[Addition to Transfig] Arcane Circles

GDPR 014

So, uh... this is my first lore sub ever, wow. Hit me up with that criticism tho. 

Introduction

Through the many worlds and realms the descendants crossed, the use of magic expanded and elaborated. From the time when there were few magics in Aegis, came more- Mental Magic, Transfiguration, Voidal Shifting, Arcanism, Cognatism, Telekinesis- all discovered through later travels. Yet, some things will remain out of sight. Descendents have seen many of these advanced arcane feats performed and spoken about- be it the tower of Rasmot the Mad and its warped world within, The Outvoker’s sheer power, the Mages of Rivel and their skybound city- sadly, mortal minds could not comprehend their actions, or so one may assume. One secret was uncovered, one thing that the void can create, the idea devised by many, but executed by one: A means to heighten one's enchantments.

57eac648777af879384d38d17e96b371.jpg

How was it found though? What caused the strive for its creation? It all started from the Fringe days, when the Wizard’s guild aimed to create a way to give their spells a greater power-- but that was not what the inscriptions had entailed. It was when this traveling wizard found himself gazing ‘pon a gliding tower, wrought by eldritch power. Through a portal, he ascended to the tower’s courtyard, met with the gaze of a violet sashed magi.

There was no violence that day, the magi, revealed as one of the Rivel Mages, spoke peacefully, allowing the wanderer to stand upon his eldritch creation. And so he saw the effect of the inscription which was written on the courtyard; this started a new theory-- one that brought back reminiscence of Ambros’ circle theory. Instead of spells, it fuels only enchantments, but it is unknown why… mayhaps it has something to do with mana? Or strain? It matters not.

Years ‘pon years of study yielded for the pursuit of the newly drafted theory, and with the wish to finish one of the last of Ambros' research, the wanderer continues.

Empowering enchantments through glyphs

• Certain patterns substances that when done correctly spur upon the enchantments power.

• Limited. Usually double that of the original strength.

• If someone tries to exceed the limit and make it more powerful, the symbol would discharge and become effectively useless, restarting the process.

• Different effects- Power, range, duration.

• Not able to be carried around. Can only be written upon a floor, becomes ineffective when portable. (Why? Because the smaller the weaker. To place so many inscriptions on a staff or sword would be too costly and far too weak to where there would hardly be a difference.)

• You’d connect the runes to the enchantment in question via inlaying the same code and then binding it to the enchantment.

• The glyphs can only be specific to one enchantment when made.

• You can only assign one of every glyph per enchantment.

How do you make these inscriptions?

To begin the inscriptions, one must first  carve out the area of enchantment, the length never really is specified, though it can’t be small enough to become portable. Although there are only three forms of the inscriptions, there is no set make, so long as there is a circle and a lining to the center. With that being done, the transfigurationist must line the inscription(s) with focus-crystals due to their effects on the Arcane. The crystals, without being fueled and bound, would act more like a decoration.

Fueling the inscriptions are very strenuous, even for a master alterationist; the mage in question needs to channel their mana into the writings, evoking their will of power, duration or range onto the glyphs. When such is done, binding it to an enchantment begins.

Similar to imbuing an enchantment onto an object, the glyphs need to be imbued- connected to the desired object. The arcanist pulls the aura of enchantment and the aura of the inscription together, and weave them to form a strong bond. The process alone would take many-a-day, to place in the amount of mana into the focus-crystals in one day; it would probably kill someone. If one wishes to do it quickly (still requires an hour or two IC if you have five mages), a group of transfigurationists are required.

How exactly does it do said effects on the enchantments?

To boost the power of enchantments or magic through simple enchanting would require too much mana that the body doesn’t have. The mass of focus crystals acts as a storage of a plethora of arcane energy; thus allowing for power, range, and duration to be possible; with that, the mana seeps into the enchantment in mind, breathing its power by the wizard’s command. When this occurs, the mana imbues itself while going into an overcharge like state.

Multi-inscribing

The art of placing multiple glyphs to empower one enchantment. The process is the same as doing standard inscriptions, however, one will need to make a larger inscription around the initial, and connect it with focus crystals.

Malfunctions

Inscriptions will always have their downsides; if something is flawed, or was given too much energy, the circles will have a discharge.

What is a discharge?

A discharge is when all the stored energy releases from the glyphs, and causes it to become useless. Anything within a foot of the discharge will take a blast of energy to their person, and likely be thrown back. Once the discharge finishes, the mage in question will have to restart the process from the start, for even the focus crystals will burst due to the discharge, and disfigure the inscription.

Pros:

• An addition to enchanting, adding in more RP flavor.

• A means to buff enchantments to some degree, only twice its original power.

• You can probably figure out a way to do some very interesting things.

Cons:

• Inscriptions can only buff the enchantment within the three- Power, Range, Durability.

• Can /only/ work on enchantments.

• Is dangerous if the inscriptions fail.

• Time consuming process, making these inscriptions for combat is highly unlikely.

• The inscriptions are not portable.

Red lines:

• The inscription cannot be portable.

• You can’t use these inscriptions for spells.

• You can’t insta-make an Arcane circle.

This reminded me of blood magic somehow- Creating ritual circles to empower abilities (or something like that).

7 hours ago, ttwesten / Evark Evocress said:

This reminded me of blood magic somehow- Creating ritual circles to empower abilities (or something like that).

I think blood magic doesn't use rituals to empower their voidal prowess. They focus on their genus and use it to overdrive their spells. Any blood mage can correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn, I was actually thinking of writing this as an extension of Blood Magic lore! Ah well, good idea! My only criticism would be the vagueness on what glyphs exist for the circles, and whatnot. I remember, when this was allowed in the non-MAT days, there used to be certain rules to using this, such as triangle patterns do such and such, circles do 'X' thing, and whatnot.

41 minutes ago, Mephistophelian said:

Damn, I was actually thinking of writing this as an extension of Blood Magic lore! Ah well, good idea! My only criticism would be the vagueness on what glyphs exist for the circles, and whatnot. I remember, when this was allowed in the non-MAT days, there used to be certain rules to using this, such as triangle patterns do such and such, circles do 'X' thing, and whatnot.

Hmm, you gave me an idea, thanks Hugo!

Certainly good lore, good to see a bit of history in the mix to see where it came from. Would love to see this accepted. I was doubting the focus crystals' purpose at first, as they could be changed to pretty much anything mana-conducting, like arcaurum dust. But your reply to it was on point, and I see the logic behind them.

Arcaurum just acts as a conducter, focus crystals are conduits and focal points for mana, meaning it has the potential to store a lot of mana and accurately direct it

Thought Sagwort made lore bout this in like anthos and got accepted. I think he taught some of us Icly back then. Not sure though was like two years ago. Atleast that is what the lore is based off of somewhat ryay or nah?

21 minutes ago, Booklight12 said:

Thought Sagwort made lore bout this in like anthos and got accepted. I think he taught some of us Icly back then. Not sure though was like two years ago. Atleast that is what the lore is based off of somewhat ryay or nah?

A bit, yeah, but mostly because of Ambros' circle theory.

This lore has been denied

You are welcome to PM me or any other member of the Lore Team for further information