The Cobbler's Goblet: The Halflings Take Up Arms!

The Cobbler's Goblet, Issue II

The Weefolk's Choice Herald

This Week's News!

The Halflings Take Up Arms!

Absent and Unapologetic: Is Griff Peregrin Sorry?

Pepin Applefoot, the Boy Genius!

The Halflings Take Up Arms!

Written by Griff Peregrin

landshark_event.png

A sketch done at the battle scene in the fight against Arkaknox, by Dolly Peregrin.

Last week, we told you about the murder of a mysterious Halfling farmer and the emergence of a strange beast in the wheatfields, known as Arkaknox. Shortly after seeing last week's issue, Sheriff Breasal Nimblefoot reached out to me personally to get information on this beast. After discussing thoroughly, Sheriff Nimblefoot elected to lead a party of several halflings, musin and bigguns alike to try and rid the wheatfields of this "shark-like Arugulaspawn". The party led a victory against the beast, with Arkaknox having fled deeper into the wheatfield as an act of retreat, returning it to normal. However, suspicions and worries are still on high...

After arranging a private interview with the Sheriff, I asked several questions about his response to the events. The interview is as follows:

How do you intend to defeat Arkaknox in the future, as well as further prepare the Halflings for any threats?

"...we were warned that it would return. Until then, I shall conduct some self-defense lessons for those who wish to learn, as well as continue with my patrols". 

It seems that, when Arkaknox fled, he spoke plainly to the Halflings and warned them of his return, saying he'd be "back for blood".

How do you intend to conduct these self-defense lessons? Do you plan on using older techniques, such as the Peregrin Methods?

"I will begin with the basics and move on to what I learned from my adventuring days. Everything is welcome if it'll help citizens defend themselves."

Out of worry for the repercussions and potential involvement in biggun conflicts due to these lessons, I asked the following:

Do you plan on using these techniques to train the Halflings for involvement in the biggun war?

"No, you've misunderstood me, this will only be for self-defense. It was agreed upon in the Grand Moot. We will stand up to immediate threats, [and] we won't interfere in biggun politcs. We are neutral, and that's that."

It seems that Impropers will have to hang up their armor, because it does not look like our involvement in the war will come at any point.

After leaving Sheriff Nimblefoot, I soon encountered a new halfling I had not met before named Marrow Whistlewood. This Marrow seemed to have rather strong and unorthodox opinions on how we should deal with the Arkaknox situation, which is detailed in the interview below:

What are your thoughts on the Arkaknox situation? Do you know what brought it about?

"It was a sign! I've just come to this village, so I don't know what you all have done to summon the ire of the Mistress of the Depths, but she's angry... furious at you... and you all better start repenting, lest your souls wallow in the stormy fathoms of the inky keeper's tides."

Please, elaborate!

"It was raining, a horrid storm, and yet I was the only one who remembered to pour [water] out? I thought everyone knew you had to pour [out water] when it rained, because the Sunken Dame was pouring [out water] for you! And after the rain, you should make an offering to the harvest, since the rain helped foster your crops. Really, this is basic stuff, but [none] of you were doing any of it... no wonder she is sending sharks after you all."

So, you believe we should start taking the worship of Arugula more seriously?

"Don't go saying her name, you'll only make her more mad, and it brings her attention to you! Now you have to wash your mouth out with saltwater. And yes, a good and proper reverence of the tide is in order, starting at least with oblations- offerings."

I will attempt to track down this woman again for next week's issue, in which I will dive deeper into her views on Arugulan dogma and its practices. What are your thoughts on it, Dunwen? Should we start honing our shovel skills, or start praying to the Salt Maiden? This is surely a time of great turmoil... stay safe out there.

Absent and Unapologetic: Is Griff Peregrin Sorry?

2024-01-21_14.06.19.png?ex=65bfee77&is=65ad7977&hm=1185fae13762fd42ca4f45dc4efce0151a4f02865ffc454a3d27c57a705944eb&

An illustration of Griff Peregrin outside of the Peregrin Burrow, by Mimosa Applefoot.

Griff Peregrin, prolific chief journalist of the Cobbler's Goblet and author of this article, has committed a heinous and scandalous act in the eyes of many: he has avoided an invitation to dinner. Only a few days ago, the ever-welcoming Mimosa Applefoot requested at random to take a sketch of Griff outside his home, The Peregrin Abode. Believing this was simply a portrait to be displayed within the Town Hole, Griff posed gallantly with his golden shovel, looking dashing as ever. It was only after returning from a long sojourn into biggun country that Griff had realized the true intent of the drawing- a dinner invitation, from the Applefoots to the Peregrins!

Griff was, without a doubt, shocked deeply by this. Having already missed the dinner, he elected to make his apology publicly in order to douse the whispers of scandal. He has come out and testified: "I am sorry, Mimosa. I was in biggun country trying to scam children on fake voodoo dolls. It was very funny. I will attend the next dinner that you host to the best of my ability".

Do you forgive him? Let us know. Send all letters to the Peregrin Abode by the Dunfarthing waterfront.

Pepin Applefoot, the Boy Genius!

Map_of_Dunwen.png

A detailed cartographic accounting of the Dunwen area, by Pepin Applefoot.

"What a prodigy", many a halfling have said over the last few days: and it is simply, undoubtedly, true! Above is shown a copy of Pepin Applefoot's detailed map on the Dunwen region, including an adorably misspelled Barnsley, the greater Dunfarthing Proper, and even smaller regions such as the Dunkeld area by the coast. Many have talked with Pepin Applefoot over the last few days, congratulating him on his academic feat. Many have also begun suggesting the idea of opening a halfling school, for halfling knowledge such as crop rotation sciences and pecan pie studies to be taught to all wee'uns.

Stay Wise, Dunwen!

Written by Griff Peregrin, Illustrations by Bingo Bufferbottom

Published by the Peregrin Family

As little Pepin reads the newspaper, he gives a little happy smile for his mention

"Meh goin' 'o learn evereht'in' I can!"