Body Language- Simple Guide.

lιoɴ

+-Body Language-+

(My first guide ^_^ )

Anger
Anger is one expression of fight or flight more-- an automatic reaction to a threat. In many cases, there is an underlying fear of being attacked.

• Balling the fists
  • Crossing arms tightly
  • Clenching fists
  • A tight-lipped smile
  • Clenched teeth

Examples in roleplay

*Rolf clenches his teeth as he protests to John "Don't bring my mother into this, fool!"*

*John balls his fist, rolling up his sleeves "Your mother works in that brothel!"*

Attraction
Female

Eye contact - anything more than a glance indicates initial interest.
Eye catch and look away - establishing eye contact then looking away or down is said by many experts to be the standard initial signal of interest designed to hook male reaction. The reliability of the signal meaning is strengthened when repeated and/or reinforced with longer eye-contact.
Eye-widening - interest, simultaneously increasing attractiveness/appeal.
Eyelash flicker - subtle movement of eyelashes to widen eyes briefly.
Flicking hair - often combined with a slight tossing movement of the head.
Straightening posture - standing taller, chest out, stomach in - a natural response to feeling the urge to appear more appealing.
Leaning forward - sitting or standing; leaning forwards towards a person indicates interest and attraction.
Fondling cylindrical objects - phallic transference, for instance using pens, a dangling earring, a wine glass stem, etc.
Mirroring - mirroring or synchronizing gestures and positions is a signal of interest and attraction.

Male

Posturing - Straight stance, chest out, shoulders back, stomach in.

'Chest-thumping' - a metaphor describing various male antics designed to draw attention to themselves, often involving play-punching or wresting other males, laughing too loudly, head-tossing, acting the fool, etc.

Room scanning

Preening and grooming - adjusting clothes, ties, sleeves, running hands through or over hair, etc.

Eye-widening

Facing down, looking up

Winking

Shoulders moving more frequently

But if you want a more detailed look on the whole romance thing, then please refer to this guide.

Distress

• Men in particular have an urge to stroke or scratch the nape of the neck when they're upset. Gesture to deal with "A pain in the neck"
  • Crossed arms, as if it was a protective barrier.
  • One-arm cross- One arm crosses the chest to hold the other arm
  • Sitting-Folding hands together, elbows on their knees

Examples in roleplay.

*Rolf sits down at his desk, and looks at the piece of parchment, scratching the back of his neck.*

*Smint sits opposite of him, with his elbows on his knees "Will you be able to do this, on your own?"

*Rolf looks up at him, one arm crossing his chest, scratching his other shoulder "This is just too much, lad, I already have too much weight on my shoulders"*

Lying
We have to admit, lying in roleplay is a little difficult, you can't just not have any effect on the character when he or she is lying to someone else ( I'm sure there is some different guide to it somewhere)

• Covering their mouth, like a shhh gesture, or the may just cover their mouth completly
  • Touching the nose, or below the nose, often a quick, merely noticeable gesture.
  • Rubbing their eyes (mostly men)
  • Scratching the neck 
  • Staring into someone's eyes (for some reason, people think other's are lying when they are not looking in the face, in fact- that is not true- when people lie, they often want to see the reaction to the lie, to make sure they are safe)

Honesty & Openness

• Exposure of the palms
  • Arms and legs unfolded
  • Leaning forward 

Closed 

• Keeping hands in the pockets
  • Arms and legs crossed
  • Sitting back
  • Folding the hands together on a table ( once again, creates a barrier)

Power, Dominance, Superiority

• Setting the tips of fingers together
  • Folding the hands behind the back
  • Hands on hips
  • Hands folded behind the head while sitting up (Mostly men)

Any feedback is welcome. If you have any more you think should be added, let me know. 

A nice guide! Good job! You may want to add more to the attraction list, as you only specified women's reactions. It is a bit of a difficult category...

A nice guide! Good job! You may want to add more to the attraction list, as you only specified women's reactions. It is a bit of a difficult category...

Add this to the Man Attraction section

draper_wink.gif

Thank you! And yes, as for men, I guess dominance would go right there as well.

Very good, I am impressed.

Although you could add some more emotes though, but you've covered the main ones so that's fine (since there's an ever-infinite number of actions one can do).

Perhaps add a little paragraph about the understanding of emoting and using the body language you have helped to detail here. Understanding how to use body language is just as important, learning to adapt these emotes to a variety of different situations or even combining them.

Very nice guide. Well organized and easy to understand. ^_^

Nice! I'll certainly be watching more for my body language while RPing.

*Updated 11.5.13 

-Organised in to two sections, Male and Female attraction

-Added roleplay examples on Distress and Anger