Elf Up Your Name!

Sporadic

Hehehe. I think single words alone work well for names, like Ceru, Khel, Uvul, kern. In fact there is nothing better than a good, simple, easy to pronounce, elven name. I agree with you on the multi-part names that have the ' in them. When you don't know how to pronounce it, don't use it.

As for the Laureh'lin laruehlin thing. . .Put that up with war, I didn't  make the name. As far as I am concerned, they sound the same exact same when spoken, the not ' version works just fine in normal plain people talk/writing. If you're ganna do some ultra formal writing then put the ' in it. I am still with you though, elves have an ' addiction.

Daki has been de-elven language us, as the only reason it was there was because of high elves. (It's not overly attractive to new players either)So worry not, your darkies will have confusing names of a different ilk with plenty of Zs and Xs. Their titles will be Lord, Counselor, patron or matron not Okari'karn, beru'ceru, Uvul'valah. I can't speak for the other elves though.

The whole 'how can you be named for a language that is lost?' is a very interesting question, actually. The answer: We generally name our children after ourselves (or family members), after important figures (biblical names come to mind). A parent can easily give a child a reused name without realizing its meaning. Many of you walk around with Latin, Greek or Celtic names without knowing it. Elven is the same.

An added benefit: we can easily take a character and make their name mean something in Elven by saying 'you had an Elven name all along and never realized it.' Minor differences in spelling we chalk up to entropy over the years.

So then Strange/Obscure dark elf names would essentially stem from incredibly mucked up elvish. Niiiice, gatta piss you pale-skins off

Dovahkin: Dragonborn (no not really; Dragonborn would be "Athri'narncael'onn"; good luck pronouncing that!)

F1wSIZD.gif

Leyun: Beauty

I do like that name..