REMEMBRANCE: Alchemy as Sacrilege

Nozgoth

Spoiler

REMEMBRANCE:

Alchemy as Sacrilege

Preface

What follows is the denunciation not of alchemy as a whole, but of the modern alchemist who warps its original meaning and purpose. Its power has long been abused. Its origin has long been forgotten. This thesis does not mean to call out or reprimand any specific individual(s), but rather to make it known that there are many who corrupt it, and unless there is a paradigm shift, that corruption may leak into the Church if it has not already.

I. Faithful Alchemy

Alchemy, since its inception, has always acted as a bridge between science and magic. Some practitioners lean more towards the science side, some consider it wholly a magic, and others treat it as though it is an art. The latter I believe to be the most appropriate and faithful; for anything but this seeks to use it as a tool for individual desire and benefit (and treats it with a lack of respect). Alchemy can, and historically has, fit into Canon law by being faithful and appropriately used. 

Q. “But do we not treat other things of nature as a tool? Is it unfaithful to chop down a tree and use it to build?”

A. Alchemy meddles with the very fabric of the world, it is the manipulation of the fibers and elements that our plane was woven with. Does this not mean that we are manipulating what was once manipulated by GOD for our own benefit, and hence using a quasi-magical practice to bring ourselves beyond our role as Man and closer to His level as GOD? “16 So to you magicians, I admonish: GOD is unknowable. 17 He cannot be divided nor made again, and His mysteries are the holy mysteries. 18 No art is alike to His boundless ability.” (Scroll of Spirit, 6).

Q. “Surely, though, this would mean that all alchemy is profane and forbidden?”

A. In accordance, once more, with The Holy Scrolls; we were given hardships, diseases, and struggles both of spiritual and physical makeup. To counter this, we were as well given the cures to these struggles. “5 And as I have created for you the struggles of the world, so too do I create the struggles of the spirit. 6 And as I have created the struggles of the world and the spirit, so too do I bring their remedies. 7 For I have given you the pains of the world, and I have given you their cure. 8 And you shall know the trials of this theater of virtue, and know that they shall strengthen you.” (Scroll of Virtue, 5). To use alchemy to heighten the spirit or soul is clear blasphemy, for we were given faith as a means to rise in that column and fulfill our duty. However, we were given remedies and cures to our physical maladies. This is where alchemy might be acceptable as long as it is used faithfully, and for a just cause beyond oneself. A sword is no more evil than its wielder.

II. Alchemy as a Tool

The former section distinguished when alchemy is appropriate and detailed the importance of faith and understanding when using it. This section focuses on the cancer that infects the minds of many alchemists, alchemy as a tool. The fact of the matter is; alchemy is not but a tool. It is a facet of GOD, and must be treated as such. To use alchemy as a tool for selfishness, sin, or desire, is to blaspheme GOD. It is akin to using prayer, or twisting scripture, with the intent to cause harm or for one’s own personal desire.

Though I do not have first hand accounts, and therefore cannot divulge on the specifics, some instances of this which should be outlawed include (among others):

1. Alchemy for prolonging life.

2. Alchemy for altering the soul/spirit in any way, shape, or form.

3. Alchemy for altering the body/face/hair for non-medicinal reasons or for concealment.

4. Alchemy for use in combat or destruction (outside of fending against dark creatures).

5. Alchemy for cursing, prognostication, or other uses in witchcraft.

III. Conclusion, Remembering the Art

Alchemy is an art just as much as prayer is. It is pivotal that one employs proper ecclesiastical and canonical practice, philosophy, and respect when using it - for it is not just a science, and it is not a magic to be abused. It is a representation of the interconnectedness of Man, but also of the venation of the beast. And thus it is one of many worldly allegories for the nature of sin.

Though I do not dictate the law, some acceptable applications of the art of alchemy include (among others):

1. Alchemy for medicinal purposes.

2. Alchemy for use in construction or other skilled trades.

3. Alchemy for use in cosmetics that do not disguise or overly change oneself.

4. Alchemy for fending against dark creatures.

5. Alchemy for use in tandem with spiritual and canonical practice as long as it does not go against one of the aforementioned uses that should be outlawed.

Even for these purposes, however, alchemy can still be used in a blasphemous way if the user does not have faithful intent and does not use faithful practice.

In conclusion, to those who still seek to use alchemy in a sacrilegious way, know that you blaspheme. To those who are of true faith, continue to spread the word and stop at no bounds, for the remedies were bestowed upon us.

Citations

(…), The Scroll of Gospel

(…), The Scroll of Spirit

(…), The Scroll of Virtue

Signed,

Brother Yahya Al-Nabeel of St. Foltest’s Monastery

Edited by Nozoa

"Imperial fact checkers have confirmed the contents of this thesis." murmured a monk in green. 

Armand Cardinal Allobrogum peered over the Thesis from his chambers within the office of the Auditor, brushing his hand over a pile of papers and documents that needed completing - his fellow Judges present within the Office, also.

"An interesting thesis, to say the least. It holds some great promise, and wisdom. What say you, Judges?"

He offered out the Thesis to the Judges to view for themselves. 

@Fionn__TWG@UsualSuspects@Borin

"Over? Or, not over?" The far-from-literate, by a landslide, Lector Drudo Pasquina arched a quizzical brow, folding down the corners of his tabloid to catch his acquaintance, Lector Dharas, in the corners of his eyes.

Spoiler

Lector Dharas surveyed that scroll, beneath helmeted visage did sweat form across his brow, returning the glance to his associate, Lector Pasquina, "It might be over." 

Spoiler

"So doth a man that drinketh wine thereby blaspheme? For it is a sure truth that wine gladdeneth the heart - and therefore it seemeth incorrect to say created material things ought not to raise our spirits, but faith only." Comments an Acolyte.