Johann

The Land: Tradition and Silver

QE3ZXNP7DYE5Yralzjux8qwNgzC9iSXYXZWoZehAioIgP8hV73U3uB6lG2AjKQ4kntJ4uCHlIbjmRzdJKC5LINYQkiAw5Xlc8kZkIs4YIviN563GsSaQrYOiYKZ8TlHVBOkF2jhr

Proceeding the nominations for Okarir’hiylun, Muriel looks upon the crowd once more with a stoic expression, nodding to the final contender as they took their seat, the debate coming to a close. With a resounding intonation, the moderator utters yet another proclamation to the elves seated in the chamber, continuing the planned progression of the occasion. 

“With the conclusion of one debate, comes another for the sake of progress.

Our next session shall be that in nomination for the position of Elokarir’nor, the guardian of the Land, whose duties now encompass that of Elokarir’leyun and Elokarir’akaln.”

The Uradir abruptly pauses oncemore, watchful eyes panning across the crowd to discern potential candidates.

“Thus, those that wish to nominate themselves for the position of Okarir’nor, you may now deliver speeches regarding your competence for the position. Naturally, any that wishes to debate the nominee on their policies shall do so at their leisure.”

8aaFY77QMYXY7Zx9WNUCtho-2CVWDmyjpbStKOj39TYTsY1bNyNELM0gVh-49xZFyq9gyak_7GP3dkUrNs2YDdH-MTyI5BmzkSCPOFl5MtQlMNJh39nrgfoEBWfxwC0-3QlG1ZmJ

For further clarification on the duties of the Okarir’nor, refer to constitution linked as follows:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12yZYi43wh98JUkEcywJwepU8oebtD-ChcwDhsEUzbG8/edit#heading=h.y86lyqk3mioh

Spoiler

OOC notice: The thread will be open for 48 hours before elections for the position officially open. Responses to this post should be limited to SPEECHES for nominations or questions for candidates, with text preceded by your character posed for roleplay immersion. Use https://minecraft.novaskin.me/ to pose your skin.

Pose1.thumb.png.8fd759b15f761c91da966bc9b1e14c88.png

Elathion stepped up, presenting himself.

“Karin’ayla, lliran. I am hereby presenting myself to run for Okarir’nor. I believe myself to be the most capable candidate in the city. 
I have long ran a succesful company which specializes in acquisition of goods, and as such I believe myself to be perfectly capable of supplying the city with all it might need, from food for the citizenry, to metals for the Sillumir, to the various building materials one might need for future construction projects! 

In that same trend, I am planning to encourage Mali’thill to form their own companies to bring further wealth to our city, and to ensure an influx of both goods and minas into our fair Silver State. Events to promote the citizenry gathering or producing goods, to once again grow the industrious spirit of our people.

Together with a skilled Tilruir’leyun, I promise you that I shall work my hardest to ensure our city remains as beautiful as it always has. Under our supervision, any future construction projects will not be outdone by past projects in splendor and beauty. We shall act against any urban decay that may appear, to ensure our city remains the beautiful gem it is today.

Please, if you have any questions, do ask away. I wish to put everyone’s mind at ease, and do my best to convince you all that I would do fine in this position.”

“I cannot support a man who can’t stick a sick dab without wearing his armor. Disgraceful!”

OCXiV5B.png

Kaelan Aldin looked over to Elathion as he nominated himself

”A fine nomination indeed, though I do have one or two questions for you, ‘llir. How would you encourage individuals to form their own companies? What sort of incentives do you have in place to encourage our ‘thill to move forward and establish their businesses?

Will you be giving el’sillumiran and the technical division within Haelun’or grants to work on various projects? For I do have one or two ideas of my own which I believe can vastly assist el’cihi in its pursuit of prosperity!”

Dabelathion.thumb.png.3757f9ea42c8c045d131893c66b59f03.png

@tasty_cheesecake @Knox

Elathion turned his attention to Kaelan, going to respond;

”Firstly, I would like to dissipate the scrutiny surrounding merchants. Previously, there were those that would shame hard working ‘Thill for being ‘greedy’ and lacking generosity, although this was often not the case. Secondly, I have a few events in mind where merchants and craftsman can bring attention to their wares. Furthermore, I would encourage ‘Thill intending to export goods to the outside world, for this would show the quality of ‘Thill craftsmanship to the world, while simultaniously bringing minas to Haelun’or.

El’sillumiran and other state divisions would be able to count on me to provide them with whatever materials and money they might need, while also ensuring they do not spend excessively. The office of the Okarir’nor must aid the other councilors and their projects, and if elected, I shall ensure they will not experience any material shortcomings.”

OCXiV5B.png

Kaelan Aldin offered Elathion a thumbs up, having been satisfied with the answer. It was evident to those around that Kaelan had supported this nominee.

----------

1f1272bf1d7878e2a6f898b9f713d702.jpg

----------

Shortly after Elathion’s conclusion, an older elfess pushes her way onto the scene, a few papers clutched in hand.

“Sorry to intrude, ah,” the woman pauses as she sidles up to where the presentations were to be conducted.
”It’s imperative that I put myself to task. I, like many another elf behind our walls have squandered chances to be productive. I don’t see this confession as a show of weakness, but rather the opposite. I am Aiera Sullas, Laurir of my esteemed family, and I do wish to act now that I find renewed courage in my heart. I nominate myself for Okarir’nor, today.”

A short pause followed as Aiera adjusts her spectacles on her nose, and shuffles some papers around, permitting her to be sure of her coming argument. 

”I can say with an educated mind that as a long standing citizen I have much to give to a position such as this. I understand that I have been a little scarce as of late, but ask for you to understand that I was afeared of the recent turmoil alone and not of the work I could do. I implore those with questions about who I am and my background to please prod me for answers. To this end, I believe my neutral position among the citizenry means I will not be led astray by any single individual to serve only their own wants and needs, rather, I’ll seek to use a solid head and firm hand to provide for the citizenry as a whole and for the whole alone.”

She took a breath as her speech began in earnest, letting those witness to it take in her affirmations before continuing.

“With that said, I intend to be dutiful in fulfilling the responsibilities expected of me. I am organized, experienced, and a capable speaker who most certainly will be checking in on all social and economic functions that could be having the need for government support. When I am not in the city square checking shops for their success and stock levels, noting my observations, and providing for new business ventures- I will be down in the farms, surveying with my own eyes the state of growth and health of every flora and fauna I can accommodate for.
I am in turns a home gardener with an eye for the needs of plants, and someone who has raised or seen livestock enough to identify issues without getting too attached to individuals and becoming emotional. I will of course be diligent to keep a tab on the water supply, and store some aside for any potential drought. This should, with the help of hired associates continue to uphold the national status of a self sustaining wealth of native goods, keeping imports down and which will lead straight back into businesses, guilds, meetings, and standalone events who will not have to wait weeks in advance for deliveries.

When it comes to the architectural, I may not be a designer myself, but I know for sure I could rally the work necessary, aid in physical construction, and arrange for the materials needed to complete the work of artists better than I. Having thought about this, an idea comes to me about a project to be attempted if I am a elected. A bunker, for non-combatants and children to run to for safety in the event of city-wide danger. I’m hopeful that I can find like-minded elves who would be up to undertaking such a task with me. Something can be said for my eye for interior, too, which if not toward official and permanent arrangements could be put to redecorating for temporary gatherings and the like.”

A small frown graces Aiera’s face as she reaches the last third of her campaign, but she lofted her chin and proclaimed the rest of her dedication to the gathered audience, taking a grave tone for the closing statements that she shared. 

“So too would the unfortunately necessary job of collecting coin for imports or emergencies fall to me, and the citizenry should feel safe knowing that I value nothing in this world that I could acquire with money alone, to the end that I would handle all dealings of the sort with utmost respect and solemnity afforded.

I have no grand illusions that I will rise to heights never seen before, rather, I will be a safe and reliable choice that is precisely what is needed in these tumultuous times. I will reaffirm what has already been built up by the people, and give them the tools to continue to succeed as is already my duty every day as a matriarch, a mother, and a silver citizen born under the shadow of the Eternal College of Larihei, which no doubt gave me the strength to stand as it did for the centuries I have seen since.

Remember the name Aiera Sullas when the ballots begin, and if you are not confident in me, you’ll find me in a position where I will prove myself worthy in another way. This I do swear.”

----------
lemon-glass-water-duane-keiser_1_dd1ec1c
----------

The Sullas woman finally withdrew from her stand and took in a tired breath, seeking some refreshment from an old water skin and tucking her papers away to patiently await any questions or counter arguments. Her head dipped respectfully to her opponent, now that it was done.

Dabelathion.thumb.png.3757f9ea42c8c045d131893c66b59f03.png

@Starryy

Elathion looked towards Aiera, beginning to respond.

“Your stated reasoning for being absent worries me, llir. Fear for turmoil? I do not believe that fear for turmoil is a quality we seek in our councilors. After all, in times of turmoil, we should be able to look to our Okarir for guidance and leadership, not have them freeze up, stand by idly or hide, like we have seen in the past.”

He paused, taking a breath, before continuing.

“You talk about checking shops for success, although I do wonder, do you have experience in merchantry? It takes more than simply overseeing it to promote healthy merchantry. While your experience and expertise with farms is certainly useful, I do wonder how you will provide elcihi with it’s other needs, such as metal for tools, weaponry and armor, and building materials, for various construction processes. 

Your idea for a bunker is certainly not a bad idea, it is already in the works. While originally started as a bunker and tunnel system for to ensure the Maheral’s safety, it shall soon be expanded to be useful for the city’s inhabitants and defenders to use in cases of emergencies, such as foreign intruders.

You claiming that gathering minas is ‘’unfortunately necessary’’ does not come across as being especially motivated. Furthermore, I believe I’ve shown to be better at this than anyone in the city, and even outside of Haelun’or, you’ll have a hard time finding anyone that is better at gathering funds than me.

I’d like to say that I immensely respect your conviction to stay around and help out, however, and it would please me greatly if, that regardless of who wins, we could still work together to ensure the city is provided in all it’s needs.”

----------

f39fe52cdd925b685a72d481e9c67d0d.jpg

----------
When Elathion was done,
the elfess nodded thoughtfully and gave herself some time to ruminate before she chose to speak up again.

”I see now that I ought to elaborate on what I meant when I explained why I was gone, I want to clarify that I have no intentions of running away from anything if I was to be voted in by the citizenry. By that time it would not only be myself and my family I am expected to personally protect, but the people at large.
Instead, I have found that the recent course of events has broken the chains of my cowardice, and imbues me with the desire to really put the work in to not any time soon feel again that my state cannot provide for me the safety to simply stay alive. I’m glad to hear there’s already elves with the same line of thinking as I have, and I eagerly await more details on that bunker with the hope that Sillumir will be given training on directing crowds to such a place in the event of trouble. I think it will make flights such as mine far less common.”

Aiera Sullas provides a brief smile as she pauses amidst her continued debate, relief awash in her to hear plans for long term security.

“To touch on matters of business though, verily, I don’t find mina needless so much as that I don’t think it’s something to be proud of. We don’t need money to live, to work, to be motivated into action as the other nations do. It is, I’ll reaffirm, unfortunately necessary that we need bits of metal at all to feel we have security in the greater realm beyond Haelun’or, when all of the treasure in the world is stored in our own minds, and on our own pages. History, legacy and progress forward are the words I would use to describe the truly wealthy. They are the real riches, as I have learned by now, cultivated throughout the centuries of our lifetime and not through the temporary objects we surround ourselves with.

But that won’t mean I intend to push aside and ignore the need the state has always had to encourage donations, because of the reality that we live in, and not the dream of a better way. I will remind discerning elves to donate excess funds acquired through their business ventures with collection boxes among other incentives, and indeed, that allows me to touch again on ‘merchantry’ as you put it.

As I disagree with the need to foster a widely successful, monetarily superior economy in Haelun’or I mean to primarily ensure that the skilled handicrafts produced in our city are given due attention and for them to be the main export and source of ‘business tourism’ here. This is aside from establishments providing services, which I would like to see more of, and of course the usual landmarks which are the reason anyone from the outside cares to visit. I have been liking the talk present during multiple debates- including this one- of festivals to celebrate artisans, to be sure.”

----------
Defense-Plea-G-Daumier-Honore-oil-painti
----------

At this point she draws once more on her water skin, clearing her throat and keeping her tone from growing hoarse at any point.

“Hopefully this has given you a little more confidence. Business works differently here, as you apparently have not noticed in all your experience, it does not need to hinge on being the difference between poverty and wealth because no elf in Haelun’or experiences the frightening struggle for wages that many others in the valleys around us do. It is for the fun of it, and the profits lead only to luxury and reassurance for the people that should one of their facilities fail them, for example a difficult season burning through the stockpiles, there will be a way to bring in what is needed to survive.

Moving onward, I would have figured that the matter of other supply chains would be rather obvious, though I understand that all avenues must be accounted for to know that a candidate will truly be thinking of anything and everything. I’ve of course had it on my mind and while I have special knowledge available to me on the agricultural side of things, I more than intend to bring on a capable Tilruir’leyun and the help of as many additional individuals as necessary to keep up the stores of everything from metal and jewels, to stone and loam.

In conclusion, I too hope we can make an attempt to become associates at the end of the election, as it’s obvious we both have the needs of the state in mind, if in differing ways. Maehr’sae hiylun’ehya, Elathion.”

----------
honor%C3%A9-daumier-conversations-d%E2%8
----------

Again bowing her head and stepping back, the Laurir sought for a break and a sit-down nearby to listen for further argument to be made, while resting herself up for any that she may have to do in return.

image.thumb.png.33ddb76ad35d1dac1079025ad3d4aa2a.png

Elathion arose again to respond to his opponent.

“While it is true that the things stored in our minds and our books are of greater value than minas, iron or building materials, such things do not belong to the duties of the Okarir’nor. If you are more concerned about cultivating knowledge within our city, you should run for Okarir’maehr instead.”

He’d pause, taking a look at the crowd, before turning back to Aiera.

“You state that we should not put our efforts towards promoting a monetary economy, right after you say we must rely on excess funds from companies to fill our own treasury. You might imagine that these two in combination are not conducive to a well funded state that can provide the other offices with whatever it may require. Simply awaiting donations, moreover, does not suffice to ensure absolute certainty that in the case of an emergency, we would be ready to deal with it financially. We must take proactive action to ensure the state is well funded.”

Once again, he took a brief breathing pause, before continuing.

“You say it is different here, and that it does not hinge on the difference between those who are rich and those who are poor, because the state provides for those in need. You are right, this is true, but the state would not be able to provide for these citizens if it were not for extensive donations from private companies, such as my own helping them spread the burden of acquiring resources and money. These benevolent companies and their ventures should be supported from the state, and given extra incentive to aid the state, besides outright generosity. While in an ideal world, our citizenry would donate all they could spare to the state, we do not live in an ideal world, and as such, must act accordingly, and prepare to make the best of it, even if the generosity of our citizenry turns out to be lacking in the case of emergencies. Furthermore, it is only fair that those who work hard to provide for our state should be ”

Elathion continued on afterwards, just as fiery as before.

”In this trend, I do agree with promoting our artisans, however, to ensure that the superior quality of Mali’thill goods will ensure success when exporting them elsewhere. That said, it is not just artisans and their finished products that must be promoted, for the Haelun’orian iron export has proven itself to be a great boon to our economy. All facets of Haelun’orian economic life must be promoted by positively incentivizing citizens to make money by exporting goods. If, in doing so, this also creates a blooming national economy among ourselves, I’m absolutely for it. Let all ‘Thill bring their talents to the table to produce, gather and create Haelun’orian goods to make our state prosper economically again.”

----------
retrieve.php?size=1280&type=image&vernon
----------

Aiera Sullas returned to Elathion’s side when she was ready, which was only when she had taken a great pause, still filled with vigor yet unspent when the time came. Her eyebrows flared, one a little higher than the other, and she began.

”Asking me to have instead run for okarir’maehr by twisting what I have said is nothing but insulting, and I have been civil with you thus far. You go on to question my readiness to do any of the duties I have clearly and concisely advocated myself to doing simply because I believe there should not be a monetary element, which you are having a great fixation with, and have the audacity to advertise your own contributions to the state as if they are a gracious privilege we’re experiencing while you are with us that you demand physical reward for.”

She pauses only briefly, and then took to a frown prior to her further statement.

If you wished to be ennobled for owning a successful business, you should run for a position in the Orenian government instead.

----------
Brooklyn_Museum_-_The_Two_Colleagues_(La
----------

“My focus not being monetary does not equate to my focus being unemployment or slave labor.
Unless there is a new argument that you would like to make that isn’t one we have already addressed, I close further discussion with you and implore any other elves with questions to speak up when we gather for elections. I will not deign to spend hours nitpicking every detail of my opening speeches with my opponent and maintain my previous statements in full.
I’ll see you at the Q-and-A, so good day, Mr. Elathion.”

It was at this point that the older elfess sought to return to her rest area calmly, lifting from her pocket a booklet of poetry and settling in to read while remaining on the scene until the nominations concluded.
RpdjkYP.png