Guide To Forum Roleplay

Magiik

Hello, peoples of LoTC. I am Magiik, and I’m addressing something that is a big problem in the Forum Roleplay section: There aren’t many forum roleplays lasting much longer than a week. So, to fix this problem, I have decided to make a little guide pointing out quite a few mistakes that I’ve seen that ruin forum roleplays.  I’m also going to make a list of things that make a forum roleplay that is both popular and enjoyable.

Common Mistakes Made in Forum Roleplays:

• Poor Roleplay

• I’ve seen a few roleplays that have potential be completely ruined when someone starts to break the basic roleplay rules (No powergaming, metagaming, etc.). And this is not always just one person; it is a snowball effect. Pretty quickly, everyone is either using powergaming one-liners or has left.

• Lack of Story

• This isn’t always the reason, because, especially recently, we’ve had some really well thought-out stories. However, I’ve seen quite a few that have no base story (I even made one), and it ends up being very difficult to follow or roleplay on. For instance, a story and a basic goal gives everyone an idea as to where to start their character, and it can really help progress it.

• Large, Open World

• Yikes, this one causes problems. This can destroy a forum roleplay before it even begins. This is especially a problem with the sci fi roleplays, in which you can begin on completely separate planets.

• Too Many at a Time
  • This is a major problem. If a new forum roleplay is posted while there are already too many, it not only leads to its own demise, but it brings most of the others down with it.

• Absence

• This is the thing that leads to the most failing forum roleplays. It could be going perfectly fine, but then either the person who is running the entire thing or a person who is needed to continue a conversation or action disappears. Sometimes, it’s them simply being absent for a day or two. However, it’s often unexpected and unknown how long it will last. The players quickly run out of things to do because they’re waiting on a story or continuation post. It’s a huge problem.

Now, here’s how you can avoid these mistakes and make a good roleplay that will last a while.

How to Make a Forum Roleplay

• Come up with an idea

• To make a forum roleplay, you first need an idea. There are many ideas that have done well in the past, but you can really use anything you can think of.

• Write a detailed story

• This is vital: You cannot think, “Oh, I’ll just let the players decide where they’ll go with it.” No, it does not work. You need a good story that will have the players following it, always interested in what will happen next. If you don’t, then it can quickly collapse.

• Wait for the right time

• Once again, don’t post a new forum roleplay while there are already loads of others. Wait until the excitement dies down. Then you can post yours and get the maximum amount of attention.

• Post an OOC/App thread first

• This works to really get some attention for your roleplay. People can see what your new forum roleplay is about without having to worry about joining it. Plus, the application can help them develop their characters before using them. All in all, the application is important because it lets only the people who are truly interested join it.

• Post the RP thread

• Make sure to post it not long after the OOC thread. That way, interest hasn’t died down, and it’s still thought of as new.

• Assign others to help you

• Moderators are useful. They can help you keep track of things, and they can run the roleplay while (if) you’re gone. Be sure to let the moderators know your story plans.

• Have fun

Why wouldn't you? That's what we're here for. If you're not having fun, then maybe that roleplay isn't for you. Don't beat yourself up by trying to play it if you don't enjoy it.

Interesting Ideas & Innovations

These are some things I've seen that are revolutionary in making a fun roleplay. They can be used in most scenarios and really help make things interesting.

• Let players choose alignment

This doesn't mean you have to put an "alignment" section on the application. Just be prepared to accept characters who will work against the rest of the players. Sometimes, these make better villains than you had even thought of. Plus, you don't have to work on controlling the antagonist, which takes a bit of work off of you.

• Have an absence plan

This is more than having a moderator for when you're absent. How about when key players are absent, and the others can't continue without them? It's good to have some kind of plan here, whether it be something like players that are absent for more than a few days are controlled by the moderators, or players that leave for more than an hour un-announced are tortured in the town square for all to see before beheading them with a rusty butter knife.

On second thought, let's just stick to the first, shall we?

That’s really it. I may have more at another time, but this is all for now. Be sure to give me feedback and suggestions. I will most likely edit this as I think of more, so I suggest checking it often!

Thanks for reading.

Please, give this man a Medal. THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH FOR MAKING THIS THREAD! You have no idea IDEA how man times this has happened. Look at all those abandoned threads just sitting there. All because of the many reasons you have stated. Please, would someone pin this so that others can read it as well?!

* Nods in Emeralds general direction before pinning a Medal upon his chest.* 

"I say good sir, splendid job ol' chap! This is something that has been needed for a very long time now, but there are two things i would like to note from the old guide, maybe add them to this as well?:

1. Try and keep each post at least one paragraph or four lines long. There may be situations where two characters are talking back and forth and it seems simple enough to keep posts short. Just remember, though, that others have to read through this. Simple details can be added to keep posts more interesting and provide more roleplay opportunities.

2. - Be detailed! This is one of the greatest things about forum RP, you can take a lot longer than in-game RP to create long or detailed posts. You can add what your character does, what they think, why they’re acting in the way they are, what’s going on around them.

Apart from that, amazing guide. Much needed.

*Graciously accepts his medal*

I didn't put those because they're already there, on the old one. I'm trying to give new information, things I've noticed that need to be known.

If you really want it, though, I can add it when I get home along with a few other ideas I've had.

Thanks for the praise, guys. I hope this helps with future forum roleplays. I wanna see one actually get completed!

Source for various maps, world maps, custom names, factions, dungeon maps, planetary systems and much more. All randomized by generators:

http://donjon.bin.sh/

A very convenient site which I have been using previously (as the mapper in certain FRPs or Fantasy nation RPs).

* Facepalms "I made a post on a RP forum... without reading this. I am officially a idiot, and I hate myself. * Sigh"

Appreciate this a ton

I don’t see any guidelines for managing my countries numerous aspects, what are these individual characters you’re referring to? 0/10