[Event Creature] Those That Feed In Red. Imp Parasite.

V0idsoldier

Say an Imp para was attached to a female, would the female be able to have a child and if they are able to, will the parasite pass onto the child? (After an OOC screening of course)

Say an Imp para was attached to a female, would the female be able to have a child and if they are able to, will the parasite pass onto the child? (After an OOC screening of course)

A complicated question but I will try to answer as best as I can.

Should a female succumb to the parasites grip, I see no reason why the baby could not be born. This is of course assuming that the host keeps the parasite well fed. Should the host fail to keep the parasite fed, the first thing to go would likely be the baby. If the parasite drains the host, the baby would likely take the most damage. As for the whole "passing on" things, that is a firm no. The creature is attached to the host and would not un-attach unless it deems another host is needed. The parasite would not go onto the baby due to it's inability to keep it fed.

Hope this helped!

This lore is certainly interesting and as others have noted it walks a fine line between vampirism and something original. That being said I see a few problems:

• All the negatives are 'optional', I'd prefer the negative aspects to be somewhat required. Otherwise it is free eternal life and an excuse to eat people in RP.
  • Why would a parasite ever kill someone? If you kill your host you die too.

This lore is certainly interesting and as others have noted it walks a fine line between vampirism and something original. That being said I see a few problems:

• All the negatives are 'optional', I'd prefer the negative aspects to be somewhat required. Otherwise it is free eternal life and an excuse to eat people in RP.
  • Why would a parasite ever kill someone? If you kill your host you die too.

I love the questions you are asking. Finally allows me to stretch my fingers and provide some in depth responses on the problems you see. I will try my hardest to answer them!

Starting with your first concern. Your belief is that all the negatives are optional and that this is a free excuse at eternal life. From the beginning I want to state that that is not the intention nor what I was going for. Breaking it down should help sort this confusion. From the beginning the parasite begins bonding with a host. This in it of itself is a huge setback because due to this it is a permanent curse for the host to have. You cannot rid yourself of the beast physically or by force without killing yourself in the process. There is a work around, though even then it is no simple task to get the beast off of yourself. Not only would you have to beg for the beast to comply with your mindset and even think about getting another host, you would also have to find a willing sacrifice to take the curse. This is a long process mind you, it is not a simply work around.

Following up there is of course the major negative. You will HAVE to feed at least every 2-3 days. This is not optional, this is a must. There is no questions to it. If you do not feed, the parasite will bleed you dry. That in every way is a negative. You cant really imply that having to kill every 2-3 days isn't a negative. I get this feeling that the mindset you carry on the lore will make it seem what it isn't. While you see "Excuses" I strive to make them sound reasons. This isn't about an excuse to be able to murder people or a free  get out of death card. There isn't much I can say in regards to that mindset really. This is of course a way for me to be able to role play a unique character and bring about a different style of role playing while allowing others who care for this kind of role play to follow. Should you see that as an "Excuse" there isn't much for me to debate about. All lore is just a excuse to do the incredible with that mindset. Evocation lore an excuse to use magic, Necromancy an excuse to work with dark arts and so on.

The other negatives are what you could say "Optional". They are a way to further create a unique character. I will not force someone who is role playing this into insanity for some peoples wills are hard to break, but there will always be the looming voice of the parasite in your head. I will not force people to, at the start of getting the parasite, annex their characters publicly. This is something that can and likely will happen in role play. I leave these optional to allow players who wish to rp this more freedom. Even so, the other 3 negatives are firm and not optional.

Moving on to the next concern.

Why would the parasite ever kill someone? Well as you know parasites are creatures that will often suck the host dry and then move on. That is the nature of a parasite. This parasite is unique in it's ability to gain conscious intelligence once bonded with the host, but even then it still has primordial thoughts of survival in its mind. If it is not fed it is not a matter of hate or anger that it will begin sucking the host dry, it is simply in their nature. They require blood to live, that is why they even bother attaching to hosts. Sure they could enter a coma and live in a damp dark cave for a hundred years, but that is not what their instincts wish. 

To repeat, they gain intelligence when bonded with a host, but not so much to know the full consequences of killing their host. Keep in mind that these are not passionate creatures. They will bond with you, but not like your dog. They will use you until you cant be used, drain you of whatever is useful, and move on. 

It would be useful to keep in mind that once the Imp parasite drains it's host dry it does not, /not/, die. By draining the host they themselves are not affected as they will slowly pull their roots from the hosts body and detach. They will have 3 days to search for another host before needing to shut their bodies down. The difference between the parasite killing the host and someone else killing him is obvious. Say the host takes an arrow to the head dying instantly, this will sever the bonding process too abruptly in turn killing the parasite. On the flip side when the parasite drains the host it goes at its own pace and has time to pull the roots out. 

I hope this helped! If there are any more concerns I would love to hear them, and thank you for breaking apart some of the lore so I could further explain my intentions. 

This is a really neat take on vampirism, and a pretty subtle one, at that.

I think what I enjoy most about this lore is its characterization of the affliction. With vampires, there is a kind of unseen force or blood disease that causes the vampirism. You can't really see it or interact with it, which is part of what makes a vampire a vampire. With these Skin Dragons, however, the disease itself has a character.

I think this is pretty darn interesting, especially because this parasite can apparently remove itself (which I was wishing for, while I was reading). Because the parasite leeches abstract things from its host, like intelligence and emotion, it can grow in mind and spirit, and thus character. It is a very literal voice in your head and not just a simple compulsion. What makes things more interesting is that it can remove itself, presumably to find another host. In this case, though, does it retain whatever intelligence and maturity it gained from its previous host? It would be pretty cool to have a parasite jumping from character to character, building its own identity to be passed from host to host.

It also helps characterize some mental illnesses to an extent, like schizophrenia or dissociative identity disorder, and makes them concrete, which fits well with fantasy and fairytale type aesthetics. It represents disorders like these metaphorically, which always appeals to me.

Solid job, dude.

This is a really neat take on vampirism, and a pretty subtle one, at that.

I think what I enjoy most about this lore is its characterization of the affliction. With vampires, there is a kind of unseen force or blood disease that causes the vampirism. You can't really see it or interact with it, which is part of what makes a vampire a vampire. With these Skin Dragons, however, the disease itself has a character.

I think this is pretty darn interesting, especially because this parasite can apparently remove itself (which I was wishing for, while I was reading). Because the parasite leeches abstract things from its host, like intelligence and emotion, it can grow in mind and spirit, and thus character. It is a very literal voice in your head and not just a simple compulsion. What makes things more interesting is that it can remove itself, presumably to find another host. In this case, though, does it retain whatever intelligence and maturity it gained from its previous host? It would be pretty cool to have a parasite jumping from character to character, building its own identity to be passed from host to host.

It also helps characterize some mental illnesses to an extent, like schizophrenia or dissociative identity disorder, and makes them concrete, which fits well with fantasy and fairytale type aesthetics. It represents disorders like these metaphorically, which always appeals to me.

Solid job, dude.

I caught you reading this a little bit ago and I was hoping you would make a reply. Glad to see you did, and you brought a couple of terrific questions with you. I am glad you loved the lore and will try my best to answer your question.

There is no simple answer to your question. That is clear. It is both a yes, and a no. The Imp Parasite is entirely unique in it's ability to bond with a host, through this bonding the parasite acquires intelligence by reaching through the hosts memories and thoughts. After the bonding process is completed the parasite will be fully sentient and have a unique identity as you said. The confusing part is what comes after. Should a parasite detach itself from a host, it will temporarily lapse in most sentience. It will be able to do simple actions, crawl and attach itself to a new host, but not much more. In this state it is not really intelligent, it goes back to a near lack of sentience.

But, once it finds a new host and attaches to him, it will redo the bonding process. After this bonding process is set up and it regains sentience and intelligence, it could recall events, memories, and feelings it and it's former host had. Usually they forgo this process as it is quite pointless to them, though it is there. They retain memory just as most creatures, if not better, but ONLY whilst bonded to a host. When not bonded they lack intelligence. 

Hope this helped and thank you for reading and commenting!

It's been about a month and a half, I think this thread deserves a bump. I am still looking for any and all questions and continue to look for support. Seeing some other lore accepted got me pumped. This is not gone yet!

Don't get disheartened.  The Lore team works from page 2 up.  In fact bumping this was probably a bad idea if you want them to get to it quickly :p

Don't get disheartened.  The Lore team works from page 2 up.  In fact bumping this was probably a bad idea if you want them to get to it quickly :p

I thought the same, though recently a huge influx of lore posted a month after mine was reviewed and implemented, so I am fine risking it for the extra publicity. 

The other lores were far easier to review. This one we actually reviewed last April within a week of it being posted. No agreement was reached back then, and with so much else going on at the time it was mostly forgotten. Sorry about that.

Within the next two weeks we're reviewing every thread currently in the Lore Forum, including this one, attempting to clear the forum out entirely. If the Lore Team decides to implement it, it will then be passed onto the Adminstration, it being quite a major piece of lore.

Alright so here it goes. Quite a lot of work was put into this, something I commend greatly, but unfortunately a verdict reached by the Lore Team has deemed this as denied. I believe this was certainly a very unique spin on Vampirism, so much so to a point that I did not even consider it as such until you mentioned it, but uniqueness is not all that there is to lore. 

To start with the reasoning, I will open by saying that this was not an easy denial. This is so because usually denials are made due to lore containing overpowered aspects, lore breaking elements, factors that encourage metagaming, among many other traits that could ring the alarm bell. However, this lore did not contain much, if any, of those traits.

Despite this, the lore was denied simply because we did not feel that it fit the mood of the server, as it would be like trying to implement flawless lore for fairy princesses into a server set in a hell biome revolving around death and torture (an extremely exaggerated example, I know, but made to convey the message if I wasn't understood fully). I understand that this is very loose grounds to deny lore upon, hence why the decision was so hard, but for that reason I will allow you to bring this up with Administration if you wish to continue the pursuit of this idea's implementation. We, the Lore Team, have done our part in ensuring that the lore does not contain any of the aforementioned denial traits, so there is little more we can do now that we have made up our mind, so the Administration is your best bet.

If you have any questions or concerns in regards to the lore or our decision, feel free to PM me or any other LM and we will do our best to help you out. 

After months have gone by during which many things have changed regarding lore, including a change in regulation and expectations for what players are trying to get implemented, renewed interest in this topic has led to the Lore Team reviewing this lore once more. After much deliberation, we are changing our initial verdict from just under a year ago and it is now accepted! Here is a quote of my response to a PM from the OP:

The lore is accepted on the condition that the benefit of nulled aging does not override the human curse. Essentially this means that humans which are afflicted can still not age like anyone else, but they will nonetheless die after the usual period of time of around 100-150 years. This is a relatively minor request, so hopefully it doesn't impede any roleplay that comes of this lore ^^