CT Update Log - May 2019

TarreBear

14 minutes ago, Rave_Cave_marb said:

That is exactly what I explained in my original post. The format and its difficulty is not very related to the amount of people being denied at all. In many cases, players put on pending don’t even log on anymore after posting their application. Please read my original response explaining why they are unrelated.

And I’m telling you random generic scenario questions aren’t going to magically make anyone know the lore. 

Where is the community in the community team? Where's some answers or explanations to the horrible staff performance this past month? Where is any update on what feedback staff took to work on and what they cast aside?

Really, you posted a "Community team" update which is 70% about applications and 30% about content you did not yet create but promise you will.

11 hours ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

And I’m telling you random generic scenario questions aren’t going to magically make anyone know the lore. 

Let me clear this up for you. I joined many years ago when you were required to answer not one, but three out of five scenario questions. The reason for these questions were not to have you learn lore, such is also the case now. We ask the new applicants look for lore to put in their application from the wiki or forums, meaning they find towns, events, people, anything that shows they had some interest in learning about the world they were about to immerse themselves in. The scenario question is more to gague their roleplay and their understanding of not only how roleplay works, but also the definitions they had to look up. It does not measure their knowledge of the lore. Even I do not know all of the server lore. When I joined, i just looked up a city, and winged it. The application, even new application, requires that minimum effort. Create a character, find something to tie them to our world, and show some basic understanding so we know just how much help one needs. I was lucky upon my joining to have Skale, Kizu, and Dante helping me with not only my app but also my integration. Now adays, new players rely on us to help them, and thus, it is just to set our standards a little higher.

5 hours ago, MamaBearJade said:

Let me clear this up for you. I joined many years ago when you were required to answer not one, but three out of five scenario questions. The reason for these questions were not to have you learn lore, such is also the case now. We ask the new applicants look for lore to put in their application from the wiki or forums, meaning they find towns, events, people, anything that shows they had some interest in learning about the world they were about to immerse themselves in. The scenario question is more to gague their roleplay and their understanding of not only how roleplay works, but also the definitions they had to look up. It does not measure their knowledge of the lore. Even I do not know all of the server lore. When I joined, i just looked up a city, and winged it. The application, even new application, requires that minimum effort. Create a character, find something to tie them to our world, and show some basic understanding so we know just how much help one needs. I was lucky upon my joining to have Skale, Kizu, and Dante helping me with not only my app but also my integration. Now adays, new players rely on us to help them, and thus, it is just to set our standards a little higher.

Except a few posts ago you were complaining about them not knowing the lore. And again there's really almost no relation to writing yourself a little short story where you control all the characters, and actual rp.  

You can back off with the "i joined many yrs ago bro ik what im talking about!". I've been here for every single application format. Right now we have the most new players flooding in and the highest peaks we've had in years. I don't think the quality has dropped at all either, I RP with these guys the whole time and besides the usual roughness around the edges you always get, they're actually better RPers than the average player in that they actually put the effort in and don't have any OOC biases or any of that yet. I'd reckon that if people are noticing bad RP more(although I think quality of writing has little to do with good RP, but rather it's the commitment to the role and the willingness to go with the flow, which noobs are usually much better at despite their emotes not winning prizes) it's just because there's so many of them. Even if new players right now are of a lower quality, that doesn't matter. They'll either get good or get banned or leave. A large constant influx of guys who can't write paragraphs to Elven ERP standards just means a lot of guys who CAN down the road. 

Now, there's 2 possibilities with your app. You said it's designed in response to bad RP, so clearly the scenario questions must be a test of RP ability. Now there are 2 scenarios, either (a) the weak RPers(just weak emoters in my opinion) get "outed" in the scenario questions and denied, or (b) they don't, the weak RPers still get accepted. (A) must logically mean that we have a significant drop in the number of new players being accepted, if as you suggest a significant portion of them are weak RPers. So this great new influx stops and you killed it, congratulations. (B) just means status quo but you waste everyone's time with useless extra questions. 

So there's no scenario at all where anyone benefits from this. You can always add yet another gate to your groves and treetop towns if you can't stand noobs. I suspect that's the real issue here, I don't often hear the other races give out about new players. 

Edited by shoahinsnowyfields