THE MAYOR’S OFFICE OF SAN LUCIANO Penned by the Office of the Lord Steward On the 4th of Deep Cold, 1937
Any terms in this Edict referencing the ‘Lord Mayor’ shall also apply to the ‘Lady Mayor’ respectively.
Since time immemorial, Man has required leadership. He has required governance and he has required management. Likewise, since time immemorial, Man has had leaders, princes, kings, emperors. However, as a Principality grows, so do its subjects, and so does the responsibility of governing these subjects. Thus, as the domains of His Serene Highness expand, so does the work required to to oversee and administer these domains.
For this reason, with the counsel and permission of His Serene Highness, Oliver Renault de Savoie, the Lord Steward of Savoy finds it fit to found the Lord Mayor’s Office of San Luciano, the Crown City of Savoy.
THE LORD MAYOR’S OFFICE
As of the establishment of the Lord Mayor’s Office, it shall be that the Office is held under the supervision and authority of the Office of the Lord Steward.
As of this Edict, penned in 41 SA, the head of the Lord Mayor’s Office shall be the Lord Mayor himself, who officially shall be defined as:
- The Lord Mayor of San Luciano shall be any Canonist man or woman of GOD, who resides in the City of San Luciano. Those of the elven or dwarven race may only be allowed to be nominated as candidates upon permission from His Serene Highness, the Prince of Savoy. - The Lord Mayor of San Luciano shall be of any legitimate birth and any class, be they Serfs, Plebeians, Patricians, Nobles, or Royals. - The Lord Mayor of San Luciano must have reached the age of adulthood, having passed their 18th year by the time elections occur. - The Lord Mayor of San Luciano shall be elected by the people of San Luciano, thus holding Office for 4 (four) years. Upon the end of their tenure, the former Mayor may put themselves forth as a candidate once more. One individual cannot run for the position for more than three elections.
- The Lord Mayor of San Luciano shall be tasked with the management and administration of the City of San Luciano, which may include, but is not limited to:
Management of social and cultural institutions: including the writing of literature of Savoyard culture, organization of city-wide events, etcetera.
Representation of the people of San Luciano in the Office of the Lord Steward, who in turn shall act as an intermediary to the Prince’s Council. Furthermore, they shall sit in the Grand Assembly as Representative of the Common People.
Assisting the growth of San Luciano’s economy with help from the Office of the Lord Steward and Royal Treasurer alike, making sure that businesses are provided the best opportunities for growth.
Assisting the Holy Church with the upholding of faith within the city: such as organizing events to feed the poor, city-wide prayers, etcetera.
Changing or presenting new infrastructure in San Luciano, reassuring that the city’s appearance remains as vibrant and efficient as possible
Managing the Town Criers of San Luciano, as well as other workers under the Office of the Lord Mayor.
THE ELECTIONS OF SAN LUCIANO
As important as the role of the aforementioned leaders are, equally important are the ways these leaders of Man are chosen, as well as the following of such systems. Thus, the process through which the Lord Mayor of San Luciano is elected, shall be established as follows:
- THE GATHERING OF THE POPULACE: The Lord Steward, - or someone of their choosing in the case of their absence - is to call a town gathering, accumulating as residents as possible during the beginning of the year, preferably during the Amber’s Cold or the Deep Cold (OOC: Monday or Tuesday) before the elections. There, they shall announce the upcoming elections for the position of the Lord Mayor in front of the populace. After such announcement, the Nominations of Candidates shall begin, and those able and willing may register themselves as nominees for the position of Lord Mayor.
- THE FIRST INTRODUCTIONS: Once the Nominations begin, during the same gathering of the populace, those willing to put themselves forth as nominees, will be given the stage to briefly introduce themselves, their ideologies and their plans to the Populace, thus being able to address the people of San Luciano directly.
- THE NOMINATIONS OF CANDIDATES: The phase of the Nomination of Candidates shall then begin after the addresses, and those who decide to run for the position shall have the next month to sign themselves up.
- THE CAMPAIGNS: As soon as a candidate steps forth for the position, they shall have the remainder of the Saint’s Week, until the end of the Grand Harvest (OOC: Saturday) to carry out their campaigning around San Luciano. Campaign posts are encouraged, though even more encouraged and allowed shall be further gatherings of the populace for the spreading of the Candidates’ agendas and ideas; for it is important to know the people, in order to serve the people. Such gatherings can be conducted by Candidates as long as they do not overlap with official city events or greatly disturb the city’s peace. Town Criers may be called upon in order to carry out the gathering of the populace for any Candidate’s address.
- THE ELECTIONS: After the Campaigns, the Elections shall begin during the Sun’s Smile (OOC: Sunday), and shall last through the entirety of the month, and all the populace of San Luciano shall be able to vote for their preferred candidate. At the end of the Sun’s Smile, the elections shall end, and the Lord Mayor of San Luciano shall be formally introduced publicly. ((OOC: Elections will last from 4pm EST Saturday, until 4pm EST Sunday)
THIS EDICT MAY BE USED AS THE FIRST FORM FOR THE NOMINATIONS OF CANDIDATES UPON PUBLICATION
((OOC: Nominated candidates will have until 4pm EST on Wednesday))
THE CENSUS OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF SAVOY
Making use of this edict to reach out to the fair people of all Savoy, the Office of the Lord Steward would humbly ask all of the populace to fill in the Principality’s Census.
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE CENSUS MAY BE NOMINATED AS CANDIDATES FOR LORD MAYOR, OR MAY VOTE DURING ELECTIONS.
THE TOWN CRIERS OF SAN LUCIANO
Lastly, following this Edict, the positions of Town Criers shall be introduced in the City of San Luciano. For it is not only important that the leadership of Man is established to lead a Principality, but that Man himself is knowledgeable and informed about their Principality.
As such, Town Criers will be workers under the Office of the Lord Mayor, and shall be managed by the Lord Mayor. The Criers can be of any birth, gender or race, and must have reached the age of 12.
Town Criers shall be tasked to publicly inform the Populace of San Luciano of any important news concerning the Principality, its vassals, the Canonist faith, etcetera.
In the case of important news needing to be spread, Town Criers may organize Gatherings of Populace with the permission of the Lord Mayor, so that they may all be informed and even discuss the relevant topics and announcements. The Criers shall be led by the Lord Mayor, and in their absence, by the Lord Steward.
IN NOMINE DEI,
HIS SERENE HIGHNESS, Olivier Renault Ashford de Savoie, Prince of Savoy, Duke of Corazon, Count of San Luciano
HIS EXCELLENCY, Ernst Barclay, Lord Steward of San Luciano, Royal Exchequer of Savoy