[Lore] Vallel'avern: The Riftborn

The Media Wizard

The air was cold and dense with the rich smells of the local bakery. The Kingsroad was clear for the most part, save for a lone Elf casually stepping down the cobble way. His clothes shone with energy, his smile warm and endearing.

Azoth Hawksong walked down the path at a brisk, light pace in the early hours of the morning. He was headed to the land of Oren to inspect a collection of priceless books and parchments in which he believed he could simply resell in his store, Wandering Wares.

As he approached a small curve in the road, a sharp sound was heard beside him. Azoth stopped and glanced towards the thick woods, his smile fading to an expression of focus. With the ease of  snapping his fingers, Azoth inhaled a sharp breath. The young Wizard's eyes lit with the concentration of his Voidal connection, showing him the world which he loved; one enchanted with magics!

SNAP!

With a sudden glance, Azoth realized what the sound had been. Above him, a branch the size of himself from an ancient oak tree had snapped in two, the large piece of wood swiftly falling towards him. With all the desperation and fear within himself, Azoth thrust his hand forward. He had no spell ready, no plan. What he had conjured was pure, raw mana. More mana than he had ever casted before in a single spell.

Suddenly, the branch hit the ground. No injuries, no concenrs... except the ragged robes of Azoth buried beneath the oak. The young, elven Wizard... had vanished.

~*~

cloaked_mage_by_far_east_ghost-d4aro55.j

What is a Riftborn?

The vallel’avern - or “Riftborn” in the Common tongue - is a title given to Void users who transfer their body, soul, and mind to the Rift by way of energy. The Elven term translates to “Blue Wanderer".

What is the Rift?

The retayna - or Rift in the Common tongue - is the realm between the living world and the Void in which the excess energy from casting spells is transferred and even stored to not upset the balance of energies between the two planes of existence (this is done in respect of the Law of Conservation of Energy).

How is a being sent to the Rift?

The Rift acts as a bridge between the two realms. When a Void user pulls an unprecedented amount of mana from Void without first materializing it or casting any particular magic, raw energy enters the Rift and therefore the material world. This usually occurs when an experienced caster prepares to cast without any specific spell in the face of present danger. To compensate, the Rift dispenses vast quantities to the Void as to not upset the shift of energy. This event in turn leaves the Rift deprived of active energy that it must fill. With the mana acting in the physical world, the Rift begins to draw upon the energy of the point of entry; the caster.

In a fraction of a second, the Rift consumes the caster’s body, soul and mind. As the bridge breaks, the Rift is left to draw in enough of the uncasted mana from the physical realm and caster to balance all once more. The event is known as the Rip-Flash, as the caster is torn from the physical realm and into the Rift in such a quick moment.

How does the caster become a Riftborn?

Once inside of the Rift, the caster sees both the physical and Voidal planes. They hold no form or mass, yet they gain a new set of senses that allow them to perceive their new surroundings. Time in the Rift is a debatable concept, allowing the Riftborn to learn their world at their own pace without relations to the passage of time in the physical realm.

The learning process is laborious for the Riftborn, taxing their newly developed senses and bringing them to face the perils of the Rift. But, once the caster learns to control their own energies and that of the Rift, Void, and physical world, they become able to transfer portions of themselves to different planes of existence.

When a Riftborn first materializes in the physical plane, they must slowly create their persona in the realm. They do hold mass in this realm, transferring their energy into substance; however, the more detailed they become with such a persona, the more of their limited energy is used. This causes their previous knowledge of magics to lower, as the risk of being consumed into the Void rises with the more energy they transfer between realms. This is why most Riftborns simply create undetailed masses which conceal themselves in physical clothing as to hold some form of life.

What abilities do the Riftborn have?

The Riftborn do not hold many powers or advantages in the physical world. But, among the list include:

1. The ability to travel between the Rift and physical world (though such requires concentration and focus equal to casting a Tier 3 spell).

2. An immunity to illness and natural conditions (ex: cold, heat, etc).

3. The neglection of food and water.

4. The ability to change their physical appearance (though such requires them to re-enter the Rift and return after successfully changing their appearance, unless the use of Illusion is involved).

5. The ability to draw in energy from both planes. The Riftborn hold another ability; one that can prolong some of the harms. By drawing energy from the Rift into itself in small enough quantities, a Riftborn can stabilize itself more easily to avoid the risk of Voidal consumption. This also helps in many other factors, but energy must be taken slowly over time to avoid and rapid shifts.

What consequences do the Riftborn face?

The Riftborn are truly survivors, as their existence is in constant threat of being consumed by the Void. Excluding any social occurrences and disapproval, the Riftborn are still beings living in an active zone of constant transferring energies. As they themselves are beings of energy in the Rift, they are under constant threat of being consumed along with physical energy by the Void to compensate for the unbalanced forces. Some of the consequences which Riftborn face from this occurrence include:

1. The limiting of their casting. This is due to the fact that if they disrupt the balance of mana too much, they risk being consumed in the Rift by the Void as the Rift had done to their physical forms in the physical realm.

2. Death depletes their lifeforce. Unlike being revived by the Monks, the Riftborn’s physical manifestations are not simply revived, healed or recreated. If they lose their bridge to the physical world, the energy sent their fades away from the caster’s control, thereby taking a portion of their original energy. This also leaves them more susceptible to Void consumption, as their lower energies could be more swiftly consumed if the energy displacement was too rapid. A healthy Riftborn can expect to be able to lose their transferred energies about 15 times before being consumed by the Void or being unable to transfer the required amount to the physical realm to take shape.

3. Riftborn cannot be healed. Riftborn injuries are purely disruptions of their energy, causing any healing to be useless. To heal injuries, a Riftborn must first retreat into the Rift after it’s casting period and return with it’s  newly developed energy to fill the wound. This however does not interfere with prior connections to deities or being conscripted into any followings of noted groups (ex: Ascended, Undead, Clerics, etc).

4. Riftborn feel immense pain. Because the sense of “feeling” becomes foreign to the Riftborn once they enter the Rift, it is amplified and more so damaging to their physical manifestations. This may affect their ability to retreat into the Rift, causing them to “bleed” energy for long periods of time, even leading to death in some cases.

5. Riftborn cannot reproduce. The beings of the Rift do not have the ability to create life due to their lower understanding of transferring energy into sperm or eggs. This causes them to become asexual, and unable to generate offsprings.

6. Riftborn age as normal. This occurrence is purely mental, as they unknowingly deplete their own life forces in the Rift to match the physical capabilities of those they knew before their death. This occurrence can be halted if they retreat their entire beings to the Rift for a minimum of 2 years; however, the moment they return to the physical world, they will once again continue to age as their perception of others returns.

7. Their mana-pool varies. Upon the threat of rapid transferring energies causing them to be consumed, Riftborn are only as powerful magically as the energy surrounding them. If a massive amount of energy is displaced by another caster near to the Riftborn, both his mana-pool and risk of consumption become dangerously shifted. To cause the risk of consumption of a Riftborn, two casters using Tier 5 spells would need to cast in the radius of two meters of the Riftborn in relatively the same moment.

~*~ OOC ~*~

I am seeking to make the Riftborn a race of simple beings who are connected by this shared experience. It would not give them many special perks and would be a burden to most! But Role Playing with complications is the best for some, like I.

I'd like to hear any feedback, answer questions and take some constructive criticism so I could hopefully help grow this idea into a full-fledged deal. Many thanks in advance! :D

Black writing hurts.

Sorry 'bout that! Copying it from my Google Doc made it do that. It is fixed now. :)

Sorry 'bout that! Copying it from my Google Doc made it do that. It is fixed now. :)

You sinned my eyes. Now I must read

It seems... eh... I wouldn't call it a race. But the idea is fairly good so... +1 ALSO ADD PICTURES.

"No pictures on this lore I don't like it" -TheHuskyPuppy, 2015

But seriously, I thought no more racial lore was to be accepted?

Is this similar to the Void Wraith that was proposed, a few weeks back?

I'd consider it more of a... 'transformation' or 'rebirth' to prior races. Though "[Race Lore]" is the best comparison I could make for the thread.

Is this similar to the Void Wraith that was proposed, a few weeks back?

Perhaps. I had not read into the Void Wraith prior to creating this short analysis of my idea. Sorry! :(

A question! I have a question. I didn't see any mention of whether or not this affects appearance. Do these riftborn fellows look different to normal people? Should probably change the bit where it says race lore too. Better off referring to it as a playable group or something. 

A question! I have a question. I didn't see any mention of whether or not this affects appearance. Do these riftborn fellows look different to normal people? Should probably change the bit where it says race lore too. Better off referring to it as a playable group or something. 

The Riftborn have the ability to change their appearance in the physical world by way of manipulating energy into substance. But, the more detailed they become with their appearance, the more of their original energy will be used. This in turn makes them more weak in the Rift and unable to cast vast amounts of magic without risking being consumed by the Void.

And aye, I changed it. Many thanks! :D

Perhaps make it a creature?

By consuming all of their energy and being consumed by the void. Would this become a forced PK? If that is the case I personally don't really see this magic being accepted, I like the idea mind you, but if forcing PK is a downside I can't really see this catching on by a whole lot of other people. An ET creature perhaps, though it's not really a creature as it is more of an ascension of a kind. My other question, due to the state of the void and the random nature of what at least we believe it to be. Would this have any mental damage to the person? Or something of that sort.

By consuming all of their energy and being consumed by the void. Would this become a forced PK? If that is the case I personally don't really see this magic being accepted, I like the idea mind you, but if forcing PK is a downside I can't really see this catching on by a whole lot of other people. An ET creature perhaps, though it's not really a creature as it is more of an ascension of a kind. My other question, due to the state of the void and the random nature of what at least we believe it to be. Would this have any mental damage to the person? Or something of that sort.

By becoming a Riftborn, the caster would be set in the bridge between the physical plane and the Void. Being consumed by the Rift is somewhat like being consumed by the Void, except all consciousness would fade away. Of course, the RPer would hold judgement on how many times they /want/ to lose energy, but I set 15 times as a standard for those who would strive to RP it faithfully.

And I do not expect it being an instant catch either. A creature such as this adds a plethora of complications and complexity, which I feel only a small portion of the populace would undertake. So yes, I do hope not EVERYONE becomes one!

And concerning the mental damage; that depends. The entire being being transferred into raw energy and sent to a LIMBO type realm is quite insane and would definitely mess with someone. But it is the player's choice as to whether they wish for mental harm or not. There is not standard in that realm as it is pure energy being manifested and controlled.

Yeah, I can see the similarities. Though the Riftborn are likewise made of pure energy, they are weakened by their present standing in the Rift which lowers their tolerance. Perhaps the Riftborn are related to the Voidal Wraiths in some fashion? Perhaps they are the same, but the path and powers they took from such an experience have made them different in some aspects?

Or perhaps the Riftborn are a missed step in Wraithood. Perhaps being consumed by the Void would hold yet another chance of being reborn a Wraith, stripping a Riftborn of emotions.