[✗] [Magic Lore] Elementalism

L0rdLawyer

A little disappointed this just turned into a discussion of grrr staff bad or grr old shamans bad. I think having an actual discussion on shamanism, magic quotas, and activity responsibility could be really productive(especially as a lot of orcs are coming out of the woodwork). I have no real investment in whether a majority of the subtypes come back (at the moment), but I think there is a large confusion on what the players of orcs and shamanism want and need from staff, as well as understanding the responsibilities of the people leading the roleplay (orcs, delves, shamanic constructs, antags, etc).

5 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

. They have the most cultural aspects of Shamanism still in lore, yet it's ignored and basically neglected by those communities. Why is this? I do not know, but I also know that if we forcefully reinjected it into the orcish playerbase currently. There's really three options that would happen, which would be below.

I think its a pretty bold lie to say that shamanism has been ignored by the orcish community when there have always been attempts to revive, continue, and ensure the magic stays alive. To ignore the rewrites and how many times shamanism has had to rewrite and amend itself entirely because of a minority of players has been ridiculous.

I don't think staff need to spoonfeed orcs events, but to say that players are the most important part is pretty gross and spitting in the face of a lot of people when a majority of staff cater to their playerbase (not a bad thing), and groups like paladins/holy magics/mystics get entire event areas and storylines. 

I think having more orcish staff would be nice, or at least people who pretend to care beyond Joel on the situation of the orcish community.  Consistently putting us far away from everyone else on the map and insisting that pretty decent lore needs to be written on the behest of bad players anytime something happens rather then just adding more redlines is pretty insane.  Shelving lore because DrFate did something bad irp (yes this happened with my muyakelgs) is so frustrating because it ensures that shamans don't want to teach people in fear their magic gets gutted.

This could also be in part to elementalism being one of the strongest magics combatively, though all branches of shamanism have felt similar pains from certain players.  I think if it was to come back, huge restrictions on where the magic could be cast and how could be a solution to just making it a pvp magic or require more structure/engaging roleplay to complete those feats of city sinking or terraforming. 

Please punish the few instead of the many (wolfkite included).  

This has inspired me to make a post about discussing all of this in a more organized and structured manner in the future.  There's definitely more I want to talk about, so it'll be put in a post eventually. 

Hope this encourages staff to talk to some of the more active orcs to see what they might want/could get help with, though staff has helped us in the past with tile and magic stuff, and I appreciate it when it has helped us. 

11 minutes ago, Panashea said:

I don't think staff need to spoonfeed orcs events, but to say that players are the most important part is pretty gross and spitting in the face of a lot of people when a majority of staff cater to their playerbase (not a bad thing), and groups like paladins/holy magics/mystics get entire event areas and storylines. 

The so called event areas are not true event areas at all. It is a player event, sourced by a player ran magic. I have never seen an event based entirely off of mysticism unless its the playerbase attempting to create an apparition and dealing with the aftermath of such. Mystics have never gotten a storyline from staff. We create it for ourselves.

16 minutes ago, Gamma said:

snip

I am speaking in past tense. I haven't been on enough in recent times see every magic groups  actions or interactions with staff.  The point still stands that other groups and playerbases have staff representation or people on the staff willing to help/give them activity.  This isn't to say that orcs or shamans don't receive this, just that the onus has never been always on the responsibility of the playerbase on itself.  I would still love to see staff members interact more with orcs, though I don't think many care or understand. 

Edited by Panashea