[✗] A Shift in the Void - Mage Tools and Mage Curse clarifications

Mr. Etan

A Shift in the Void:

The voidal curse and Mage Weapons

1353c8353041e2c37926fc2150602d87.png

ML_7.jpg

Throughout generations of magi there has been one consistency from teacher to teacher and student to student; the sole consistency that may exist in the ever changing art of the arcane - the void. Everything, yet nothing. All powerful, yet truly weak. Beneficial, yet wrought with blight. A concept that is beyond the comprehension of the mortal mind that it appears as nothing more than a work of mere fiction. The abstract and compromising attributes of the void has let to one consistent factor, no matter who one asks, chaos. It is from the chaos that is the void that he who is known as the creator was born, it isfrom the chaos that is the void that Aos was brought on through light, it is from the chaos that is the void that the four brothers first stepped upon the realm.

For the void is ever changing, within a matter of a second a cosmic breath may render life null. Often this nature is experienced by lonesome magi, their connection stripped or altered, what they had known somehow useless. But once a millennia an event may take place that affects each and every magi upon our realm - an event of utmost chance and uncertainty.

The weakening of mages:

Before where mages find themselves flaunting around in full fitted plate sets and helmets, shields and blades were now suddenly hindered. The void seemed to have buckled in on itself, considerably weakening mages back to a frail state that they originally were in. Heavy blades became hard to swing, armor weighed down on the weakened bodies causing great stamina loss for use of fully fitted plate sets once mastering two magics.

Mages are now weaker, making the use of plated armor and other heavy protective gears are less preferred as the weight would be too much for a feeble spell caster. The curse starts setting in slowly when you first practice magic, once reaching T5 in your first magic you become too weak to wear full plate-mail sets, for example having to switch out of alternates such as fitted plate and brigandines, lighter swords become more preferred as heavy swords become hard to swing.

Upon reaching T5 in two magics, the curse settles in its full. You find wearing sets of fitted plate rather hindering effecting stamina heavily leaving a mage at most with padding, fine leathers, and fabrics and other craftable or creative defenses to think of that weigh a lot less than plate.

Striking a mage can easily bruise them, the curse not allowing muscle to grow much strength and weakening bones very slightly to the average individual, though a mage is able to gain fat as they please and keep a healthy weight and protect frailty.

Heavy weapons and shields become less valued options, being difficult to swing them so forth as they take up. This is all to give mages the weakness they had before, allowing for them to adapt with the arcane arts they’re mastering and leave behind these tools for better arcane ones

Redlines of Voidal Corruption:

The corruption is gradual and not instant, from the day you begin to practice the mage should RP the effects of slowly becoming weaker and weaker, becoming their weakest after mastering 2 magics.

A mage can still attempt to wear full fitted plates and shields, but extreme fatigue and struggle MUST be roleplayed.

A mage is weak, being hit by good rock throw could easily stagger and badly bruise a mage let alone getting struck by a blade or fully struck by a well-sized man and the destruction behind such. Roleplay this realistically and accordingly, you don’t have to undergame getting breathed on and dieing.

Heavy weaponry such as swords, maces, axes, crossbows and so forth become a struggle for mages to swing and use, effectivity compared to someone with avarage strength not effected by the voidal curse is less. You can be trained to use a blade but it takes more stamnia to use them finding the mage out of breath a lot more easily. You can still find magical alternatives such as using telekinesis to pull back crossbow strings, or hold shields.

If you wish to bypass the weight of armor or weapon magically in any way such as altering its properties with magic you must have have an MT signed set of MC armor. You must have this set  or item on your person while roleplaying this set.

Arcane Tools

The true weapon of an arcane mage

1353c8353041e2c37926fc2150602d87.png

Magic_Mage_Staff_Horns_521093_1280x799.j

Focus crystals originally meant to allow the focus of spells from the hand to these points seem to have a new property that draws mages to them, recently it seems they have some sort of raw connection to the vail, something is welled deep inside these crystals waiting for skilled mages to tap into them.

Meditating with the crystals will find the mage connecting to it, binding it to their soul permanently creating an essence shard, the start of a useful tool. Essence shards are very weak, akin to glass and can easily be destroyed by mere shock from a blow, these shards without being bound to a tool are rather useless aside for glowing the color of the mage's aura.

The next step to this process would be binding your essence shard to your prefered tool. This can be a staff, wand, book, sword, anything that can be held and gripped tightly as you have to hold your tool to channel its ability, once you fix your essence shard to your prefered tool you have to channel your mana into this tool until it binds with the shard creating your soulbound tool.

This new found tool taps into the true power of the essence shard allowing the ebb and flow of the void to passively move through the tool, allowing the mage to be constantly connected to the void whilst they grip this tool. Granted, such a boon doesn’t lack its fair share of side effects, if the essence shard is destroyed in any way the mage will find themselves stunned heavily for a few minutes or three emotes, ears ringing as their soul tries to recover from the blow. If the tool is disarmed from the mage they will receive a minor form of this stun, lasting about a minute or one emote.

If the essence shard is destroyed the mage must take time to recover it by meditating out of any stressful and combative situations, summoning the essence shard back to their bound tool. If the tool is ever stolen or misplaced anyone who may find the tool cannot use its effects as it's bound to the creator of such, the essence shard seeks its way back to its owner after some time allowing the mage to stumble upon their tool in odd places, such as their bed or dresser. Anywhere in an out of combat situation.

The ritual to create these tools can only be done by a mage who’s mastered their first magic, though such a mage can assist a new or beginning mage by doing the ritual with them, allowing teachers to gift their students such a powerful bonding tool.

Certain types of magic can work alongside these tools, such as translocations being able to quickly summon their bound tool from the void at the same speed as unsheathing said item. Cognats can bind their horror to their tool, personifying the tool as the horror becomes part of the essence shard. Evocationists can make their essence shard trap their desired element inside of it, allowing an aesthetic look of an active element swirling inside such. Telekinetics may find themselves moving their tool about without connecting to the void prior. Shifters capable of teleporting their tool about on the physical plane, much like a translocationist.

Redlines of Mage Tools

Your soulbound mage tool must to be submitted via a simple self teach app titled [Mage Tool] "Name Here" describing the tool, and if you under the T5 mark, list the mage who helped you. Tool apps count as a feat, so they dont take a slot naturally.

Hitting anything with your tool harshly can and will cause your essence shard to shatter, using your tool as a weapon should always be the very LAST resort as the essence shard is very fragile. This also goes for having your tool hit, such as someone trying to disarm you etc.

Trying to use padding, casing, or magical charms to hold or protect your essence shard from shock will not work, the shard is bount to the tool meaning any shock the tool recieves transfers magically. This is to prevent bypassing the main weakness of tools.

You must have mastered an arcane magic (5+ Months) to create or assist a younger mage in the ritual for binding the focus crystal into an essence shard.

Not roleplaying the stunning effects of being disarmed is powergaming and will warrant a blacklist for tools.

Being connected to the void through your tool doesn’t make it so you’re immune to being de-focused. If you’re hit directly, etc while casting it will still mess  your spell you just won't be disconnected from the void.

If your tool is destroyed you must wait an hour after combat to resummon the essence shard / tool. If you steal someones tool it will not work (If it has a horror bound to it, the horror can interact with the thief). Any lost/stolen tools will vanish and teleport to the mage an hour after combat situations.

This is not to skip a step in magic, rather simply another way to do tells i.e. if you see a mage suddenly take out their wand you know stuff's going to hit the fan as if you saw a mage's ears or hands twitch.

You must be HOLDING your tool to have its benefits, leaving it sheathed or stored on your person will not work. It has to be fully held.

A character may only have one tool, and when it is recreated it must always take the same physical form. They may change the type of tool once a real life month but this change has to be amended on the application.

Aesthetic tool powers remain aesthetic, not going any further than being an alternative to unsheath your tool. I.e the Telekinetic grip can’t be used to keep your weapon from being disarmed or to grab it from a distance.

Just a clarification, if one drops their magic completely the shards will disconnect from the soul becoming simple focus crystals once more (So long the user drops ALL arcane magics), they will also have to make sure to have their tool app dropped.

TLDR: Make mages weak like they should of been and give staffs and wands proper use so mages can stop being flaunty plated spellswords and actually be proper mages.

Credit to Shamejax for the introduction and ideas.

rvuMuEm.gif

tox i know you can format better what is this

1 minute ago, Tsuyose said:

tox i know you can format better what is this

iM TRYING

I like the clarity of the post 

Okay, Guys... I fixed the formatting...

Just now, Veist said:

Can I wear scalemail

What's the weight of scalemail relative to leather? If it's the same or below it's fine.

Is there a full guide for these Focus Crystals? If not could we have one so that we can learn things such as where they come from, how mages typically get them, physical properties, if we'd need a stonemason to shape them, etc.. ? I think it'd be very helpful.

I don't like this because I play a character that was built around having a single magic and no more so that they could do, reasonably, everything they did before. This change limits roleplay where the popular concept of spellblades or runeblades is being made completely unfeasible. I understand the reasoning for this amendment of magical degradation, but I also think that the tiers should be bumped up a single notch so that the effects you describe occur, formally, when two and three magics have been mastered rather than one and two. This allows the freedom to roleplay the niche character archetype of magical swordsmen/warriors while still limiting those who are more proper mages.

1 minute ago, oblivionsbane said:

I don't like this because I play a character that was built around having a single magic and no more so that they could do, reasonably, everything they did before. This change limits roleplay where the popular concept of spellblades or runeblades is being made completely unfeasible. I understand the reasoning for this amendment of magical degradation, but I also think that the tiers should be bumped up a single notch so that the effects you describe occur, formally, when two and three magics have been mastered rather than one and two. This allows the freedom to roleplay the niche character archetype of magical swordsmen/warriors while still limiting those who are more proper mages.

Spellblades shouldn't exist in the first place in my honest opinion. If you want to play a warrior don't learn magic.