Why LOTC Should Replace Tavern RPers with Bots

NotEvilAtAll

image.png

~Could bots and AI be the next source of LOTC tavern activity?~

As a long-time player of the Lord of the Craft, I've noticed that the quality of roleplay in taverns can often be lacking compared to other areas of the server. One reason for this is that many players who engage in tavern RP (aka Tavern RPers) are not as skilled writers as others on the server.

Recently, I've been experimenting with using ChatGPT to generate roleplay in taverns, and the results have been impressive. Not only does ChatGPT write better than the typical LOTC player (especially Tavern RPers), but it also never logs offline or needs to take a break. Additionally, any grammatical mistakes that the bot makes are similar to those that roleplayers make more frequently, such as using "would" too often or referring to characters in the wrong tense.

Given these benefits, I believe that LOTC should consider replacing Tavern RPers with bots hooked up to ChatGPT. Not only would this improve the overall quality of roleplay in taverns, but it would also free up human players to engage in more high-quality roleplay elsewhere on the server.

Here's an example of a tavern scene generated by ChatGPT:

Prompt: "write me a fantasy tavern scene and dialogue between a one-eyed bartender who lost their eye in the tenth nordling war and a female wizard patron with a peg leg"

Result:

Spoiler

"The door to the tavern creaks open, letting in a gust of cool evening air. A lone figure hobbles in, leaning heavily on a wooden cane. She surveys the dimly lit room, her keen gaze taking in the rough-hewn wooden tables and the motley collection of patrons.

As she makes her way to an empty table, the one-eyed bartender looks up from wiping down the counter. He nods a silent greeting, his eye patch and rough features bearing the marks of a long and hard life.

The female wizard takes a seat at the table and glances around. She notices a group of rowdy soldiers in one corner, a pair of merchants huddled over a game of cards in another, and a hooded figure sitting alone in a shadowy corner.

The bartender shuffles over to her table. "Welcome to the Rusty Axe," he says, his voice rough and low. "What can I get for you?"

"Just a mug of your best ale," she replies, her voice low and steady.

The bartender nods and turns to fetch her drink. As he does, the female wizard can't help but notice the deep scars that crisscross his face, and the missing eye that gives him a haunting, lopsided appearance.

The bartender returns with a mug of frothy ale and sets it down in front of her. "That'll be two copper pieces," he says gruffly.

The female wizard pulls out a small pouch and counts out the coins. As she hands them over, she can't help but ask, "If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your eye?"

The bartender's face tightens and he glances away. "Lost it in the tenth Nordling war," he says, his voice heavy with pain and loss.

The female wizard nods, understanding all too well the weight of war and loss. "I lost my leg in battle too," she says, tapping her cane on the wooden floor.

The bartender nods, and there is a moment of silence as they both remember the past.

"But we're still here," the female wizard said finally, raising her mug.

"Still here," the bartender agrees, raising his mug in a silent toast.

They drink in silence, both lost in their own thoughts, but united in the camaraderie of those who have seen and survived the horrors of war.

As the night wears on, the tavern fills with the sounds of clinking glasses and boisterous laughter, but the female wizard and the one-eyed bartender continue their quiet conversation, sharing stories of their pasts and the battles they've fought. As the night comes to end, the two bade their farewells, knowing they will meet again in this same tavern, and sharing bond that only fellow veterans would understand."

It's worth mentioning that the above feedback is strictly for the sake of argument and i'm not promoting the idea of replacing human players with bots as a good practice, as Roleplaying with real humans, who can bring their own creativity and spontaneity, is an essential part of the overall experience.

Spoiler

post generated with chatGPT. No, not just the example scene, the rest of it too (minus image and caption). I made the example and the rest of the thread with two separate prompts and then put them together by hand.

Forum post prompt:

"feedback thread on an internet forum about a fantasy roleplaying minecraft server called "Lord of the Craft" (or just LOTC for short) that states why bots make for better players than humans and why the server should replace players that roleplay in taverns (Called "Tavern RPers") with bots. The feedback thread should mention that chatGPT writes better than the typical LOTC player (especially Tavern RPers), never logs offline or needs to take a break, and bots hooked up to chatGPT would only make grammatical mistakes that roleplayers make more frequently (such as using "would" too often or referring to characters in the wrong tense)."

I had to edit roughly two words from the forum post AI result to make things clearer. It did take a lot of things directly from the prompt with exact or nearly exact wording (which is fair, It was a pretty specific prompt).

Tavern roleplay is the only roleplay that matters on lotc and I for one welcome our AI overlord NPCs.

No wait actually though, someone should code a mod that allows NPC automation using GPT.