Pontifical Address to the Priesthood

Iudaes

dN2hNgc7iuSqoNn78ijEfcXYmC8aYyihzFAFWjl-Orlm2DP__JC4TeXvT2LkpjVG_dgxVgs8gyQyEkUeHqIMAcyywi3_SBLXYUiwgTMEGluZ9RyOnL68IzwU-cjjT03oTd5qhWMY

THE TRANSCRIPTION OF THE
PONTIFICAL ADDRESS TO THE PRIESTHOOD

Written and Published by
The Pontifical Office of Jude II

MfEm2Z71S322awY0lEqbn-m5noiB_5nsSbKcediMQGHZQBoC0TOJhfSSafdAT0ogwE8eChcuBLeKzI6Q1f4ff3e4mA9DYgxGiB9m4c9Ld2rjYmIk3yNoRD3h97t2v4nbVBeH87bi

Gc5mshJpyq0zod_yRtruJ8h8i9-jatFzR0h7HSiEoS-Xpokwl9ZL2zcGIDBR_Mts16zB7QwiM4H24FZbOhpSmXPILUgqgamwH7uzYo7vAtwW1rVpC8RTaUG_awdICo-C5KhtEz7H

Brothers.

My most faithful and dedicated shepherds. 

I greet you warmly. It has been but a few months since I have ascended to the Immaculate Throne and already am graced by the dedication of the clergy. Even when we mourn the most saddening deaths of our fellow men of the cloth, I see the fire burning within your hearts; a passion which remains ever present for the faith. In seeing this, I am joyous. However, even with a passion burning as great as the flames which enveloped so the holy sword of Exalted Owyn, it is necessary to remember our values as men of the cloth so as to not be driven away from the path of the shepherd, even despite our fidelity to God and the God ordained mission.

Today, I wish to speak on one particular idea of which has left our great forefathers pondering for decades: the relation of the Church and mystery. It has been throughout our Church’s history that such a question has been asked: should the Church be mysterious? There are many examples of a mysterious Church, these telling the story of a Church which, in it’s drive to remain respected perhaps, or purely spiritual, shuts itself off from the world. I speak of those who bring the Church into a state of mystery for various reasons. Whether it be to promote reverence among the faithful or ensure that the Church is easily defended from those who may attack Her, it matters naught. Despite the necessity for these reasons, the method is incorrect. We should not be mysterious brothers! I ask you this. Does a good shepherd remain safe and sound in the cabin all day while his flock wanders aimlessly about the fields? Or, brothers, does a good shepherd take up the crozier and walk with his flock? I’d say it’s certainly the latter.

Now, many who support a mysterious Church may say, ‘God is mysterious and in so doing, He calls His Church to do the same.’ To that I say simply, we are not God. While we may be some of the most vital faithful in His mission, we are of Him, not Him. We are shepherds, brothers! Is a good shepherd mysterious to his flock? No, brothers. A good shepherd is known to his flock, among his flock, of his flock. He guides by example and guides with them, not to them. We are not God and so, we should not be mysterious like Him. It is God who has purpose in mysteriousness, a purpose which He did ordain Himself: to be the source of all things good and to reward unto the virtuous, salvation; to create and to love His Creation, and so on. It is God who has that purpose in mysteriousness but I ask you, my most beloved brothers: would we have purpose in mysteriousness?

Well, I’d first ask you: can the shepherd guide the sheep whilst in the cabin? I say again, I think not. So, do we have purpose in mysteriousness? No, revered shepherds, we do not. I stress this to you, here and now: mystery is not the way. To be truly revered is to lie in the hearts of the faithful. God is not worshipped by hollow words but heartful words. So too are we not revered and respected with hollow gestures and words but through heartful ones. But I speak this unto you now; we are not going to reside in the hearts of God’s faithful unless we are present in their hearts. So, it is we who must be present in their daily lives.

This is why I am most proud to be Pontiff of this great and holy institution. I can see it in your eyes, in your words, in your hearts; you all have a great passion for the faith and I am sure in so doing, you are not mysterious. No, I am sure that you are present among your flock, treading this path with them and guiding all along the way. This is why I am so proud of our Church, for we take this vocation seriously because we know it is not from some bureaucrat but the Lord Himself. We know it is from Him. Him, brothers! In this truth, I see such steadfastness in your duty and for this I am indebted to all in this chamber.

I beseech you all. Continue on this path with these words in mind, brothers. If so, we shall truly be a great Church; not one of mystery, not one wholly spiritual nor wholly worldly but a Church bringing the spiritual unto the world. Thank you, brothers.

Dei gratia,
Jude II

Address given on the 10th of Owyn’s Light, 1808

xZNY1t92XTaKNxkRqCaDCXp7hYJXZRqL8T8LJv4LUYxyldlQ4GlxIfX0X-6J6tVLf32aCIjkm5Ri3IVR4hn6hw1l45NZba77NWrCnhK8fT00VhzH0SdNSi9_RERmO2LEMSJo3qf_

INSTAURARE OMNIA IN DEO
RESTORE ALL THINGS IN GOD

duqLK5s8PgM_d3SjWRYPNDS2DeCnDWy3hzWrZMRacaW8xfoz5essewiUjG4t7HK1PmFnnM5d7r_ULO_98UvjPMYHiLu2zd8RmZ1UGaoSlFiEtfxUkIGaYnqSA2AaYtnCR6pEEa2Z