"The Firebolt" Vol. I

Sean_VEVO

dnd_5e_spellcard__fire_bolt_by_lazyselki

The Firebolt Vol. I

An Introduction (About the Author):

It would behoove me to begin this paper with a summary of my personage and achievement. I, dear friends, am Iason Vyranni- known to most as Jazonas d'Vyran or Jazonas d'Valois. For a time I served as an Inquisitor in the lowlands of Aaun. During this time I both uncovered plots by those who label themselves "Fifth Adventists" and by extension the terrorist group, "The Jesters." Under the tutelage of the Princess of Lurin and Master Pyromancer Scrisa Anarion I began the basics of understanding the voidal flame. Upon capture by the terrorist group the "Jesters" I lost use of my leg due to necrosis and until recently use of my vocal chords. I am no Saint, nor am I the biggest sinner amongst you; I simply seek the truth of the Universe as all great mages do and this leads me to establishing this newspaper. "The Firebolt" is not simply an article for the purpose of furthering some political gain I might have, I've enough power being a Master Pyromancer- why would I deign myself to slander others for position. Instead "The Firebolt" is a published document for those around me wishing to know the truth that is too often hidden from them (be that on purpose or simply through the mire and fog of war.) I hope you enjoy reading and look forward to new articles. Information to contact me, The Editor, is below.

Lanre Cerusil: Enemy of the State or Misunderstood Mage?

In my travels I had come to meet one named Lanre Cerusil. It would be dishonest to say that we had never crossed paths before but our interactions were limited to a small conversation in Norland several decades ago. In understanding the politics of Hohkmat, the city I had recently come to inhabit, I took it upon myself to recieve information about a supposed uprising which had taken place only a year prior. I caught Master Cerusil in a tavern in Veletz following their loss at the battle of Brasca, willing to speak on the matter the following interview ensued.

Editor: "How did you end up in your prediciment:"*

Cerusil: "I was ******* around with an old artifact. Turned out it was cursed by a necromancer. Decent mistake from me - oh well. I was intending to gather an army in Hohkmat to fight various groups in Aevos - demons and deadmen, mostly . . . This alongside learning my affiliation with Veletz and my preference of it to Petra - a few were persuaded to act against me."

Editor: "Did you attempt a takeover?"

Cerusil: "Petra, and the Chamber of Fire moved against me."

Editor: "I see, a different picture than has been painted before."

Cerusil: "They slayed a few of my allies, which perturbed me. So I enacted simple revenge, seeing that the leader of the attack was slain. But I did not try to sieze Hohkmat . . ."

Editor: "Were you not a subject of Petra?"

Cerusil: "As a member of Hohkmat, I suppose. But I did not take it too seriously* . . . For the time I was in Hohkmat. I think my ego was one that surpassed even that place's national identity."

Editor: "So you acknowledge that it was the improper decision then?"

Cerusil: "On my part or theirs?"

Editor: "Establishing a foreign allegiance."

Cerusil: "Hohkmat is special and explicitly is supposed to permit such a thing."

Editor: "So why do you believe you were acted against?"

Cerusil: "Those that acted against me* did because they felt threatened."

Editor: "Threatened, so you claim innocence?* Had you announced this allegiance to Veletz?

Cerusil: "Well, I am innocent. Not in a grand number of things, but in this one in particular . . . I announced an allegiance to Veletz, but not an intention to defy Petra in any sort of way . . . Largely, it would have been fine had the war not occurred . . ."

Upon closing my discussion with Cerusil, it did in fact seem he was willing to place past transgressions against him behind him; though in a world plagued with politics, one can never be sure enough. Regardless of the outcome of the melodramatic squabbles which seem to have taken place, discourse is the cure to disaster. Archmages have more common sense than to fall into the petty squabbles of lesser unpracticed men and women, and I call upon the esteemed Sorcerer-King and Great Powerful Magister Razad Fatebinder to host such discourse with the Master Cerusil. Public humility of both parties will wash away the stain of conflict!

Siege of Brasca: Shows of Force or Immorality?

It would do the audience well to know firstly I am a loyal citizen of Petra. I would cast myself into the very flames I create to defend the Great City as well as Hohkmat. With this said, there has come a great deal of argument for and against use of magic against the common soldier. The question posed? Is it moral to levy destruction through arcane means against those unable to defend themselves? This argument may run deeper than first expected...

Anonymous Opinion 1 (Against): 
As a mage formerly residing in the keep of Brasca, I find myself increasingly troubled by the growing trend of utilizing magic in combat against common soldiers and even civilians. While the allure of harnessing the mystical forces to gain an upper hand in battle is undeniable, it is imperative to consider the repercussions of such actions. Magic, with its unpredictable nature, has the potential to wreak havoc not only on the battlefield but also within the delicate fabric of geopolitics. The indiscriminate use of spells against common soldiers and civilians, who may lack magical defenses, raises ethical concerns and risks causing collateral damage to the very continent we call home.

Anonymous Opinion 2 (For): 

As a proud citizen of Hohkmat, where the mystical arts are celebrated and revered, I wholeheartedly support the utilization of magic against common foot soldiers in battle. In our city, magic is not merely a tool; it is an integral part of our identity and heritage. Harnessing the arcane arts against adversaries is a testament to our strength and the unique culture that defines us. Magic, when wielded with skill and precision, provides an unparalleled advantage on the battlefield, ensuring the safety and prosperity of our beloved city. The strategic use of magical abilities against common foot soldiers is not only a practical choice but also a symbol of our commitment to preserving the values and traditions that make Hohkmat exceptional. Embracing the power of magic in warfare is a demonstration of our determination to defend our city and its people with every resource at our disposal.

Regardless of your opinion on the conflict, it is undeniable that the true strength of the City of Hohkmat has been demonstrated by the destruction of Brasca. For more information relating to the War Effort, look out for the next edition of "The Firebolt."

Juniper looked upon the paper with surprise, and perhaps some distaste. Nonetheless, she read it in its entirety before tossing it into a stack of other crumpled missives. Then, she sought to bird her old friend, the author, so that they could continue catching up on lost time.

The Grand Magister was quickly delivered a copy of the 'Firebolt' to the Ziggurat of Hohkmat. His opinions locked behind his masked facade. 

His attendants did note, his request for the second publication when it was completed. 

A young Oblazeki would read over the newspaper once, twice, thrice!  "They should do more of these!"  He'd muse to those nearby, before stuffing the copy into his pocket for later use.

"Erm, he didn't ask for permission to publish this! Where are my royalties?" so said Lanre Cerusil.