Udo Bettler's Call for Justice

c517e126-4cc9-40ad-97d5-16c79b6e52ed.thumb.webp.1b7e8da4c203ce32ca00b90f452d480b.webp

Udo's drawing captured the chaotic scene with rough lines and hastily sketched figures. The knights were depicted with exaggerated armor, towering over him menacingly, while the monk's figure was drawn with a sinister aura, his hands reaching out to pull away Udo's belongings. The expressions on the faces of the characters conveyed Udo's feelings of fear, frustration and helplessness, each stroke of the pen expressing the turmoil he felt during the encounter. Despise the simplicity of the drawing, the emotion behind it was palpable, telling a story of injustice and harsh that Udo had endured.

The note scrawled beneath the drawing was written in a clumsy hand, the grammar flawed. It read:

To all who it may concern,

Up there is simple drawing, show bad things happen to me in Haense. You see three Order men: one hitting beggar—me; another laughing at my pain; last one steal my coins.

I come to Haense with hope, just ask if someone can spare change. Instead of kind heart, I meet with hard fist by blonde hair knight. This man, I see before but not know, he say I pretend to be soldier, say I no fight in coalition. He young, he not know our old wars, what we veteran suffer. He break my nose, say I lie about valor.

While I down from hit, BSK man come—same one cut my arm before. He put cactus green on me, then make me pay 40 minas, say it ‘let off’ fee.

Where God? Where justice? Not in Haense, where bad men free and poor ones trampled. No one punish the blonde knight, he still free.

I write this ask, to all who love justice. I want payback for wrong done to me. Let not these evil deeds be ignored.

Hope this letter reach someone who can and will make right the bad done to an old soldier, just out of luck.

In hope for justice,

Udo Bettler