Elf Up Your Name!

Sporadic

(( More Elven Language Resources: ))

Elvish forum thread: Contains all seed words, affixes and grammar rules you'll need to grow into a master of the Elven Tongue

Elvish Wiki Page: Contains many words, affixes, common combinations and sentences you can learn. Useful if you're looking for a specific word.

Elf up your name: Go here one of the many ready-to-use Elvish names for your character!

Hey there new RPers. Good to see you're reading the guide section.

Undoubtedly, as you were creating a character for yourself you had to think of a name. Chances are your minecraft name doesn't suffice (L33tbro666 just doesn't feel very fantasy, now does it?) and while you COULD always go with something tried and true like Legolas, it might not feel right for you to introduce yourself like that.

Luckily, for Elven players there is hope! Why not pick a name with ACTUAL ROOTS in the eldest language of Aegis? Make your character the proud owner of a name with MEANING, and have it flavor your character in a way nothing else could.

I am one of the keepers of the Elven language, and I'm here to help out! I've distilled some words from the LotC-Elven dictionary that can be readily used as a character name. There's enough to pick from for every type and alignment of character, and I'll be updating the list regularly to make sure we won't have too many identically-named elves running around.

Without further ado, the list:

ANIMALS:

Athri: Serpent

Vuln: Fox

Chirr: Wolf

Alor: Salmon

Turr: Sheep

Turrii: Lamb

Barbu: Hedgehog (also: black, dark)

NOUNS:

Ullral: Monster (lit: decayed)

Aelor: Beast

Ker: Night

Lirr: Friend

Naeri: Priest, Devout one

Elsil: The sword

Taliamonn: Treeborn

Elsiimah: The tower

Malii: Little elf

Yuln: Gem

Dovahkin: Dragonborn (no not really; Dragonborn would be "Athri'narncael'onn"; good luck pronouncing that!)

Ellir: The Friend

Eloem: The one

Vallei: Water

Velulaei: Moon

Maln: Father

CONCEPTS:

Sirame: Honour

Hileia: Peace

Leyun: Beauty

Maehr: Wisdom

Igne: Fire

Acaele: Heaven, Sky

Elacal: (the) Golden, (the) Cursed

Ceru: Strength

Iheiu: Wind

Khel: Darkness

Sioln: Loneliness

Suliin: vision

Mayilu: Loved

Llumn: sorrow

PROFESSIONS:

Amir: Forester

Evarir: Protector

Maehrir: Sage

Averir: Adventurer

Aylir: Well-doer, benefactor.

Vulnir: Trickster

Avern: Wanderer

Aheral: Blessed

Walehir: Healer

Laurir: Noble

Tossair: Marauder, Raider

Parir: Harbinger, messenger

Illera: Gift

Elibar: The Owl

Lirrame: Friend of the forest

Salumir: Empath

Civir: Fisherman

COMPOSITIONS:

Names composed out of two or more Elven words:

Ellir'siol: The Lonely Friend

Chirr'ker: Dark Wolf

Elsan'ayla: The Good News

If you end up using any of these names, please let me know here! I always love to hear I've helped people out, and it also lets me know if too many people are using the same name.

Also, if you want a specific elven name that's not on the list, do not hesitate to leave a reply here. I have the time to find you something suited precisely to your needs.

And yeah, these names tend to be very unisex. Elves are like that...

They will go with the names: Robert_White, Bill_Daggerheart, Master_Hunter_Archmage_Nikolas. Or just some awesome word: Dusk, Desire, Lust. Duh.

Golden rule: 50% of LotC players are dark hooded assassins with glowing eyes and their past was very sad.

Golden rule: 50% of LotC players are dark hooded assassins with glowing eyes and their past was very sad.

Pfffftttt Oh wait.. my character has darkish hood with glowing eyes.. But not a dark past! Go team

They will go with the names: Robert_White, Bill_Daggerheart, Master_Hunter_Archmage_Nikolas. Or just some awesome word: Dusk, Desire, Lust. Duh.

Now they can do that too, but in elvish!

Very nice guide! I would have liked to have used it when I was making my character!

Keep it in mind if your character happens to die a tragic and heroic death ;)

This guide was very handy! I used Evarir and Leyun as the names of my character's parents in my application.

This guide was very handy! I used Evarir and Leyun as the names of my character's parents in my application.

*brofists*

When making my name I flipped to the Appendices of LOTR and checked out some common elvish sounds and messed around till I made one I liked.

I am going to make my last name sing this xD

Hmmmm How would I connect 2 of these words?

I am going to make my last name sing this xD

Hmmmm How would I connect 2 of these words?

Uhm, this doesn't work for all words, but usually you put an apostrophe (') between them.

So something like Chirr'Amir?

Forester wolf? I suppose, but I don't see how that means anything.

Chirr'Ame would be 'forest wolf'. This would have more meaning.