[✗] [Magic Lore] – Conjuration

ZythusRequiem

1 hour ago, MeteorDragon said:

Though on not a conjurationist myself, yet, I agree with Mystery on a few of those points. I personally think that Hybrids should be back as a combat thing as that make the magic far more interesting to mess with in battles considering the magic is already one of the weaker ones out there. I like the rewrite, good formatting and all but Hybrids should be back into combat, that’s the main problem I have with this.

My personal problem, while hybrids are super cool, is that hybrids being in combat is against the grain of the grounds for the Lore Games itself. The purpose of this event is to ensure that lore is specific and there is little wiggle room for powergaming and everyone is able to understand their magic. Hybrids in combat, with the strict provisions and parameters being applied to meet the demands of the Lore Games, go against this grain. Hybrids have such a wide diversity, and because of that they’re great, truly. But this is why they should stick to utility purposes.

Hybrids in combat may have provisional traits that “combine” advantages from the different spells outlined in this lore, however that does not mean each individual Construct is underpowered. Combining two Constructs from the two different spells would circumvent the entire purpose of the specific spell list. This would cause the same issues posed pre-Lore Games. I am not saying that Hybrids in combat are totally unacceptable, what I am trying to say here is that the sheer possibility of Hybrids in combat raises too many variables and combinations that it would defeat the purpose of it being a “Combat,” spell, which as stated in submission guidelines cannot be too free form and must have specific balancing mechanics.

For all these reasons, it is my opinion that hybrids should remain in utility classes rather than combat classes. However, this does not disqualify Hybrids from being combat tools. Hybrids, given very specific boundaries could potentially be viable. I encourage you to brain storm with some other mages, if not you then other mages on this thread for reasonable restrictions for hybrids in combat if it is something that is really important to Conjuration mages. The last thing I want to see is Conjuration be denied for not having enough restrictions, hence why I’ve structured my lore in such a way to preserve both the creativity aspect of the magic as well as the combative viability of it.

First, to people heaving their nuts over this, the lore won't be approved without consulting the existing playerbase for the lore anyway. Source somewhere in discord and also on some lore criteria thread or other. 

Second, I don't think that 10 abilities thing is any kind of hard limit. 

I would be lying if I said that lately I wasn’t feeling any guilt from certain members of Conjuration magic and the way they have reached out to me to voice their concerns. For these reasons, I’m implementing the following changes to buff and improve the versatility of Conjuration. While hybridization is yet to be added, I’m sure these changes are steps towards the right direction for the community and those who (some a tad aggressively) have reached out and voiced their concerns in their own words.

• Added the Factor: Binding, this factor essentially when applied to a Construct, or Summons, will in short allow the mage to keep the Construct or Summons active without active-casting. This factor when applied also extends the lifeform (if a Construct)’s tankiness to 10 hits before it will disappear, which overrides any defaulted hit tankiness. The one drawback is that this factor cannot be applied simultaneously with any other factors EXCEPT for Primordials. 
    • This factor is learnable at Tier 4, same as the old binding requirement. 
    • In some ways this exceeds the 5-10 range of spells for Slot 1 magics, but I could not proceed with this magic if it meant removing a fundamentally important part of the magic from the Lore. 
  • Reduced Emote Time on Aves, Insecta et Rodenta, and Mammalia to base two emotes. 
    • This is to adjust for complaints that this magic has been in some ways a “nerf,” rather than a clarification. I do not want to fundamentally change Conjuration, it’s power levels, or emote times in a way such that it becomes less viable, but rather preserve it with fair and equal mechanics. I felt that with all the possible applicable factors to these spells, a base of two emotes would be appropriate. 

Another thing I’m on the fence about is making hybrids accessible to the Construct class, then again I don’t know how this would fare with the combative restrictions Lore Games is focusing on. Nevertheless, those who have ideas to submit should continue to discuss here or pm me respectfully and I will be glad to find compromise between balance and new ideas. I remember @Tha_Mystery_Man wanted something “new” in this magic, and since I haven’t used this magic in game myself I cannot come up with original ideas necessarily. So let’s get brainstorming and talking more about this rewrite if you are interested in pursuing it.

EDIT: Another thing I’m getting rid of is not letting Summon: Perennial & Summon: Morphon mix/match. Since why not, let’s have dogs with flowers on their heads. You can have animals with plant characteristics, but not the other way around.

Thank you for submitting your Lore Games draft! You will receive input on what needs to be fixed within the next 2 or so weeks.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.