[Playable Race] [Wip] Lycanthropy

Kalehart

((WIP. There are likely a lot of inconsistencies and other such flaws. If you have any input or ideas, please share them. This lore is currently undergoing a rework and is subject to extensive change.))

*Within a dreary corner of a desolate and decrepit cave, a dirty leather-bound diary is discovered. The boresome cover of this book is burned and beaten. Page upon page of preposterous lunacy and presumptuous posterizations are contained within; but on a few precious posterior pages, an idea is proposed. It starts with a sketch; the being depicted surreal and savage. Below this, a quaint quote.*

DVRVIrG.jpg

“Beware the moon, for its light reveals that which most do not wish to see. That which the sun banishes, and the fire makes fearful. It shows truth, for better or worse.”

Introduction:

I implore you dearest reader, to consider the many myths of manic monstrosities that manage to make many an appearance in the tales of maidens and mothers. Begin to believe that such beings are all but false; beware, however, the misconceptions of man and of beast. Within these pages I write to you of a vile disease; those affected rendered little more than victims to its voracious variations and vicious effects. I will withhold no detail, hoping to make these pages a place wherein enlightenment might be found for the wholly unaware of such creatures as Werewolves.

I will write plainly from here on out so that I might not be misunderstood or maliciously misconstrued. Allow me now to tell you of these creatures, their misfortune, and their saving grace. I wish to clarify beforehand that I have named these creatures Lycanthropes in the stead of such words as ‘Werewolf’ or ‘Wolfman’.

They are of wolves and man, and thus share traits of both. The volatile nature of wolves- their instinct to hunt, create packs, or lash out when cornered. This is, however, tempered by the mind of a mortal- one able to reason and feel just as any other. It is this fact that makes the beings both tragic and very fearsome; for wolves can be dangerous as they are, and as can men. Thusly, a lycanthrope poses twofold the danger of mere man or beast.

I wish not to mislead you, however. For the great danger these beings can pose, they may also be great allies; as a wolf may be tamed by man, so too can the inner beast of these creatures be tamed, and thus utilized. If the infected party is particularly strong of mind and will, it is possible for them to tame their internal beast and use it to their advantage- be that good or bad, I suppose, depends upon the man or, indeed, woman.

Now that you understand the plight and in some rare cases gift of these creatures, I will speak of them in more detail. I implore you, however, to keep these beings correctly framed in your mind. Do not become enamoured with them, or believe that they are simply misunderstood; for it is possible that such beliefs will only fade when you are being devoured by one.

Origins:

7pokESv.jpg

The source of this curse is a mystery even to me. Though I’ve spoken with countless afflicted, and tracked lines of the curse back as far as I can, I have found no conclusive answer. The only thing that I do know is that it seems the eldest of the Lycanthropes- those whom most I have met trace their lineage back to- stem from the Adunian race.

I can only speculate on the true source of this ailment, but nevertheless I will attempt to explain it as I have been able to theorize. Due to the unique interactions with druidic magic, I’ve come to the conclusion that it is likely of natural origin, or at the very least of a natural diety’s make. There is, however, a consistent belief among most groups of lycanthropes- a religion of sorts, though it is not so organized or enforced.

I cannot verify the integrity of this belief (though most certainly not for lack of effort), but I shall begin there for lack of a better starting point. The basis of this belief is tribal- almost orcish in nature, though more closely tied in technicality to druidism. It speaks of a creature known as the Valuk’sha- a wolf-like being of great power and influence. Though it is not stated outright, I believe Valuk’sha to be of aengulic or daemonic nature. It is also possible that Valuk’sha is a druidic Aspect, though this is not as heavily implied.

It is said that Valuk’sha was the servant and companion of God, in much the same manner that a hound may be to us. Valuk’sha was no mere hound, however, and resented the disrespect of its kin. The creature, known to be wise and calm; loyal to those whom proved good company, and of great bravery and strength, is said to have grown prideful and bitter. Though Valuk’sha had seen its celestial kin converse, it had always been ignored; told to be silent when it spoke, and punished when it refused to do so. Though as it grew resentful it tried to speak with God; pleaded and begged to be allowed the rights of its kin, each time it went unheard, and each time it grew more resentful.

Time passed; thousands upon thousands of years. Eternities we cannot imagine wherein Valuk’sha endured its mistreatment and fought valiantly between its pride and its knowledge that this was its place. No single act broke the will of Valuk’sha, but a gathering of countless years’ hardships. It was then, when Valuk’sha finally surrendered to pride and anger, that this curse was created.

Valuk’sha became enraged. So much so that the newly born realm of mortals trembled with its howls; shattering the surface and sending innocents falling to the void. Even God himself was unprepared for the wrath of Valuk’sha, as the creature that had once been the most valiant protector of Him turned against His will. The heavens, earth, and void itself quaked as Valuk’sha rebelled- attacking without remorse or thought those who had once believed it to be their loyal friend.

For countless more eternities, this fight raged; evenly matched on both sides as God and his servants defended against but did not attack the creature known now as the  Red Hound- christened such after the many oceans of mortal and immortal blood it had spilled. God, in His eternal forgiveness, could not be brought to harm his once loyal companion.

As with all things, the Red Hound’s rage slowly subsided. Each attack it threw against God’s armies became weaker bit by bit, until finally, the creature collapsed before the might of God. Spent of its anger and fury, all that was left to Valuk’sha was sorrow, for it had bitten the hand that fed it, and killed those it was meant to protect.

As Valuk’sha kneeled before God, He kneeled too. In whispered tongues it is said that God praised the beast’s strength and endurance, lending it a comforting hand. He was pained to see what had become of his child, but too wise to let its sins go unpunished. It was with sorrow and respect that God plunged his blade into Valuk’sha’s heart, holding the beast as it howled and heaved, life ebbing from its body in the form of a deep crimson ichor.

Too absorbed was God in the death of his companion to notice as a single drop of Valuk’sha’s blood dripped from the heavens and fell to the mortal realm, where it was found by an adunian child known as Gare. Homeless, thirsty and near death, Gare drank from the crimson pool of spilled ichor in hopes that it might sate his hunger.

Indeed it did, though replaced it with all of Valuk’sha’s remaining fury.

It is at this point that the legend begins to resemble many others. As you would expect, Gare is meant to be the Father of all lycanthropes, and the ichor of Valuk’sha is said to run in the veins of all who taste of this curse. Gare spread the curse of Valuk’sha as he was consumed by the remaining fury of the once-god, beginning the plague of the Lycanthrope.

Interpretations of this tale are greatly varied, and I will avoid speculating on them.

Effects:

Transformation Intro:

Within everyone is an animal; the part of one that responds to fear, anger, pain... An instinctive side that can make the unwary do things they deeply regret. For the beings I write of, this is true tenfold. Their inner beast is not only metaphorical, but highly physical. Indeed, they are most recognized by the uncanny transformation they may undergo if the situation is right; turning from mere man into a vicious entity more closely related to monster. How this change functions, I cannot say- they are hard enough to study at all, much less in such close quarters. As best I can hypothesize, the transformation is brought on by some form of nature-based magic.

There are multiple variations to the transformation that depend on the individual. How completely they transform is a matter of age and experience; I’ve heard tales of the eldest of the beasts transforming in full to the shape of a wolf, though far larger than any regular or, indeed, even dire wolf. Regardless, a lycanthrope’s transformed self is closely related to their human form- taking on equivalent traits. A frail man will indeed be a frail wolf, and a dexterous man will be a similarly dexterous wolf. I will discuss this matter in far more detail later on; for I wish here to only to give an overview of what makes these creatures what they are.

Contagion:

As any disease, Lycanthropy can be contracted and passed from one person to another. For the most part, this illness is passed by way of bite. One thing that makes this disease unique however, is its tendency to pick and choose those who are infected- by what means I cannot say. For some who escape with only a bite (which is somewhat rare) they may only need to fight off regular infection, and be done with it. For others, they will find themselves cursed as the one who bit them.

Allergy to Silver:

The best way to fight a lycanthrope is with weapons of silver. The metal burns their flesh like molten iron, and pierces their hide with ease. The agony brought to these beasts by the introduction of silver to their body is unimaginable by regular standards, and I have yet to encounter a beast that cannot be brought down with a simple silver bolt. Even in human form, lycanthropes show an aversion and sensitivity to the metal; unable to touch it without being burned or having a severe allergic reaction. The precise reaction, as with much of the disease’s effects, depends on the individual. Suffice to say, that they will avoid the metal at all costs both in their beastial form and in their human one.

Aversion to Fire:

As wolves will stay out of firelight, so too will a lycanthrope. Those infected with lycanthropy will experience a sudden and severe fear of fire; though it can be managed with practice. The fear seems to function the same way as a regular phobia would- able to be cured through exposure and experience in the same manner as well.

Susceptibility to Druidic Influence:

Perhaps the most curious effect of this disease in my opinion is how these creatures can be influenced by druids. An experienced druid, in fact, can force a werewolf back into its human form; and a less experienced one may simply calm the beast and make it stoic and passive. It is this that has led me to my assumption of a druidic relation in their curse. If one wishes a lycanthrope to be caught without harming it- if say, they are a loved one- druidism is a far superior option to silver. Whilst I’ve never seen it, I believe that a lycanthrope may mature and gain control far faster if they have the assistance of a druid;theoretically  mastering their curse in a fraction of the time it would take otherwise.

Passive Changes:

Whilst the most visible and dangerous part of lycanthropes is their transformation, there are other symptoms and benefits that are prevalent even when entirely human in form. Aside from those you may expect in their temper and disposition- territorial behaviour, volatility when threatened, etc.- lycanthropes gain a minor boon in most physical areas. They have shown consistently to be stronger than one would expect; based on size and weight, they have roughly the same natural strength as an orc. Beyond this, all of their senses are enhanced to a minor extent, scent most prominently.

Transformation Ext:

N3JYzai.jpg

The transformation into the lycanthropic beast proper is, as mentioned previously, done in stages. The sketches above demonstrate those stages; each subsequent stage representing a new level of either control or weakness to their curse. One can only gain further transformation through those two means- either gaining more power and control over the internal beast, or surrendering thyself more fully to it.

Consistency of Nature:

As I covered briefly in a previous section, a man and his lycanthropian form are quite closely related. These relations are, as you might expect, very basic. A strong man will become a strong wolf. A smart man may have more control of himself than a daft one when shifted. All the characteristics of the victim are translated in full to their lycanthrope form. Thusly, lycanthropes can vary in ability and temperament just as much as any mortal. It is true, in fact, that the same basic physical traits are reserved too. One's hair color will determine the shade of fur within a few steps of tone, and other such features will also be carried over, if they are quite so visible or severe.

Stimulus:

The transformation process begins with a stimulus. That stimulus can be one of a few things: a severe emotional and instinctive reaction such as fear or anger, direct moonlight, or a high level of concentration. The latter is by far the least common form of transformation-incurring stimulus.

First Stage:

Once a sufficient stimulus has been presented, the transformation begins. The early stages of this process are relatively painless and minor. Rapid hair growth all over the body, accompanied by the warping of facial structure (strengthening of the brow and nose, mild jutting of the jaw), and the growth of sharp canine nails on the hands and feet. Ears will become slightly pointed, one’s teeth- particularly their canines- begin to extend to a point, and the pupils dilate and take on a mild luminescence in their natural color. At this stage the lycanthrope is very much still in control; able to reason and think as they normally would. For what scant few lycanthropes can control their changes, this is the form they prefer to linger in. All of the passive benefits and detriments of lycanthropy are enhanced, though only to a minor extent. The drawback of this is that from here the slope into further transformation is steep- even those in control could be triggered into a further devolvement into beast.

Second Stage:

The second stage is where the transformation becomes particularly unpleasant for both those around the lycanthrope, and the lycanthrope themselves. It is at this stage where bones begin to soften and warp; resulting in a hunched spine and slightly elongated arms. I’ve had the sensation of this process described to me as something akin to having your arms pulled too far behind one’s back. Further hair, nail, and tooth growth will occur, along with a further warping of facial features. Legs begin to become bowed, the foot elongating and shaping itself into the beginnings of a paw. The mind of the lycanthrope will now be notably muddled and unclear, thoughts of hunger and claustrophobia working their way in. There is still a decent level of control here; but judgement is still considerably impaired.

Third Stage:

Generally the point of no-return for a lycanthrope, this stage of the transition is where the change becomes truly agonizing. Skeletal structure is almost entirely warped and molded; the bones no longer softening to warp but instead snapping and remoulding themselves in new shapes. The growth of hair, teeth, and nails continues. Limbs elongate and reform, muscle structure reinforces and becomes much bulkier; all body fat is burned away as energy for the transition. Skin now takes on a hide-like texture and becomes highly resistant to abrasions. Lastly, the spine elongates and forms into a tail. It is common at this point for a lycanthrope to portray great discomfort- often screaming, howling, and collapsing. Mental functions are heavily impaired; instinct mostly taking over. They remain capable of understanding speech and reasoning to a limited extent. This varies from lycan-to-lycan.

Final Stage:

The vivid and disturbing description I’ve received regarding this final stage is the unmistakable sense of being eaten alive. Lycanthropes I’ve spoken with consistently describe it as being devoured by their inner beast; the crunching of their bones, tearing and rapid mending of their flesh, and blinding panic in their mind… I digress. The lycanthrope is now closer to beast than man, in both mind and body. The only mental faculties that are retained here are their deep-rooted emotions and relationships. Note that a fully transformed lycanthrope is not necessarily hostile; it is as a wolf. If it is not hungry, and if it is not threatened, it should leave you be.

Taming of the Beast:

WereWolf_by_R_A_I_N_A_R_T.jpg

The taming of one's temper and impulse is hard enough for those unsullied by the Lycanthropic curse. For a lycanthrope, it is both much harder and much more vital to their survival and that of those around them.

Environment:

The place in which one might train to better control themselves can vary greatly, as you might expect. Of those I've spoken to, I've heard everything from practicing near a loved one whom they believe they will not harm (note: most stories of this end in the loved one being harmed), practicing miles from any city or person, and even practicing whilst surrounded by folk armed with silver. How many of these are true, I do not know and, furthermore, I suspect the ideal environment may vary from lycan-to-lycan, as do many other things.

Limitations of Control

Whilst I have spoken about this beast being tamed, I cannot stress strongly enough that it is very much like taming a true wolf. Regardless of temper, disposition, or training, they can pose a threat if even by accident. The instinct of a lycanthrope- it's reflex- is that of a predator and beast. No matter age, experience, training, or anything else... A lycanthrope is never fully in control. It is a vast spectrum of variables, but at no point on that spectrum does a lycan become truly harmless. Given the right scenario, any lycanthrope can turn against allies and loved ones- be it through fear, anger, surprise, or even a misjudged act of enthusiasm.

OOC Section:

Availability & OOC Limitations:

1. Limited population (Only X alive at one time.)

2. Regulated RP.

3. RP-Only recruitment.

4. Feral brus are regarded as wild animals- only playable by ET / GMs. Do not count toward the population limit.

5. A character losing control to the disease is effectively a perma-kill.

6. More to come...

Actual Origin:

I'm still trying to sort this out. Metzli, aspects, orcish spirits, alchemy... It's all on the table. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Note that a new aengul or daemon is against lore writing rules, so that is not an option. That's my understanding, at least. Currently leaning towards something natural rather their deistic.

FAQ:

Why so much Alliteration? Good question, I don't have an answer. I wrote it that way and like it, so I'm not getting rid of it yet. I may change the intro eventually.

What about furries? If someone doesn't roleplay the curse correctly, the won't have it- that simple.

Can I wiener it / can it wiener me? No. Please leave. Please? SECURITY!

If they aren't necessarily of the Aspects, why can druids influence them? Because regardless of origin, a lycan in its bestial form is an animal- at least in part. Thusly, it is susceptible to druidic control.

To-Do:

1. Conversion from Lycanthropy.

1. Name of new disease.

2. Potential physical variances.

2. Sort out true origin lore.

3. Logistics of contraction.

4. Disease progression.

5. Potential for cure.

6. General editing.

Been tried a thousands times and has never worked.

Personally I don't want it to be implemented either due to the well, less than lore friendly some people would play them.

Been tried a thousands times and has never worked.

Personally I don't want it to be implemented either due to the well, less than lore friendly some people would play them.

Aye, Jistuma has told me it'll almost be insta-denied. I'm okay with that, honestly- I just wanted to give it a go.

As for the 'furry' issue that I imagine you're referring to... Not hard to control, as long as it is kept under a keen eye and regulated carefully. If someone is going to play it wrong, then they won't play it at all.

As for the 'furry' issue that I imagine you're referring to... Not hard to control, as long as it is kept under a keen eye and regulated carefully. If someone is going to play it wrong, then they won't play it at all.

That's what they said about Kharajyr, too.

That's what they said about Kharajyr, too.

Kharajyr was its own race- they needed players or it was pointless. This isn't dependent on that- It's sort of like necromancers, shades, frost witches, ascended, that sort of deal. A focus on quality over quantity, I guess.

I don't see why it should be denied based on a stigma. If it's a balanced being something like this could contribute to some awesome RP. Think of Oren rallying to go on a lycan hunt. Best of luck to you!

Need more high fantasy out there. I personally like it. Thought he stigmata with furries, its idiotic. Not all kha were furries, not all furries were kha. Lycanthropy is also not furry. If anythign it would fall under transformation fetish, which is often seen in the furry fandom, but not exclusive to it; i.e. trannies yo.

Its fairly well written, and i rather like the idea of people having to fear the night a little bit, and the chance of adding it to accusatory remarks alongside witchcraft.

Yeah, lycanthropy would be interesting. +1 10/10 would recommend 

Need more high fantasy out there. I personally like it. Thought he stigmata with furries, its idiotic. Not all kha were furries, not all furries were kha. Lycanthropy is also not furry. If anythign it would fall under transformation fetish, which is often seen in the furry fandom, but not exclusive to it; i.e. trannies yo.

Its fairly well written, and i rather like the idea of people having to fear the night a little bit, and the chance of adding it to accusatory remarks alongside witchcraft.

Furries did 9/11, though.

I don't see why it should be denied based on a stigma. If it's a balanced being something like this could contribute to some awesome RP. Think of Oren rallying to go on a lycan hunt. Best of luck to you!

The reason I was given for it being unlikely to get accepted is a lack of originality. I've got plenty of problems with that statement, but that's what I was told regardless. Thanks for the support!

Honestly, I support it, and I do feel that the idea of denying anything similar to the classic monsters we all love (This specifically) is counterproductive. In fantasy, these monsters are just as relevant as any other original one (i.e frost witches). Players will be players and some will be one(Play as a werewolf) regardless if it is regulated like the dread knights.

But that shouldn't stop the lore being accepted. like i said, players will be players and i'd hate to see another good post get denied for this reason

+1

I've only skimmed because I'm so consumed in all this POWERful forum drama but the ties into Druidism need to be examined, they already have shapeshifting and what I saw of this doesn't seem like it sits quite right and would need a bit of tweaking to make sense with druid lore.

You can look into it yourself or message me some time and I'll see what I can suggest.

The reason I was given for it being unlikely to get accepted is a lack of originality. I've got plenty of problems with that statement, but that's what I was told regardless. Thanks for the support!

I often get irrate when things get keyed due to being "unoriginal."  The basis of LOTC is unoriginal, the beginning races and all that jazz. It's just a starting spot. It's the RP that comes out of it that matters. Would lycans provide a totally new idea? No, but what it could do is provide a type of RP that is new to us which in turn creates new experiences for members of the community and if the people RPing lycans are doing it well then it shouldn't be about where the original story of the lycans came from but the fun the players are having together because of it. 

Sorry for the rant but I will be mighty dissapointed if the LMs deny it due to it's lack of originality. Byrophites were accepted but they aren't original. Check Guild Wars 2. Kharajyr? Try Khajiit. Again, my support goes to anyone who actually puts effort into trying to get things accepted that are genuinely to create new, exciting RP and I think you are. So best of luck to you!

I don't want another thing added to LotC that people can FTB with.