Forget me Not

Unwillingly

Rain was no foreign happening to the human capital of Providence. Its outdoor plants thrived under the rich downpour of rain, seldom having to be tended to, and it's people understood this. They became privy to this weather. Sometimes it drizzled like a river's mist, other times it fell as a raging downpour.

Cass had heard the cries of preachers and theorists — men who believed the rain to be a sign of anarchy or disaster, sometimes even a sign from God. The war had led many to turn to Him for guidance. 

Guidance was something that could only be bartered and bribed for, bought and sold, so how could they be blamed? Humans, though fragile in longevity, were a people founded upon faith and reliance, and Cass had grown to realize this during his time with them. 

Elves find kinship in blood. Humans find kinship in faith. That's what sets them apart, and he was no different. It reminded him of home.

He was never taught to practice familial bonds, nor sacrifice his undying loyalty to the winter dragon. There were greater things to prioritize, and in his youth, he never understood why more often than not. It came as fact, something objective rather than to be debated. It was often said that it was his responsibility, simply for the reason that he was born of a hopeless mother and a father who pawned his own son in the pursuit of greatness. He never understood the importance of etiquette, manners, verbal eloquence, clean handwriting, brushed hair, buttoned shirts, every step meant to be taken with unfathomable precision.

But he did understand love. He did understand how to love, and what it was to be loved. What it was to feel what he was not meant to feel, and it was the only thing he could hold on to if not his brother.

So what went wrong?

It was a question Cass had pushed to the back of his mind, but it always seemed to resurface. To ponder such an ache-inducing question was  a terrible thing for him, so like many other things, he chose not to linger on it.

But it always crept back.

What went wrong?

Of course, two young brothers marred by a childhood of neglect and abuse were not free of their own squabbles. It was a recurring thing for them to partake in verbal disputes, perhaps more abnormal for them not to. They always moved on, however, be it the same night or a week from then. They always found solace with one another, and it was the unspoken truth between them. Many things did not need the words.

Yet, there was something so tragic in their love for one another, something so cold and harsh — a bone-rattling realization that often came as a question with little more than an aching throat for an answer.

If they could not find peace with each other, then where would they find it?

Spoiler

when i first wrote this i didn't plan on posting it to the forums, but i liked it enough so i did 

this is just an excerpt diving into the current story between my character and his brother played by @Epistile.  it makes a lot more sense with context and backstory, but obv that's to be discovered in RP

if you read, hope you enjoyed o7

Ryunthur clasped his hands around the hilt of his waraxe, the blade of his weapon glistening in the dimly lit lanternlight. The dame which accompanied him smoked on her cigar, the smoke tendrils leaving her mouth being illuminated in that same light. Under hushed voices, they discussed the recent events which had taken place, the tragedies that had separated Ryunthur from his brother. There was only one solution they could come up with in dealing with this problem.

It was death. Darcassan must die.