[Lore] Braduk Rhinos

The Braduk Rhino

02RhinoConceptTHM_zps691b0ec5.jpg

((The following lore was originally written by Makka_Pakka_99 and the1bow, eventually edited by Catarrh, ilikefooddude and yimmya
Previous lore is Here))

Discovery

In Aegis, when the Braduk Clan was just starting off, a village war had broken out between the Braduk village, Kenuk, and a rivalling village led by Braduk’s half-brother, Gorjol. Dishonourable raids were leaving Kenuk in ruins, and the Braduks needed an edge. Braduk discovered rhinos roaming the mountain pass. The problem was that they only stood around the height of the average human, so they couldn’t support the weight of most Orcs. Braduk, however, still saw potential in the beasts’ sharp, sturdy horns and incredibly thick hides. After a short raid on Kenuk, Braduk decided to inspect the rhinos more closely. One was captured and brought to the village, and Braduk watched it stomp around in a pen for a while, pondering how the beasts could be used to their advantage.

Breeding

Braduk ordered for a few more to be captured, and started a breeding program in hopes of bigger, mountable rhinos to use in the Village Wars. He only bred the largest rhinos, which, at the time, weren’t much bigger than the average ones. Each generation was slightly larger than its parents, and as such the progress was painstakingly slow. It wouldn’t be until long after Braduk’s death that the rhinos would be big enough to ride. Two Chieftains after Braduk’s reign, Goregutz was finally pleased with the size and tried to mount the first Braduk Rhino.

Taming

At this point, the rhinos hadn’t been properly tamed yet. The larger ones were dangerous, and were kept locked up in caves situated not too far from the clan fort. Smaller ones were usually killed for meat and leather, though the clan was still eagerly awaiting the fruits of labour to be harvested from the massive Rhinos. Goregutz, as a show of strength and bravery, decided to try his luck with the only ten-foot rhino they had. He entered the pen with several other Orcs, and immediately the animal went berserk. It began to smash around, killing many that stood in its path, impaling and crushing the slowest of the Orcs with no more than a turn of its head. Goregutz, being one of the biggest, jumped at the rhino and mounted it. He grabbed it by its two long horns, holding on for his life as the Rhino tried it’s best to throw the Orc off its back. It bucked around like this for several minutes until it threw Goregutz off. The beast was tenacious, but so was Goregutz. He jumped back on the rhino, holding on even tighter, but even then he was bucked off multiple times. It took hours for it to tire out, and Goregutz barely outlasted it. Finally, the rhino grew tired and stopped. Exhausted just as much as the Rhino, Goregutz relaxed a bit, sitting on it calmly.

“Mi kall lat Gurtog,” said Goregutz.

The rhino grunted, and looked up at him with what resembled a look of respect.

Characteristics and relation with Orcs

Braduk Rhinos have a diet consisting of grains, grasses and small plants. Usually the untamed rhinos are kept in a pen and fed their daily meals, but once paired with an Orc they are let free to roam and eat as they please. Stunted Rhinos, a somewhat common occurrence in Braduk forts due to the lack of grasses, are usually killed and processed. Their hide is used in armour, their horns sometimes sharpened into daggers, and their meat is cooked up in stews and casseroles, being too tough for any other meal.

The rhino’s most common colour is grey though rare sand coloured rhinos can be born. The very first rhinos were black, but as time went on their skin lightened through reproduction. It is unknown if a black rhino remains, the last being Ghazkull’s, and there has only been one recording of a white rhino.

During infancy, the Braduk rhino will have just a bump where the horns will develop. As they mature, they grow two horns; one directly in front of the other. The front horn is longer than the back horn, and usually reaches an average length of 47 inches (120 cm), while the second horn usually reaches 35 inches (90 cm). If a horn is cut off, it will take decades to re develop, and during the first couple days, the hole will remain. It is a lethal spot, and if stabbed will result in a fatality. It’s common practice for a Braduk to customize his rhino’s horns by sharpening them, overlaying them with iron, or sometimes carving his name or important symbols into them.

Their thick hides cover most of their body and legs. It’s too thick to be penetrated by arrows, but hard swung weapons are capable of breaking the bones of the beasts. On some occasions, an Orc will use rhino hide as a moderate substitute for leather armour, and the clan mothers have been known to replace an Orc’s flesh with a rhino’s in serious injuries to prevent infection. The rhino’s underbelly is loose fat, and is the weakest spot on their body, save for the soft flesh behind their large ears and underneath the horns.

The average Braduk rhino stands from 9-10 ft tall, and can weigh between 8,000-8,500 lbs. As a result of their incredible size, their speed is depressingly slow. Bursts of speed are not uncommon, however; a charging rhino is capable of reaching a maximum speed of 40 kmh (approx. 25 mph), with enough force to break through solid brick walls. Additionally, what Braduk Rhinos lack in speed they definitely make up in stamina, being capable of maintaining a constant speed for as much as a day without rest.

The Braduk Rhinos grow at about the same rate as a normal Orc does. When an Orc cub is born into the Braduks, a rhino will already be chosen for him by one of the Elders of the clan, usually one born at around the same time. At the age of ten an Orc is shown to the Rhino, and this is where they will be bonded for life. They must first gain each other’s honour by engaging in a klomp. The Orc must do as Goregutz did, and mount the rhino until it ceases retaliation. The Orc will name the rhino, and in turn, the rhino will name the Orc. The Braduk Rhinos have their own respected contingents and have their own names; communicating to each other using a series of grunts, snarls, grumbles and roars. The bond between a rhino and an Orc is strong, and one can rarely live without the other. After the two have been paired, the rhino will scar the Orc with its horn, and in turn the Orc will scar the rhino with his favoured weapon.

The Braduk rhino is extremely difficult to train and control due to their ferocity and their horrible eyesight. They’re known to charge upon the slightest provocation, and it’s rare that a particular rhino can be approached by anyone other than its familiar rider. As a result, an Orc must spend tremendous amounts of time familiarizing himself with the rhino he wishes to ride. Due to their foul tempers, the rhino will commonly go into a bloodthirsty fit during battle, requiring truly masterful skill for a rider to maintain control, and such fits can cause just as much damage to the rider’s enemies as to his friends. Because of their poor eyesight, the rhino must also rely heavily on its strong sense of smell, though this of course presents further difficulty in training and control; a stray scent sometimes causing a Braduk Rhino to plough through a nearby wall without warning.

I reckon as long as Orcs can prove with screenshots [etc] that they have actually been doing all this RP bonding, it would be fine. 

So Orcs just don't immediately hop onto a Rhino and say that they done all the rp for it.

Sounds cool though!

Great idea, though I see a few things that have to be brought to attention. First off, their size on how tall they stand and their weight. 8000 to 8500 is a bit overkill for if you think about it. I don't  think a fully- grown troll would be able to do jack against one of these beasts.On that, maybe reducing the Braduk Rhinos weight by a few tons would help balance it out.

Seeing something that would weigh even two tons could smash a stone wall with no problem after a few times. And for their bursts of speed and long- travel durability. I think if the Rhinos weighted less, this would help tip the scale on making them realistically travel great distances at a moderate speed. And make them a fun role playing experience in general. From those who would be playing an orc, raising them in the bonding stages. To those who would cross their paths in traveling. A bit or work on this other then that, I give my support. +1

Great idea, though I see a few things that have to be brought to attention. First off, their size on how tall they stand and their weight. 8000 to 8500 is a bit overkill for if you think about it. I don't  think a fully- grown troll would be able to do jack against one of these beasts.On that, maybe reducing the Braduk Rhinos weight by a few tons would help balance it out.

Seeing something that would weigh even two tons could smash a stone wall with no problem after a few times. And for their bursts of speed and long- travel durability. I think if the Rhinos weighted less, this would help tip the scale on making them realistically travel great distances at a moderate speed. And make them a fun role playing experience in general. From those who would be playing an orc, raising them in the bonding stages. To those who would cross their paths in traveling. A bit or work on this other then that, I give my support. +1

Thank you for your imput! On the topic of the weight of Braduk Rhinos, we decided on 8000 to 8500 lbs as a weight on the rhinos that exist in real life. Their weight is generally about 7500-8000 lbs, and since Braduk Rhinos are significantly bigger than the ones in nature (About 1/5 times bigger) We decided to put up the weight for it to seem realistic. I'll discuss with Catarhh and yimmya about whether we should change it to make the Braduk Rhinos more balanced, however, and if we all agree, i'll edit the lore for the Rhinos to weigh less, and be able to run more.

I reckon as long as Orcs can prove with screenshots [etc] that they have actually been doing all this RP bonding, it would be fine. 

So Orcs just don't immediately hop onto a Rhino and say that they done all the rp for it.

Sounds cool though!

Good idea! When, or if, this lore is accepted, I'll make a post in the Orcish Badlands Roleplay section where a Braduk can apply to be able to use a Rhino, given enough screenshots on the topic.

The Rhino's biggest horn, extending about 150 centemeters, is about half of its full height, which on further discussion does seem a bit big. To put this in perspective, however, it would be like having a horn the length of your outstretched arm on top of your head, which somehow doesn't look quite as overproportional as it sounds. I'll change the length to 120 centemeters at your request, however. Thank you for your imput!

1.5 metre horns?

For those wondering how issues of size were decided, they were roughly determined by info on white rhinos here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros

I support, as a braduk and a orc. I believe we need this lore, it'd create interesting rp.

On the topic of the weight of Braduk Rhinos, we decided on 8000 to 8500 lbs as a weight on the rhinos that exist in real life. Their weight is generally about 7500-8000 lbs, and since Braduk Rhinos are significantly bigger than the ones in nature (About 1/5 times bigger)

If you are going to be basing the weight of the Braduk Rhinos in comparison to real life Rhinos, they would probably be smaller. Animals that live in the desert tend to be smaller than their lusher ecosystemed counterparts. In real life, desert foxes are puny compared to normal foxes, and they have huge ears. A realistic anatomy would probably 7000-7500 lb range, with larger ears. Even when you increase the size through Selective Breeding, the leaner physique and large ears would probably still exist. 

If you are going to be basing the weight of the Braduk Rhinos in comparison to real life Rhinos, they would probably be smaller. Animals that live in the desert tend to be smaller than their lusher ecosystemed counterparts. In real life, desert foxes are puny compared to normal foxes, and they have huge ears. A realistic anatomy would probably 7000-7500 lb range, with larger ears. Even when you increase the size through Selective Breeding, the leaner physique and large ears would probably still exist. 

Thank you for bringing this up!

Well, the Braduk Rhinos weren't actually native to the desert.

As stated in the recount, Braduk found these animals roaming a mountain pass. Upon moving them to the desert for breeding, they were kept in caves surrounding the fort to keep them at a suitable temperature until eventually they adapted to the temperature outside. Big ears though! That would make sense for a desert rhino, and i'll add it to the lore. It was said that the Braduk clan had an extremely hard time using selective breeding to create the animals as they are today. Smaller rhinos were more common than large ones, and were usually killed for meat rather than be used for breeding. The Orcs of Braduk were in a constant battle against the harsh desert, so to speak, as it was continuously pushing the progress of breeding the rhinos to size backwards.

I think the lore is great though I think the breeding is unrealistic. First of all, orcs are not the brightest race and wouldn't have the knowledge that breeding the rhinos would somehow enlarge it not to mention that their would need to be a recessive gene to enlarge it at all. Then to enlarge it again you would need to use another gene therefor making it take a lot longer then said. Secondly I don't think you would be able to breed them without taming them first as mentioned. It is possible but it would add time to the clock so if you could flip that around it would make it a little more realistic. Also from what I have seen and read in orc lore, is that they are not exactly strategic. This being said I doubt they would see potential in the rhinos and use them as mounts, if anything they would use them purely for warfare. I love the lore though, the rhinos aren't much of the problem it is just the orc personality and mindset. On another note if you could make it more flexible so that perhaps dwarves, elves, kha', or humans could obtain the rhino by other means such as stealing/raiding, scouting the badlands, etc... Just so it isn't restricted to one specific clan.

Ugh, sorry this happens..... D:. I can't figure out how to delete it.

I think the lore is great though I think the breeding is unrealistic. First of all, orcs are not the brightest race and wouldn't have the knowledge that breeding the rhinos would somehow enlarge it not to mention that their would need to be a recessive gene to enlarge it at all. Then to enlarge it again you would need to use another gene therefor making it take a lot longer then said. Secondly I don't think you would be able to breed them without taming them first as mentioned. It is possible but it would add time to the clock so if you could flip that around it would make it a little more realistic. Also from what I have seen and read in orc lore, is that they are not exactly strategic. This being said I doubt they would see potential in the rhinos and use them as mounts, if anything they would use them purely for warfare. I love the lore though, the rhinos aren't much of the problem it is just the orc personality and mindset. On another note if you could make it more flexible so that perhaps dwarves, elves, kha', or humans could obtain the rhino by other means such as stealing/raiding, scouting the badlands, etc... Just so it isn't restricted to one specific clan.

Thank you for your imput! However:

Despite what most people may think, Orcs are not supid. They may migrate more to violence to solve their problems, be rash, stubborn and thickheaded, but Orcs have the capability to be as smart as any other member of any other race. The mindset of most Orcs, however, prevent attributes such as what some may consider 'smart' to be shown. Yes, maybe Orcs cannot write great novels or make brilliant inventions as the humans can, create amazing architextural feats like the dwarves, or be as knowledgable in the ways of the forests as the elves, but they are in fact intelligent in their own ways. They can be described as wise, strategic, and show a great promise to be able to learn. Learning, not the ability to show what you have learnt, is what I believe is the true definition of intelligence.

I fear I have gone off topic, however, so I will summerize.

Braduk was a wise and inventive chieftain, making many intelligent decisions for his clan despite his need for vengance and retribution. I belive that it is indeed possible Braduk would have thought that the rhinos could be used for mounts, and indeed perhaps with the help of the Goblins in kenuk, he could have come up with the idea of selective breeding.

The reason I made the Braduk Rhinos become so big so quickly was due to previous lore being written involving the rhinos. Already I have extended the time by one hunded years compared to the previous lore, and by doing so have created conflict in already existing lore involving the Braduks. By making the time of selective breeding smaller, I had hoped to prevent further clashes with lore on the Braduks. I will, however, at your request, change the time that it took for the rhinos to grow to their current size.

Additionally- About the Rhinos being available to other races. Currently, the only Braduk rhinos in Anthos are in the possession of the Braduk clan, the original beasts being in a land far away; Braduk Rhinos only existing here due to migration with the Braduk clan. If the Braduk clan was to fall however, or a few are stolen, yes, it is possible for other races to breed and have access to the Braduk Rhinos. But- I would much rather this wouldn't happen. Braduk Rhinos are supposed to be restricted beasts, being hard to breed, tame and control, even for the Braduks. Having every third person (hyperbole) riding around on giant rhinos isn't exactly what I would like to release upon Anthos, and such I have made the animals hard to spread and more of a nuisance to breed than what they are worth. I plan on making a thread in the Orcish Badlands Roleplay section where people can apply for a Braduk Rhino, given enough sceenshots of training and such, just to control how many people can have them. It will be a system close to what is used in Magic, and each member will be carefully watched by myself and other responsible people.

Thank you for your questions, and your contribution to the Braduk Rhino lore.