The Oldoln Chronicles Volume II

Meb_KatYT

This story is my HEADCANON.

I continued to struggle with the bonds. Clygar smirked. “You're quite stubborn, aren't you? Just like your father, and me before him. Tell you what… you’ve learned a lot since you cowered in battle and let a comrade lose an arm and a leg.” He motioned his arm towards a painting of the battle of Vjardengrad. There I was in the bottom left trying to avoid getting hacked to pieces, fear in my eyes. Clygar continued with a challenge. “Show me what you have learned since then. Beat me and I will let you go free. I considered the offer but he said the most horrifying thing next. “But if I beat you, however…” He paused, “I made a deal with a necromancer. My end was that I gave him the bodies of my dead in exchange for immortality.” 

My pupils dilated like the flesh around a wound. “You mean…?” He laughed “Yes, you are of the dark, yet you also have the light in you. The Long Dark and the All-Father both see you as vital to their overarching plans. One who will irreversibly damage the other. An asset that can change the tide… the pinnacle of light and dark.” He let his words register inside me. But unbeknownst to Clygar, spending two days in the back of a carriage tied up let my fingernails grow much longer than usual. As he was talking I used my sharper than usual fingernails to cut the ropes binding me. Before the guard next to me knew what was happening I had taken a sword and had stabbed them in the chest. The Skanarri weren't exactly the most heavily armored of folk. Looking at my grandfather and remembering my trial by fire in Norland and the demon in my head, I threw the sword at him, desperately hoping it would impale him. He ducked and it grazed the middle of the top of his head. 

But as he ducked he didn’t realize I was charging right for him and I tackled the High Chieftain to the ground. He was about to pull out his sword but I stepped on his hand preventing him from doing so. As he yelped in pain he looked up while I punched him repeatedly, the ferocity never seen coming out of me. Whether it was the All-Father or the Long Dark remained to be seen. I snapped out of my violent trance when he was a blow away from ”death.” I looked down with rage in my eyes, but I couldn’t find it in my heart to kill him. He may have killed a lot of people but he was defenseless, and my grandfather no less. That one split second of hesitation was all it took for a guard to shove me off of the High Chieftain, saving his life. Before I knew it I was being beaten into unconsciousness by guards, and the last thing I saw before blacking out was Clygar struggling to get up. 

To be continued in volume III