THE FLOWERS of JEROVITZ

critter

THE FLOWERS OF JEROVITZ

VE BLAUWMS i JEROVITZ | LES FLEURS de JEROVITZ | LAS FLORES de JEROVITZ

PUqEQBPBxWZWFauqyCuNploE9sqoGOMBJJzWd-5y9-5adZ_bI-T-Fmm4UZl-0tTbRFhALUKU6zHMsfUY4EvL2De9TjVbNoZSA_XfxM57dgYGMw6aH1kTBEKHFoHsSEO2ddeT4zhqKoi7fXKGy5Ej1qk

Written and Published by

FABIAN OTTO KORTREVICH

On this day 11th of Wzuvar and Byvca of 469 E.S.

THE TRADITION OF FLOWERS

As Her Royal Highness, Prinzenas Klara Elizaveta, wrote in her Ve Blauwms i Hanseti-Ruska, flowers have great meaning and importance in the etiquette of Haeseni courts. The same holds, then, for the County of Jerovitz, which has further been influenced in recent generations by Auvergnat and Woldskyev cultures.

It is my pleasure to publish this pamphlet to honor the flowers of the County I have been reared in, including a selection of illustrations from my childhood, and to make my foray into the wide world of cultural literature published by our people in both recent times and centuries past. I dearly hope this will bring joy and a further depth of appreciation for the natural wonders of our realm.

MORRIVI

Ve Welcoming i Spring

At the coming of spring, crocuses, snowdrops and lily-of-the-valley flowers are gathered up and woven into flower crowns and wreaths. These are then worn or hung on doors to welcome the spring season, and to give thanks for the thaw which allowed these blooms to emerge.

Ve Crocus

Special breads, called Brânduși, are baked in the double-loop shape of the crocus. Crocuses are not only a Haeseni symbol of devotion and rebirth, but the loops of Brânduși further symbolize the crown of the Koeng and the holy crown of Godan, both of whom protect and provide for the people; and, in their loops, remind us of the unending passage of time and the seasons. 

Honeyed Brânduși are traditionally served at breakfast on the first day of spring.

3qNkQyW.png

Ve Primrose

In honor of the Dame Primrose Kortrevich and the delicate rose’s penchant for growing in the first early days of spring, primroses are considered a symbol of grace, valor, and persistence. Achievements may be recognized with gifts of or honoring primroses: shields with primrose crests for newly-fledged knights and accomplished soldiers, primrose-embroidered silks and cloths, or even simple, golden tokens featuring the flower. White primroses or white roses themselves are considered a somewhat more somber gift, and may be left on the graves of loved ones or those lost to battle.

Primrose wreaths are often given to the Heirs of Jerovitz upon the first spring following their debut, typically woven by their siblings as a sign of devotion and respect, and primroses may be planted outside homes for protection.

ASSERALA

Ve Welcoming i Summer

The pale yellow daffodils of Jerovitz often bloom between spring and summer, though they will not be seen long. The young women of the county gather up these flowers, weave them into wreaths, and keep them around the necks of milk-jugs. No other flower may be added to the jug wreaths. These daffodils may also be fed to the cows themselves, with both traditions meant to ensure sweet and plentiful milk all year ‘round.

KHOVALA

Ve Welcoming i Autumn

Goldenrod may be scattered around the fields of Jerovitz, in an effort to draw Godan’s blessing for the harvest. The last wild roses of summer may be pressed and dried in parchment, and then framed and hung in the kitchen, to remind the family of summer’s warmth even through the coming winter.

THE ETIQUETTE OF GIVING & WEARING

Flowers are an appropriate gift or accessory for any occasion in Jerovitz, from the birth of a child to the funeral of an elder. Cut flowers arranged in bouquets are typical; potted plants should be reserved as gifts for either older women or a housewarming present. Furthermore, flowers should always be given in an odd number; unless it is a bouquet for a funeral or other somber, mourning occasion.

Flowers may also be incorporated into the art and cuisine of Jerovitz. Its famed maple syrups may be infused with different herbs or blossoms, or its beehives kept near certain gardens to produce honey from certain flowers. Children may make paper flowers to decorate toys or homes for holidays and weddings, and flowers may be embroidered onto dress hems, woven into lace, painted onto trims, and otherwise constantly present in the day-to-day lives of those in Jerovitz. 

In Courtship

A young man should always bring flowers when meeting his beloved, and furthermore should never bring yellow flowers. Yellow flowers are thought to be an omen of a doomed courtship, or a sign that the giver prefers the company of the recipient only as a friend. Red, pink, white, or other pale hues are preferred. The more intense the color, the more intense the romance.

The exception to this is irises, which often grow with streaks of yellow and are a symbol of great duty, and orchids, the symbol of the late Countess Esmée. However, irises and orchids are thought symbolic of only the most noble and well-fated courtships, and reserved for the engaged or betrothed. 

Young men of age are also given boutonnieres of ferns to wear when they first meet the lady they wish to court.

dhGeK1W.png

For Weddings

White flowers and sweet-smelling herbs should adorn any Jerovitz bride-to-be’s bedposts and silken sheets. Mint leaves and pure white snowdrops will be placed under her pillow and around her sleeping form the night before her wedding, while a crown of white orchids and kaffir lilies should be hung above the bride’s head. Upon the next day, she and her husband shall throw this crown into the hearth of their shared home for good luck and the blessings of Godan.

Against Illness

Unless one wishes the sick to stay sick, an odd number of cut flowers and herbs should be arranged on the bedside of the ill and injured. For ailments of the senses or stomach, garlic flowers, rosemary, and mint should be given; for injuries, bouquets of blissfoil and poppies; for conditions of the mind or sleep, lavender. Other flowers, particularly the favorites of the patient, may also be included no matter the condition, though their combined meanings should be considered beforehand.

FOLKLORE

tQQ7KV4.png

Olives and olive oil have become a lynchpin in the spiritual protections of Jerovitz, and often imported from warmer climates. Babies are often washed with olive flowers and holly sprigs in their baths to protect them against ill intent. 

If someone fears they have been cursed by the ungodly, they may drip olive oil into a dish of water. If it remains in one complete circle, then the person is safe; but if it scatters and disperses throughout the dish, they have been hexed, and should seek the help of an ordained priest of the Church.

Before the courting season, maidens of age may bathe with privet (or lovage) leaves and rose petals. If done properly, this will ensure a suitable match for the girl; but if she fails to pluck all the flowers of the privet plant, and ensure none of their small yellow petals end up in her bathwater, she will only wed a dull man - or worse, shall be an old maid.

If a maiden wishes for her courting partner to propose, she must drink chamomile and lavender tea every morning for a week. If they are meant to be, he will propose by the seventh night.

Lilacs, with their four petals, must never be brought into the home, and no gift of lilacs accepted. If they are, the head of the house should bite off the extra petals from each flower, and cast the plant into their hearth. Otherwise, bad luck will surely come for the family.

REFERENCES

Ve Blauwms i Hanseti-Ruska, Vol 1 ag Vol 2, HRH Prinzenas Klara Elizaveta

Private anatomical studies of flora, Lord Fabian O. Kortrevich

Private notes of the late Countess Esmee O. Kortrevich

SIGNÉE PAR,

HIS LORDSHIP, Fabian Otto Kortrevich

BFRS8yw.png

Ileana read her brother's study with a firm nod. She felt proud of Fabian upon reading it after the King had congratulated him after she had sworn fealty in front of the whole court. 

3 minutes ago, MissToni said:

Ileana read her brother's study with a firm nod. She felt proud of Fabian upon reading it after the King had congratulated him after she had sworn fealty in front of the whole court. 

Fabian is forever grateful for the young Countess's support, arranging a particular bouquet to congratulate her ascension to peerage.