The Comprehensive Guide to Playing a High Elf

Lynesse {Celia/Jazzy}

1GYdy.jpg

~*~ The Comprehensive Guide to High Elven Roleplay ~*~

Preface by Celia

Let me just state this before I begin the guide, because there’s been some confusion going around on Lord of the Craft. We are supremacist, intellectual, snooty, philosophical, and general nasty-pantses in-game. But we’re not like that out of character. I apologise if that came across as snarky. I’ll let silly-guide-making Celia take over now.

I’ll leave this short and sweet. We’re not that complicated race at all, and we’re not usually terribly hard to play. So please don’t be intimidated by us posting up a big fancy guide. Some of you might be wondering why we’d need a guide in the first place, were this the case. Our reason is that there have been recent surges in people who decide that they don’t wish to play their high elves along the general lore. Of course, there’s nothing we can do to stop this, because you can’t force someone to roleplay their characters in a specific way. So instead, we’re taking a different approach. It is useless to complain and whine; we are providing information as an alternative. This guide is a composition by many of our veteran players and I sure hope you have a good time reading it, and even more, hope you consider joining us in the future. We’d love to have you!

How to Join by Celia

Don’t be afraid, it’s not complicated or tough at all to join the high elves. First things first, you’ll need a skin. high elves are one of the tallest races in Asulon, being only shorter the the kha, and the orc (around 6’4” - 7’0”). They generally have fair blonde hair although platinum hair is a great sign of purity. Their skin would have a gold tint to it, and their eyes would be shades of green and blue, with the occasional purple. Their ears tend to be longer than dark/wood elves (keep all these factors in mind! High elves tend to notice physical impurities fairly quickly). Clothing for the women is generally long, flowing dresses while the men prefer long robes. high elves should generally look young, as alike other elves, they age quite slowly. A good age for a high elf starting out is 100 - 400 years.

Secondly, you’ll want to develop a good backstory. A lore correct high elf’s parents should also be lore correct. They should've taught their children that the high elves are the supreme race and that their racial/mental purity is important. High Elves should be intellectual and should know how to read and write generally although you’re free to play your character how you wish. A high elf can be militaristic, however they are generally scrawny and weak. Still, there’s nothing wrong with a high elf that can use a light sword or a bow, but not a master-swordsmen. Be sure to do some research, like learning a bit of the elven language, which is used a bit, although we generally speak in common and only use the ancient language for general greetings.

Your character's parents should not be born in Haelun'or as Haelun'or is only around 70 years old. You are free to roleplay that your parents kept the High Elven ideals and that they lived somewhere else in Aegis.

Next, you’ll definitely want to come roleplay with us. Make sure you’ve got your skin on and your character card set. To get to Haelun’or, take the orcish path from the Cloud Temple and take your first right up a hill. Follow the path and go through the tunnel until you hit the docks. Find the big boat with the green sails that goes to Malinor. Follow the road off the boat and just keep on walking. You’ll eventually see a place with blue roofs. Cross the big bridge and you’ll be at the gates. Simply emote knocking or shout to get someone at the gates for you! This should not be meta-gamed and can instead be role-played as if you received directions from a wanderer.

Lastly, after you finish getting acquainted with our roleplay, you’ll probably want to write a citizenship application. Housing is free in Haelun’or, provided that you are a pure mali’aheral. The size of the home depends on how much you’re around the city (In RP; how prominent a citizen you are) and how often you roleplay with us. Something else that is important is the second part of the application; writing a book for the library. This must be done before you can get a house (Gotta fill the shelves somehow! :D). Keep in mind that we like our books with good spelling and grammar. If one of the people reading through it point out multiple mistakes, don’t get upset! We’re just perfectionists!

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/42148-sale-of-homes-in-haelunor/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/42148-sale-of-homes-in-haelunor/

The post is fairly out-of-date, although the application format is the same, and will be reviewed by Mithradites or paladist.

The Mindset of a High Elf by Mithra-doody-poo/Mithradites

Oh hey! It’s my turn! Fabulous! Anyway, to make my point as clear as possible, all you dandy young HE’s-to-be need to understand how the high-elven mind works. I’m sure you’ll get several other interpretations by my learned colleagues, but this is my personal “vision” of it, so lets not have any clever folks poke holes in it just yet!

One thing I’d like to stress before we get into anything juicy, is this very important fact:

Elves do not think like humans

Elves are nigh-immortal, highly infertile beings, and their personalities should reflect this. A human is “jumpy” by an elf’s standards. “Child-like” would also be an apt description, that is; adventurous, outgoing, and impulsive. A young elf would also, theoretically, feel this same “jumpiness” during their childhood. After their 100-125th year of age, an elf would stop feeling any of these, due to them having most of the experiences a fully aged human would have. They would take on a more stoic personality, and become increasingly dissatisfied with living around shorter-lived peoples, which would almost be the equivalent of a human living in a city of toddlers.

A high elf would likely have this same mindset prior to their 100th birthday, save for those with an intensely high-elven upbringing. There are a few more subtle racial traits you’d best be aware of as well, namely curiousity, and arrogance.

A high elf is naturally curious, and is considered by other high elves to be a mark of purity to have an inquisitive disposition. It is common for high elves to have no sense privacy, and will often poke their nose into other citizen’s business. This is reflected in the Haelun’or government itself, in that it is entirely open for the citizens to suggest laws and critique policy. All of the old council-meetings were recorded via minutes, and placed within the library for this very purpose.

A high elf is also naturally arrogant. This can come out as a sense of always being “right” in any argument, and a self-righteous attitude towards their culture, and government form. They are wary of changing their views, and are not open to experiences that might challenge their pre-defined image of the world.

High elves respect those of a scholarly disposition, and prize knowledge and learning highly in their society, hence why expanding the library is a part of the citizenship application.

Taking books from the library is looked down upon by all members of the city. Having taken knowledge from the library without adding to it would be considered “greed.” Even reading from the library without having added something to it would be considered “shameful”. Bringing books for the library would make a high elf happier, but if it isn’t written by the one offering the book, it would be considered “lazy”.

Bloodlines and family are also prized highly in Haelun’or. Having a family tree that leads back dozens of elven generations would be very respectable in the city defined by racial purity.

Violence is another disliked entity within the city. Though any high elf would understand the requirement of violence sometimes, talking, debate, and logic are far preferred. Orcs are often cited to be antithesis to this; due to them prizing strength and their culture being defined by violence, fighting, and death.

Similarly, the concept of “honour” has no intrinsic value within the city, and most disregard it as being highly subjective and lacking purpose in a society crafted through logic and social awareness.

The typical outsiders that mali’aheral let within the city are those who can speak on an intellectual level, and refrain from defensiveness if insulted. Politeness and patience are also expected, and desired. Furthermore, poor speech is loathed within the city. Human, dwarven, and orc colloquialisms make high elves particularly uninterested in what they have to say, though, it usually won’t stop them from entering should they conform to the politeness and intellectual standard. The exception are orcs, whom wouldn’t be allowed in the city under any circumstances (sorry, greenskins xP). Over a long period of time, some outsiders would eventually be “respected” within the city, and receive a “permit”, giving them the right to come and go as they would please as a citizen would themselves. This can also lead to houses being purchased within the city, should most citizens approve of their company.

Intruders are disliked, due to them skipping this phase. They are thrown out of the city in almost every instance.

Finally, they have the innate belief in their own superiority over other races. This is not the sort of thing someone writes down in a guide, though. It’s a learning experience that their characters go through. Supremacism is a tough thing to RP, regardless of what Jazzy reckons!

All in all, my greatest advice to new high elves is to observe the interactions between veterans, and craft your character’s personality of their thoughts and opinions.

Goodness... I’m not sure if everything I wrote here was wholly relevant to the topic! I will blame Jazzy/Celia for making me write it so quickly. Have fun, you sneaky HE’s-to-be!

The Laws, Rules, and Politics of Haelun’or by KannAllyEnd

Written as a conversation between Ante’vuln Llumcelia Lazul and her humble player.

Ante’vuln: Made it past the gates have you? Well, welcome to Haelun’or. The mother-land welcomes her children...and her honored guests, I suppose. Unless you’re a filthy impure who’s managed to sneak in past the guard, in which case...The welcome is retracted. Go in peace to live your short, bestial life.

Kelly: Right, okay! So, now that we all feel welcome, let’s go over the status quo. To start, one should understand a few things about the High Elven community. We are a small, niche-roleplay type group. Therefore, our rules and attitudes are accepted on the basis of player familiarity. You will have to make your own way here. As a tip? The best way to do that, is to simply talk to people. Talk to everyone. It’s the rule of survival in a small community: socialize, and you will find a place.

Ante’vuln: Now then, there is a government in place. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. Do you assume the Mali’aheral to be a bunch of lawless ruffians? There is an implied rule, as well as a behavior norm here, and should you disregard it, you should expect neither respect, nor friendship. It is nothing a proper pure elf would not find reasonable and obvious. Abandon all hope, treacherous liberals. Tote your libel elsewhere.

Kelly: Ahem. The government is an object of the community. Therefore, the rules are community based. As a matter of courtesy, law-breakers are discouraged. If you are insistent on playing a criminal, however, as always--good role-play is a must. We work rather hard to maintain the state of play in Haelun’or. Troublemakers should create fun, viable roleplay--not merely seek to cause disruption.

Ante’vuln: Enough chat, Valah. I have little time or patience for your pandering. For those who plan to reside in Haelun’or, one should familiarize his or herself with the system of governance. The governmental bodies function to provide protection of both health, safety and purity in The Silver City. There are two major bodies: The Tilruiran and The Parir’tiran. Outside the government, our Maheral exists to settle disputes.

To further clarify:

Tilruiran (the servants, for elvish-illiterates; shame on you)

The Tilruiran perform the perfunctory stations of civil duty. They are the guard, the real-estate brokers, builders, and meet and greeters.

Positions:

Tilruir’mali Lucion Sullas

(Accepts citizen applications, manages the libraries and pursues mandatory book editions)

Tilruir’nor Delonna Feanor

(Manager of food resources and farming.)

Tilruir’lliran Kolyat Alfakyn

(Diplomat in foreign relations)

Tilruir’linan Drecar Razier

(Manages housing)

Tilruir’sil Arthane Lazul

(Head of the Legion, or Guard of Haelun’or. Allows admissions to the City, keeps the walls, manages military)

Sillumir Seth Calith

Sillumir Silir’illume

Kelly: Players who wish for government positions should understand that Haelun’or runs on the community system. That means, if you want to contribute -a lot- to the roleplay of the community, we WANT you in government! We want to equip you with the power to make a lot of big decisions, and create all the roleplay you can manage! All you have to do is establish yourself (See: talk to people!). Once your dependability is ascertained, and you are fairly well known in our small group of players, we are -more than happy- to put you to work!

Ante’vuln: Aside from the obvious deferral to those in power upon their areas of expertise, it should be noted that any adult citizen of Haelun’or is allowed to create a referendum. Adults also have the power to vote upon referendum issues. Generally, the voting takes place during an agreed upon city-wide council meeting, lead by our esteemed Maheral.

I will repeat for those whose memory is damaged; Dio Astore is the voice of settlement dispute, as Maheral. All defer to his ways if all else fails. He is what the ridiculous Sky-Diety worshipers might equate with a high priest. Dio rarely intervenes in political matters, but is generally considered the wisest and most informed (being the oldest) of the Mali’aheral population.

Kelly: Dio is also our OOC moderator. Should you join us, we have a chat for the High Elven community. Dio makes sure it doesn’t descend into spammy, trolly, hate-filled madness. We expect respectful, kind, rule-following, and cooperative behavior in the OOC, and Dio helps hold us to it!

Ante’vuln: Spammy? Trolly? Valah, your use of words is quite odd indeed. I do not think that those terms are even in existence. ...Perhaps you are merely poorly educated.

Kelly: Hey! I--

Ante’vuln: At any rate, the final body of governance in our Blessed Haelun’or is the Parir’tiran. There are two documents that will educate you as to what they do, specifically, and my Valah co-writer insists that she can provide something called a “link” for you, in order to access it. Some kind of magic, I assume.

Kelly: The magic of the INTERNET! Here are the actual law-documents, that outline the courts-system in Haelun’or.

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/71865-the-alfakynlazul-campaign/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/71865-the-alfakynlazul-campaign/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/73247-the-announcement-of-judges/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/73247-the-announcement-of-judges/

Ante’vuln: For those lazy, insubordinate outsiders who cannot be bothered to look through the actual documents (not Mali’aheralan, obviously, you are educated and dedicated enough to your purity to read the documents thoroughly, I am sure), I will summarize the system here.

The Parir’tiran protect purity. No inter-racial fraternization is allowed between Mali’aheral citizens of Haelun’or and other species. Fraternization, murder or city-disruption of a purity-damaging nature are all charges that are reported by citizens (if you are a citizen and witness such a crime within the city walls or being enacted by another citizen, you -must- report it to a member of the Parir’tiran). Reported issues are brought to Trial by the three council members: Lucion Sullas, Arthane Lazul, and myself. These council members--or Parir’tiran--rule upon the fate of evil-doers.

Kelly: There you have it! The government of Haelun’or in a nutshell. A walnut shell...but still. It has been a large nutshell which you hopefully enjoyed cracking open!

Ante’vuln: Maehr’sae hilyun’ehya--so it is written--and you now have no excuse to be uneducated in this matter.

FAQ

What does Mali'aheral mean?

'Mali'aheral' is the Ancient Elven word for 'Blessed Elves'. Proud of their history, the High Elves refer to themselves with the Elven word rather than the common one.

How will my High Elf have to act?

High Elves are graceful and scholarly, as well as arrogant and snooty. Check the section above for more details on this. Still, you can roleplay your character how you want. A graceful snooty person is just the norm.

What is the Silver City, and do I HAVE to live there?

The Silver City is Haelun'or, which means 'motherland'. It is the home of the High Elves, and though many would wish to look upon its beauty, entrance to non-Mali'aheral is very restricted.

High Elves will not be obligated to live here, but if you play a lore-correct High Elf will probably make very little friends in towns ruled by other races, so you'll generally have a bad time. To have the best RP experience possible as an High Elf, Haelun'or comes highly recommended.

Can my High Elf be the outcast who despises their ways?

Short answer: Do you really have to be?

Long Answer: Everybody is free to design their character as they wish, maybe. However, if we give people this option, too many will choose to be rebels as a 'true' High Elf character is an intensive task that takes a dedicated role-player. It would make no sense if such a large portion of the High Elves isn't actually a conservative High Elf, so we have to restrict players to following our lore.

Still, we can’t force people on how they wish to play their characters. If you’re truly intent on playing an impure then you can go about it like so many have before. However, conforming to the lore-standard is considerably more unique and interesting than being a “rebel”.

~*~

Feel free to ask any other questions, they’ll be added here and

Other Links

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/69918-regarding-high-elves/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/69918-regarding-high-elves/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/40509-high-elven-rp-guide/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/40509-high-elven-rp-guide/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/59575-into-the-mind-of-a-high-elf/'>http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/59575-into-the-mind-of-a-high-elf/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/49564-about-the-silver-city/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/19254-recovering-the-ancient-tongue-of-the-elves/

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/69999-high-elves-in-a-nutshell/page__p__558803__fromsearch__1#entry558803

Great guide. Too bad I made my "impure" High Elf over about a year and two months ago, which at that time I don't even know if they were snobby. This may have just persuaded me to make a pure high elf later on.

Great guide. Too bad I made my "impure" High Elf over about a year and two months ago, which at that time I don't even know if they were snobby. This may have just persuaded me to make a pure high elf later on.

As stated in the guide, any person at any time can join! If you feel like roleplay with us, whip up a skin and character and let's get roleplaying!

PS : Yes, a new high elven city will be present for 3.0.

I read all of it(Most of it) and I am glad to say that my character (Without me ever actually knowing), which I have been in the process of creating, has been following the personality part of the character. I am glad about this fact. Everything else I read is also helping me with creating this character. Except to see a red haired high elf in a town near you quite soon~( IF I can either downgrade, or if the server updates.) Anyway, this was a great guide and it really is helping me with my character! Thank you, to everyone that was involved in making this amazing guide~

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

From, EmeraldStag.

*Looks to her High Elf in Malinor, then looks back to the guide*

wr4Cq.jpg

But in all seriousness, good guide, I just prefer to play my Elf differently.

Ima read this soon. Im sure this is going to be very odd...

People have actually wanted to assign me to the position of Tilruir'Leyun.

wr4Cq.jpg

And that's ok, because role-playing is about playing the character the way you want to play it, in moderation of course.

And that's ok, because role-playing is about playing the character the way you want to play it, in moderation of course.

NOOOOO, LORE ISH NOT GOOD, BAD PEOPLE! YOU NEED MAKE CHARACTER LORE-CORRECT!

Just kidding, but seriously: This is how high elves should behave, its something you choose when you choose your subrace. Of course you can vary on it a bit, but feeling superior should be the base of any High elven character.

wr4Cq.jpg

Never had I felt an urge to kidnap and brainwash someone so strongly. But then, I realise people have a right to RP their character however they wish.

You have the right to be free-2-fly, yo.

Don't let nobody take that away from you.

(Unless it's us, and we kidnap and brainwash you. :P )

PS : Yes, a new high elven city will be present for 3.0.

I actually should start again with making the designs for that...

Hey, this is just a suggestion, b/c I know how....how to put it.... alternative high elves can kinda get under your skin, but you could make like an official OOC list, kind of like how the orcs have a list of official white washes.

Hey, this is just a suggestion, b/c I know how....how to put it.... alternative high elves can kinda get under your skin, but you could make like an official OOC list, kind of like how the orcs have a list of official white washes.

Peronally, I wouldn't like to do this at all. The High Elven lore wasn't solidified in Aegis and to call so many people out would just be flat out rude. Instead of complaining about these characters, we're taking a new stance on things by trying to promote our roleplay instead. ^^

Thank you for the guide, It's been very helpful with my character creation, and has given me something to dwell on.

I'd love to play as a normal high elf...Buut~ Not only are the Ilith'iari to my knowledge banned from Heal'unor ( Well, since before Hael'unor ) But my character was raised an oren high elf... Still! Great guide :)