apparent status quo. I don't really think that's fitting for anything but deific magics. Basically because if people just decide one day they don't like you they can forcibly take your magics away whether you actually did anything inherently wrong or not when looking at it from an OOC perspective.

Aerial, I know you were at the wrong end of a very abusive clotting a long while back, without any compelling RP reason other than the person not liking you, and performed in a shitty way.

So my question is basically what's caused you to propose this, and how do you foresee it being used? I just always worry when disconnection methods pop up for magics, because they have a tendency to be misused, and have a huge effect when that happens with virtually no ramifications on the person who uses them.

5 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Because ic means to control an entire subtype, especially one as hard to role-play as BM, is a priority. It keeps it from being a devalued magic like Fire Evocation.

40 minutes ago, Aerial said:

Because ic means to control an entire subtype, especially one as hard to role-play as BM, is a priority. It keeps it from being a devalued magic like Fire Evocation.

So basically exactly what I'm saying in that it'd be used to disconnect people not considered part of the 'clique' and thus turning it into a circle-jerked magic? There's no devaluing in allowing more people experience a magic if they're enjoying the experience and doing it well. Blacklisting exists for the purpose of removing the people abusing such magics, so things like this proposed to do just that are redundant. (And would likely result in people abusing the disconnection ability without ramification as well)

EDIT: Not to mention OOC systems like the blacklisting one are much more efficient at dealing with any abusive roleplay on magics in a fair manner. And are not likely to be abused as biased IC disconnection rituals, as in case you haven't noticed characters tend to be rather insane and selfish, and don't work on whether the 'magic was abused' but moreso 'I don't like this guy and he's not part of our group' even though he uses the magic properly. Or at least, a lot of characters tend to be like that, not all. It's just that it's not likely to always be used fairly on an IC basis.

2 hours ago, ski_king3 said:

Aerial, I know you were at the wrong end of a very abusive clotting a long while back, without any compelling RP reason other than the person not liking you, and performed in a shitty way.

So my question is basically what's caused you to propose this, and how do you foresee it being used? I just always worry when disconnection methods pop up for magics, because they have a tendency to be misused, and have a huge effect when that happens with virtually no ramifications on the person who uses them.

It's to be carried out only when someone's betrayed the Order of Blood, a unified front of Blood Mages allows for better events and etc... it's a means for me and Tsu to control the influx of new BMs and be able to purge people who['re traitors in role-play. It's not easily abuseable, the subject must be alive, they must have blood in them, and they must've transgressed against the tenets of the Order of Blood, namely a statute of secrecy. 

7 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

So basically exactly what I'm saying in that it'd be used to disconnect people not considered part of the 'clique' and thus turning it into a circle-jerked magic? There's no devaluing in allowing more people experience a magic if they're enjoying the experience and doing it well. Blacklisting exists for the purpose of removing the people abusing such magics, so things like this proposed to do just that are redundant. (And would likely result in people abusing the disconnection ability without ramification as well)

EDIT: Not to mention OOC systems like the blacklisting one are much more efficient at dealing with any abusive roleplay on magics. And are not likely to be abused as biased IC disconnection rituals, as in case you haven't noticed characters tend to be rather insane and selfish, and don't work on whether the 'magic was abused' but moreso 'I don't like this guy and he's not part of our group' even though he uses the magic properly. Or at least, a lot of characters tend to be like that, not all. It's just not likely to always be used fairly.

OOC systems will not be used to represent role-play, role-play is role-play. If characters are insane and selfish that's apart of them, that's why you don't transgress on them, and by that same logic you're confounding me because the Order of Blood is a guild. What's bad with cliques?

a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them

Our shared interest is conquering the world, so yes, we're not going to let our magic fall in the hands of people who need to be culled in order to maintain the guild's hierarchy, traitors and the likes must be handled, and the Triarchy must reach an agreement if it's to run smoothely.

It's not representing roleplay, it's removing magical abuse from the scenario in a non-biased manner. It's all fun and games until people start being assholes for no reason, taking away all your progression you've spent a long time OOCly for because of selfish reasons.

9 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

It's not representing roleplay, it's removing magical abuse from the scenario in a non-biased manner. It's all fun and games until people start being assholes for no reason, taking away all your progression you've spent a long time OOCly for because of selfish reasons.

Role-Play is about interaction, magic is not a privilege so of course it's liable to being silenced. All forms of rp have consequences, consequences should be paid homage to and used as a source of character development. Nonetheless, I respect your opinion. 

5 hours ago, Aerial said:

It's to be carried out only when someone's betrayed the Order of Blood, a unified front of Blood Mages allows for better events and etc... it's a means for me and Tsu to control the influx of new BMs and be able to purge people who['re traitors in role-play. It's not easily abuseable, the subject must be alive, they must have blood in them, and they must've transgressed against the tenets of the Order of Blood, namely a statute of secrecy. 

I'm not gunna lie, this seems a bit messed up. Like, when you got clotted, it was pretty apparent that you were frustrated because you lost your magic over something that wasn't hard abuse, which disconnection is generally reserved for exclusively extensive misuse or betrayal of a deity. Essentially always, lore for forcefully taking away someone's magic has been reserved to times when they're either going explicitly against their deity or when they're causing tremendous problems with their use of the magic, and because of that, this lore shouldn't be accepted without those stipulations.

Hopefully as someone who has literally faced the problem of magic removal being misused and sought recourse, you can recognize why this should continue.