[11/04] Lore Q/a And R&d

Jistuma

New thread since we're compiling Magic and Alchemy Q/A into the same thread. R&D and Investigation being compiled as well

Current Lore masters:

- Lore Admin

Tsuyose

- Lore Team Lead

Supremacyops 

- Lore Masters

hellfiazz

Pandann

Tsuyose

Ski_king3

Dizzy771

Birdwhisperer

- Lore Keepers

BoogerBuster

501warhead

Kalamoot

Any questions you have about lore, of any kind, be it alchemy, history, creature, magic, you can ask in this thread.

If you are doing an investigation IC, you can place the roleplay you did in here, and we will respond what happens.

Magic FAQ

Q: Can I create a character that already knows magic?
A: You can not create a character that already knows magic, all characters that know magic have to learn it, be it by themselves or with a teacher..

Q: What are the current canon lore accepted magic types?
A: Arcane magic (Transfiguration, Runesmithing, Bardmancy, Beardmancy, Telekinesis, Void Translocation, Illusion, Mind magic, Cognitism, Evocation, Conjuration.), Cleric magic (Priest healing, War clerics), Shamans (Witch Doctor, Elementalists, Lutauman, Far Seer), Druid magic, Monk magic, Dark magic (Necromancy, Frost Witch magic, Contract magic, Soul Puppetry, Shade, Drakaar's Boon), Fi’hiiran’tanya magic (anti-magic), Muun’Trivazja magic (kha magic), Ascended magic.

Q: What characters can learn magic?
A: Any sentient character has the means to learn magic, this means humans, elves, orcs, dwarves, khas, and any mix of them. This means no animal character may ever learn how to perform magic.

Q: What magics can my character learn?
A: All of them, yet magic has in character restrictions on them that require you to go through the necessary steps to acquire it.

Q: Can my character be born able to use magic?
A: Every character is able to learn magic, but no character can be born already knowing how to use it. If you wish to create a magic that is inborn, you will need to get it accepted beforehand.

Q: Does my character have to learn how to use magic?
A: Yes, your character has to learn magic, either by a teacher, or through the process of self teaching.

Q: Can I invent my own magic?

A: You can not, since the end of Mechanical Standard, no longer can you do magic that does not follow lore.

Q: Can I be a powerful mage and a powerful warrior at the same time?
A: No, although you can still be a mage and warrior at the same time, so long as you aren't extremely proficient at both. This is because magic and physical combat are inversely related, meaning that as you become more powerful in one you become weaker in the other. - http://www.lordofthe...magic/?hl=magic

Q: Can I store mana for later use?
A: Mana that is stored in such things as gems and obelisks can only be used for the enchantment it is connected to. It can not be readquired by the mage for their use, as mana only links to the one person that creates it, and after leaving the body can not return. - http://www.lordofthe...ttery/?hl=magic

Q: Can I control the elements of the world with Evocation?
A: No, evocation is the temporary creation of elements by use of the void. To control the natural elements, you have to learn Elementalism, which is part of Shamanism. Yet remember that new magics can be created.

Q: Can I learn shamanism without being an orc?
A: Yes, but you have to be taught, which means you probably have to be accepted into the orc culture.

Q: Can I learn Necromancy without a teacher?
A: You can not. Necromancy uses the lifeforce of the caster, and while learning they can not drain lifeforce from others. This means that if you do not have a teacher to give you lifeforce, you will die while learning it.

Q: Can I roleplay combat magic?
A: Yes, but be warned, your skill in magic will be up subjected to your skill in roleplaying. Also remember, that while you may be more powerful, weaker than another in a roleplay fight, in pvp you are always the same as your opponents (subjected to OOC skill in PVP, and armor/weapon).

Q: Can I have both clerical magic and Arcane magic?
A: No, even the creator clerics can no longer perform both types of magic. They are bound by the ‘no-arcane’ rules of clerical and their patron is Tahariae, yet the character may not know of this.

Q: Can I use Air Evocation to send others flying?
A: Yes, but you have no control over what happens, it’s like an explosion.

Q: Can I fly with use of magic?
A: No.

Q: What are the limitations about the number of magics my character can do?
A: There are no limitations on how many magics your character can do, but some of the magics by lore forbide the learning of other magics. Also remember that if your character can do a lot of magics, he will not be very proficient in them as if he would in only do one or two.

Q: Can children learn magic?
A: Children would not be able to control their powers as such a young age. A character would have to be 15 years old for a safe use of magic.

Alchemy Almanak

Update of the Alchemy Lore

https://www.lordofth...my-lore-update/

Updated ingredients, potions and lore into a single thread.

Check this thread for potion effects, as it is more updated.

Potions detailed in here:

• Mending Potion
  • Potion of Regeneration
  • Potion of Strength 
  • Potion of Stoneskin 
  • Potion of Celerity
  • Potion of Acuity
  • Wizard's Wisdom
  • Potion of Smoke Whispers
  • Potion of Sleeping
  • Potion of Freezing
  • Waterbreathing Potion
  • Frost Oil
  • Flame Oil 
  • Fortitude Oil
  • Hair Rejuvinating Oil
  • Glue Oil
  • Alchemist's Fire 

Tales of a Travelling Alchemist
http://www.lordofthe...d-alchemy-lore/
The original alchemy lore.

• Mending 
  • Strength 
  • Stoneskin 
  • Celerity
  • Acuity
  • Flame Oil 
  • Frost Oil
  • Fortitude Oil
  • Alchemist's Fire 
  • Wizard's Wisdom

More potions and ingredients:
http://www.lordofthe...s-for-30anthos/

• Smoke Whispers
  • Sailors Mate
  • Torch Light

Even more potions and ingredients:

http://www.lordofthe...nd-potion-book/

• Oil Glue
  • Hair Rejuvinating Oil
  • Massage Oil
  • Sleeping Potion

Note: Fix the magic Q and A, it says you can learn it yourself!

Note: Fix the magic Q and A, it says you can learn it yourself!

Still does? I thought I changed that. Thanks!

Edit: I did make the changes before, where does it say you can learn it by yourself?

Still does? I thought I changed that. Thanks!

Edit: I did make the changes before, where does it say you can learn it by yourself?

In the FAQs.

dad789559fd08c7b7b469b3f0f5c39f5.png

81df537bcb7214955bf28562974e06b9.png

Golden pools, what are they? Why are they able to mutate an entire lineage of people, make refined gold, glowstone and golden ore literally rot, cause explosions that make structurally sound plateaus - so stable you could build a city on them. They're so multi-purpose it seems like Billy Mays should have been selling golden pool water instead of oxyclean.

But seriously, what is the actual lore behind them? They're clearly magical and a whole entire faction is taking advantage to them, so I figured it was relevant.

Golden pools, what are they?

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/93968-the-golden-pools/

Basicly they are pools of water that stayed in magegold filled caves for over millenia.

Why are they able to mutate an entire lineage of people,

The pools are rather magical in that sense. They make the skin more light, as well as the hair, and slowly remove scars and make mental changes. Of course this takes a long time to happen.

make refined gold

They don't make refined gold.

glowstone and golden ore literally rot, cause explosions that make structurally sound plateaus - so stable you could build a city on them. They're so multi-purpose it seems like Billy Mays should have been selling golden pool water instead of oxyclean.

Those were NOT golden polls, and the lore for the explosion was changed to make more sense. Everything you stated was done by BNK without him really knowing what Golden Polls were. They don't rot, they don't explode, they take centuries to change an elf into a high elf.

What merits lore to be acceptable? What are the requirements for it to get implemented? What sort of lore does this server need?

What merits lore to be acceptable? What are the requirements for it to get implemented? What sort of lore does this server need?

No matter what I may think, quality of writing and original presentable idea is extremely important. Quality of writing does not mean excessive writing, that normally makes it worse. Lore Masters are people too, and between reading 4 paragraphs of well condensed lore, or reading 12 where we must search all the hay for hidden needles, you'll understand why we perfer the 4 paragraphs.

Then of course, it has to not be OP, or have weaknesses that combat the OPness. Golems for example are made of stone, and are very hard to defeat, yet their biggest weakness is that they can't do much without being comanded to. They are bound by their Impera.

They can't break lore and must fit into the world. This seems to be ignored many times, expecially in new magics. Many times a lore simply does not fit into the world of LOTC. People try to add, when many times they could just extend on.

Either way, all LMs have their tastes and thoughts. That is why we have votes, no matter what one LM thinks, there will be another that thinks diferently. This means the good lore, the lore that most of the LMs like passes through, while the lore that most LMs doesn't like, stays behind.

I will also add something atop Jistuma's points,

Do not make it restrictive. There is nothing more infuriating than lore than aims to only benefit a very small fraction of the server, if you make something and allow it to be open to all it fits more nicely with us. We get you want something that makes your server experience more meaningful and there is nothing wrong with that, however we're here to benefit the server and not just small groups of people.

If you are doing an investigation IC, you can place the roleplay you did in here, and we will respond what happens.

5WxQDuk.png

"Heial, why do you look so smug?"

"I'll tell you why! /I/ have just invented the next revolutionary device in arcane combat, a FIRE gauntlet. I've mixed molten iron with a heavy sprinkling of netherackk dust to create a device capable of burning indefinitely -- or that's the theory."

"But won't that just melt the hand off someone?"

"Didn't say it would be useful, just said it should work. We'll know just as soon as I pull it out of the forge..."

Why is there no LM app section?

Why is there no LM app section?

If you're wanting to become an LM then you contact one of us directly, we'll format you the application from there.

We prefer this means because we're not actively recruiting, we work on a democratic voting system and when too many people are introduced the review times etc take too long. It's also our opportunity to have a more in-depth review of our participants, you do not only need to know lore but have the capability to write it and review it with enough detail.

5WxQDuk.png

"Heial, why do you look so smug?"

"I'll tell you why! /I/ have just invented the next revolutionary device in arcane combat, a FIRE gauntlet. I've mixed molten iron with a heavy sprinkling of netherackk dust to create a device capable of burning indefinitely -- or that's the theory."

"But won't that just melt the hand off someone?"

"Didn't say it would be useful, just said it should work. We'll know just as soon as I pull it out of the forge..."

As the sprinkling of netherrack dust is added to the hot molten metal, huge flames arise from it. Throughout the forging of the blade, the metal worker would have to deal with the high flames until the metal is finally forcifully cooled down, since it would still be aflame. The result would be a darkish red metal with rough texture. Tests would suggest it's a bit more brittle than normal steel, bits breaking off if an impact is high.

The tests with fire would result just as expected, the metal would ignite, and quickly heat up. While using protective paddings might aid in not losing an arm, the heat of the flames would also affect the rest of the body, including face and torso. It's use for armor falls to rubish with the effect of the metal when heatted up being even more brittle, shards of the armor being easily broken off by small hits. This makes weapons with the metal highly unlikely as well, as a single hit with a flaming weapon could maybe break the metal in two. Other uses do exist, and might be interesting to make. Using the metal as a top of a torch could make a long lasting fire, and being able to more easily give shape to the ore by mixing it with the metal can make fantastic pieces of art.