Thesis of a Squire: CHIVALRY

Thesis of a Squire:

CHIVALRY

eJLUH1w1BCLE5519xvG6Aq7gmsHJZovnAu7dc6oXcuIzG94QiMvAUXp-qvruhQ0U59GIIf6iD9XQLdvsBZ8gkVK9kzCZLKzrhyMvfILYA7kuYbP6mpGrTBEMxPyemY4WjK-xzRBI

"Krusae ve mitel ag kursainlesz nod aiiel."

A Knight, a man; a Dame, a woman. It is but mere descendants that make up the ranks of many Knightly orders, be they ones who have ceased to exist for ages, or operating ones. Common men and women are those who fill in the roles of Knights. Not Aenguls, not Daemons. Yet, upon mentioning a Knight’s name, many find themselves in wonder, or even in awe at times, by the existence of such a figure. It is a figure which has accomplished many great deeds, a figure that is held in high prestige, and a figure that fights not only for kin.

Within the Haeseni Order of the Crow, many prospective squires are asked questions about what they think of Knighthood, how they perceive it and what they expect of it. Many different squires provide many different answers. One such question concerned the squire’s favourite Code of Chivalry, frequently asked by both Ser Ivan “the Red Bull'' and Ser Brandt “the Patient”. Even during their squireship, prospective Knights are constantly reminded of the Code of Chivalry, and constantly told to abide by it. We must even go through the Trial of Chivalry, in which we travel to many different nations and settlements to offer our services and help the residents. Without completing this trial, a squire may not become a Knight.

The Code of Chivalry followed by all Haeseni Knights goes as follows:

I: To live not for oneself, but for Godan, King and Kingdom;

II: To stand stalwart in the light of Godan and the teachings of His Church;

III: To protect the Crown;

IV: To protect and serve the weak and defenseless from evil;

V: To guard not only the flesh and blood of the Crown, but their name and honor alike;

VI: To never refuse a challenge from an equal, and to never fight dishonorably;

VII: To treat others always with kindness, respect and chivalry;

VIII: To travel the Kingdom questing in aid of her people;

IX: To always be loyal, to brother, sister, King and Kingdom.

594af9402ed7bb73ef745b27609401ed.jpg

Yet, despite many answers offered by prospective Knights during their squiring day, one question still remains… What does it truly mean to be a Knight? Is it defined by the first, second, fourth or the seventh Code of Chivalry? Some say a Knight must first of all be loyal, as does Lord Paramount Cedric “the Kind”, together with Ser Zoddric “Ironclad”, some others believe martial strength is the answer, as did Ser Alric “the Cavalier”.

I hold a belief on my own, and, as the title of this thesis suggests, my answer is “Chivalry”. That was my answer during my squiring meeting as well, and yet I was told by the Paramount that the answer is Loyalty. I agreed then with a nod and accepted the answer, though upon further inner debate on the question, I remain firm on my former answer. Chivalry truly is what makes a Knight.

Shouldn’t a Knight first of all be loyal to their Koeng and Kingdom? 
Yes, they should, but so should be every soldier.
Shouldn’t a Knight be the best of warriors? 
Yes, they should, but so should the soldiers of the Koeng’s army, who have fought and defeated many enemies of the Kingdom, be they descendants or Daemons.
Shouldn’t a Knight be honorable?
Yes, they should, but so are many men and women of Haense who have fought and even died for their honor.

If these are all that is required to become a Knight, does it mean that a Knight is merely a glorified soldier? Or more importantly, should a Knight be merely a glorified soldier? I believe not, and many agree with me. These are the many who find themselves wondering and even awed at the mention of a Knight; the countless many who have idolized at least one Knight during their lifetime. But why aren’t the Captains of his Koeng’s army held in the same regard? They are all loyal subjects, excellent warriors, and honorable men and women.

It is because, whilst they are some of the most excellent Haeseni, their identity is not evolved around chivalry. This pillar of Knighthood is the missing link, and the true answer as to what defines a Knight, what makes them stand out. Chivalry is selflessness, it is gallantry and it is dutifulness. It is the will and the law by which a Knight lives, one by which a Knight dies. A squire is taught of the Code of Chivalry, and goes through the Trial of Chivalry to reach such understanding, to be accustomed to it. They go out of their way and into foreign land, be it land of allies or otherwise, they offer themselves as a sacrifice to accommodate other’s needs. The Chivalrous Knight thinks of the others before he thinks of himself, the ideal Knight is the pinnacle of human perfection, one that is based on love of GOD and his creations.

True chivalry is not about the dramatic romance between a Knight of tales and his beautiful lady, it is not about a Knight who is distinguished by his shining armour and high steed, those are artistic depictions of what a ought to make a Knight, his shining soul and high virtue. No, true chivalry is about duty, selflessness and love, not necessarily romantic love, but love extending to all those a Knight must protect, in the name of both Kingdom and GOD. For it is a knight’s duty to bring forth the best of both himself and his Kingdom, and through pure embodiment of chivalry may they do this, and much more.

Through the idolization of the gallant and chivalrous knight can the common man become a better creation of GOD, one that idolizes selflessness in all his actions, and does everything out of love and duty. The existence of a Kingdom in which all its subjects abide by these values is a Kingdom similar to that of GOD, similar to the Third of the Seven Skies and upwards, where those blessed offered themselves for GOD and their Kingdom, and thus reap the fruits of their virtues.

May Chivalry never die, and may its Knights beacon its wise, Godly teachings to all. KRUSAE ZWY KONGZEM.

His Excellency, Erich Barclay , Lord Treasurer of Hanseti-Ruska, Duke of Reinmar, Count of Kretzen, Baron of Sigradz and Freising, Lord of Freisburg and Wilheburg, Chief of the Reinmaren

Dedicated to Queen Johanna I of Sutica @Axelu as part of a squire's Chivalry Trial