The Chancery & Wayshrine Tradition

Valannor

Spoiler

[!] The following thesis is made available only to the Vigils of Light, The Order of the Golden Lion, and the Order of the Sunlit Spear, and their associated members.

fw4kBCLdweE414LgudHBO3RJfN_udXo9_Z2lkYC7TOJPAwRFkIPS5TV0GkZ00csPfyB7yfVrEMuUoTpKtL3T32AXqkQzodZb-Tj5YWf0VgrSBuU4C3fHx-tJCdw8ESr6_PtOTno5

Authored by Tarathiel Asul’onn, Year 54 of the Second Age, 11th of the Grand Harvest

SYAXOiNXEj52ZPzKxmwAEpmLn0I7PxRhvSCeQt-xeYGaa-xqioeH4Q5LWlZmRQbXZY7J_xO0jfO6Fk-XOgJGP__XdSRj932ZEzM7Ug5SwKv2Ne4llnViGf851xhKQU5vlfnDKTvv

Lp4CaXAVMYzF1eyQq_YO2T_feNlQsFFwMNisrVhm_hIDvOC6AtMOYpAgpIv8pQBvY2VaMxHJDJgs5KxuX2i7Klwu783BBHPG1k6YFijYbahHdL-L16VR8wbh13dZEvIBGvRfTbb6

Chanceries. That which our ilk live and die by, which allows us to survive as an institution - in many ways, that which acts as the beating heart for Order’s Chosen, as they enable artifice and mist-weaving unparalleled by other structures of its sort. Often housed within the hearts of our chapters and orders, these constructs are often opulent in their nature, adorned with murals and the like - but, in truth, what is a Chancery?

A Chancery, for those of you who have not yet been taught, is a structure dedicated to the Lord of Sunlight, and His dogma, which act as fonts of power through which we may draw upon the purest power of Order - that of sapphire, to ordain and kindle individuals with His Light. However, beyond their obvious material significance, they bear a great deal of cultural worth in their own right; Chanceries are most often utilized as sites of reverence for our forebears long since passed, chiefest among which being the Ten Apostles - Xan’s first, and greatest, servants upon the mortal realm. Here, we pay our respects to our fallen kindred, often lighting candles or dedicating busts, statues, and murals to their triumphs and sacrifices on the Path. It is in the Chancery that the dead are laid to rest, that the uninitiated swear their oaths, that we meditate on matters of justice, order, and guardianship - and most importantly, where we maintain covenant and communion with our Lord. They act as beacons of hope and havens of safety in times both dark and not, places where we may rest our weary feet at the end of a long crusade. They are in equal fashion our churches and our homes, and for some, even our graveyards and mausoleums. For those constructing a Chancery, it is usually advised to dedicate an entire structure to their housing, such that they may be properly tailored to the legacy they draw upon - at the smallest, a hidden cavern’s worth of space usually suffices, or hidden away in undercrofts and dungeons. Those of different races usually hold different opinions on how the Chancery is to be constructed - for example, a son of Horen may deem it unfit for anything less than an opulent church-like setting to be the centerpiece of such a hallowed ground, while a descendant of Urguan would prefer something carven of rock and stone, designed in a far more utilitarian fashion. Whatever the case may be, it is vital that such spaces are maintained and kept in mint condition by their caretakers, and if one is to be desecrated… then give no quarter to those who'd committed such a foul act. 

To be given the permission, the privilege even, of consecrating a chancery is an honor. Oftentimes grandiose ceremonies are performed to celebrate the occasion, while other times it is a far more somber affair, depending on the happenings of late. Typically, these take the form of convents wherein ritual prayer and sacrifice is offered to the Lion, ranging anywhere from a handful of individuals to a large gathering of ten or more. Once the rite has reached its conclusion, the responsibility thereafter falls to the individual to upkeep the holy space, and to maintain it immaculately as best they can. If one is uncertain what duties are expected of them, it is typically advised to meditate on such o'er prayer within the grounds they've constructed; the answer typically comes in due time thereafter, and providence shall guide one's hand in this hallowed task. The entirety of the Chapter, or indeed Order, to which the Chancery plays host to is expected to aid in it's continued survival however, in addition to it's primary caretaker - this chiefly being in it's defense, or it's transportation should circumstances require it. Do not forsake that which cradles you so sweetly, so dearly, before you would fall upon your own sword. The Chancery is your home. Treat it as one. 

To erect a hallowed beacon of radiance is not limited strictly to vaunted Chanceries, however. While not everyone will be granted such a privilege in their lifetime, there is a far more recent tradition to be observed, and indeed practiced, should one wish to be closer to the Sunlit Lord; that of constructing Wayshrines. These structures are typically far smaller than a Chancery, and far less grand in scope, though their purpose is nevertheless important in the grand design. They commonly take the form of stone pillars, altars, or otherwise humble and unassuming places of reverence in the wilderness, typically high on mountain peaks or areas where the sun shines brightest - the site of Hilan's Sacrifice being chiefest among which, where the sun almost seems to blaze eternally, if one were to lose track of time and be lost in the moment.

TlFPIc-ngBNh781zWfllRxkWdCQYihT6EmoRFagFMG7kfmOnve1fb74ghbXGNX0_t4ai92TAppr_4PcX9ajLyQDj-GZ8jnPiTDsdkPYwnRFs35Bkre8zeM9_D12vOtPIUZO7iZ3h

[!] The Wayshrine of Hilan's Sacrifice, as recorded at the time of construction.

One may adorn their Wayshrine as they wish, though I personally choose to scribe portents of our history upon them, for those who would wish to learn of our past. They may be decorated with enchantments to provide rest for a weary traveler, painted with ornate artworks and murals of battles long since won or lost, or merely inscribed with scripture and prayer - if such were to suit one's fancy. It is vital, however, that these sites act as places of communion for the Gray to seek the Light of Order, and His Servants; usually, leaving a method of contact or way of reaching out likes is best, but more inventive methods could be devised that I have not yet foreseen. These shrines act as monuments, in many ways, and help us to remember that we are as much a part of this realm as the stone and rock, and as the Gray we have been charged to protect. It is expected that one periodically ventures out to repair them, given the likelihood of damage, or to touch up and add to them as one sees fit. A favorite of mine is to use paints crafted from golden Deep's Gleam, a peculiar aquatic plant with glowing bulbs, as the paint will shine with luminance for as long as the sun had granted it's kiss to it. Or, if you're so inclined, you may even weave a tale into an enchanted object and embed it within the shrine, to allow those who stumble upon it to see a more enticing glimpse at that which you wish to display. 

As I endeavor to put more of our tradition and lore to paper, I humble myself through ignorance; there is much that we do not know of our past, for better or for worse. Though we retread that sunlit road, we must always remember to keep pushing forwards, even if the past would chain us down. Tradition is a tool to help us remember our roots, my reader, but it should never bind us like shackles and cause us to lose sight of that which matters most. My inkwell runs dry, this night, and so this thesis on the practices of yore draws to a conclusion, much to my chagrin. Remember to hold your loved ones close, my lliran, and cherish things both past and future. The present, after all, is a gift. 

May your paths be Sunlit, and happy holidays be upon you this Krugsmas,

Tarathiel Asul'onn, Chaptermaster of the Lions of Lorraine, Warden of the Order of the Golden Lion. 

Did not receive this missive, because he was not a recipient of who it was addressed - though in another cosmic life, he might convey that is well written.