Medical Rp And You (2)

Gemmylou

Uh. Well a year is 12 ooc days I believe. So you'd be pregnant for about 5-6 ooc days. 

Since a year in LotC is 8 LotC months (seeds) long, I would say that the figure would be closer to 13 or 14 days. There's so much confusion around this, I wish the LMs would make a definitive post on how to measure the passage of time :lol:

600th Post

Finally, a sound excuse for those damp patches in my robes.

The guide was kind of good too..

Since a year in LotC is 8 LotC months (seeds) long, I would say that the figure would be closer to 13 or 14 days. There's so much confusion around this, I wish the LMs would make a definitive post on how to measure the passage of time :lol:

600th Post

I feel honoured to have had your 600th post :3

Finally, a sound excuse for those damp patches in my robes.

The guide was kind of good too..

Thank you Bircy!

Well, I havn't been around LotC for a while, infact I've just came on because of a e-mail about the new map. These two threads are cool, and I'd like to add a section I feel alot of people neglect; hypothermia/cold shock.

Cold Water Shock:
While cold water shock usually only happens in cold/arctic conditions, it can just as easily happen on a chilly night, or in the ocean. It is no laughing matter; even if you're capable of swimming. First, a clearer definition; cold water shock is the reaction your body has to suddenly being immersed in cold water(Like falling off a boat, or diving into a freezing lake to escape a raging band of orks after your blood). Let's start out with what happens:

Stage 1: for the first 3-5 minutes after immersion a person will gasp for breath. This could be the last breath you'll take if your head is underwater at the time. While most modern procedures assume you're wearing a lifejacket, LotC sadly doesn't have those.

Once this period is over, most people start hyperventilating. This usually makes people dizzy, confused and prone to spasms. This is your bodies reaction to protect itself against the cold; by pumping more blood to keep yourself warm. The increased heart rate is sometimes enough to send people with heart conditions into cardiac arrest.

Stage 2: Inbetween the 3-30 minute mark the characters limbs will start to cool. Your muscles ability to contract, their grip strength and manual dexterity will be greatly reduced. The limbs and body will feel numb, and even experienced swimmers will have trouble swimming any more than a few meters, and actually cools your body down faster if you do try swimming.

Stage 3: The drop in core body temperature greatly reduces the persons ability to both think and move. At this stage. self rescue is virtually impossible.

Stage 4: rescue. The affected person should not try moving, or be warmed up too quickly to avoid passing out. This stage is prone to having heart-attacks and strokes, even out of the water.

Finally, I have a fancy table of "survival times". Keep in mind that the average temperature of the Atlantic in June is 11*C.

0*C: Less than 15 minutes
1* to 5*C: 15 to 30 minutes
5* to 10*C: 30 to 60 minutes
10* to 15*C: 1 to 2 hours
15* to 20*C: 2 to 7 hours
20* to 27*C: 3 to 12 hours
over 27*C Indefinite

As you can see, you/your character can die very quickly from the water. I'll leave it up to RP to determine how long you've actually been in the water for, as your rescuers will have to spend time roleplaying the actions. It'll be nice to see people thinking "I might die swimming to the middle of nowhere in the Far North of the lands.

Hypothermia:
Hypothermia is a condition in which body temperature drops below normal. Cold Water Shock leads to hypothermia, and shares many of the effects. Hypothermia can happen quickly, like being immersed in cold water, or slower, when a person is wet, cold, or both.

Hypothermia can place the body in shock. This makes either a quick rescue, or shelter necessary, since shock slows normal body functions so that self help is near impossible and outside care is mandatory. Bear in mind, if you're in the middle of the wilderness alone, you might have to solve this yourself anyways, acting quickly to build a fire or find shelter.

The main areas of heat loss are the head and neck, with other important areas being the sides of the chest(between your arms) and abdomen. Take this into account if your skin covers up these parts with warm clothing.

Symptoms:
Early; shivering and slurred speech, concious but slower thinking.
Intermediate; slow and weak pulse or respiration, lack of co-ordination, irrational or confused thinking, sleepy feeling.
Final; weak, irregular or absent pulse or respiration, loss of consciousness.

Treating hypothermia is to be done gradually, in a sheltered area. Any wet clothing should be changed, and drinks such as alcohol, coffee, tea or any hot drink should be avoided. Intermediate and final stage victims should be brought to doctors as soon as possible.

Well, that's my guide. While I doubt that most people will be out in the freezing tundras for extended periods of time, it's always good to have a understanding of it, and it'll enhance RP experience for everyone around you, as with the other posts. If you want Gemmy, you can add this section to the OP.

Edit: Well derp, looks like the spoilers aren't working.

Edited by MrAnderson

Hello everyone!

Added some posts about Hypothermia and types of wounds. 

Still more to come :) 

Good read, and well done ^^

Can you cover burns please? 

What is green cactus? Is it like paraphernalia?

About the hypothermia great job lol Ive been swimming in the columbia river (extremely cold river) and the pacific (cold ocean) Ive been in the atlantic and a whole bunch of others to but those are the coldest, When you hop in off a boat...Your breathing gets Really shallow and you feel like someone pressing on your chest and you have trouble breathing until about 40 minutes in which it isn't so bad.

Pffft, foolish science. If someone is hurt, everybody knows you first pray to Yemekarr and let them die painfully as you make an endeavor to communicate with the gods!

Great post though. Especially about hypothermia!