[Playable] Arcane Familiars - A Mage's Construct

3 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

Good idea! Support from me, for sure :)

+1

I'm still confused as to how an electrical atronach doesn't exist. Bokratz's explanation seems sound until you realise that fire moves just as much as electricity. Either way, I like it!

P.S. What of mix-element atronachs? Like earth+water making a mud atronach?

Fire moves, but it's a lot more stable than electricity while it's being cast.

I'm not an expert on electrical evo lore, but the bolt doesn't really sit idle when its being cast, does it? With fire evo, you can have a fireball sitting above your palm for a while, as long as you have the mana to sustain it. I don't think you can just have a lightning bolt chilling in your hand with electric?

The way lightning works, I don't know how well it can just assume a shape as well as the other listed elements.

Yes bro yes +2

The shamans have their flesh muyakelgs;

The dwarves have their mighty golems;

The druids can go hug an ent

Why not give mages an adition?

13 hours ago, LevitatedPotato said:

If they come. You could play mine! :D

heck yea

What stops this from being used with regular conjuration? Such as creating a permanent fleshy minion?

Why does the enchantment allow for sentient beings capable of following orders? I thought current conjuration enchantments would make mindless creatures or only allow for very linear/singular tasks.

Are the atronachs simply primordial conjurations with extra longevity? For example, could they take many shapes such as an ice bear, etc?

Are you sure this isn't infringing on golem RP?

I'll be happy with this if these questions are adequately answered. :)

3 hours ago, Gladuos said:

What stops this from being used with regular conjuration? Such as creating a permanent fleshy minion?

Why does the enchantment allow for sentient beings capable of following orders? I thought current conjuration enchantments would make mindless creatures or only allow for very linear/singular tasks.

Are the atronachs simply primordial conjurations with extra longevity? For example, could they take many shapes such as an ice bear, etc?

Are you sure this isn't infringing on golem RP?

I'll be happy with this if these questions are adequately answered. :)

1 - Unless I'm mistaken (which I may be - conjuration isn't my area of expertise), 'fleshy' conjurations are quite complex and similar to their natural counterparts. Organs, Blood, the like. An Atronach is simply 'fire' or 'water' etcetera. The core for an Atronach simply conjures the element within the parameters formed by the arcane plates. It wouldn't be able to differentiate between the tissues and materials that make up a more lifelike being.

2 - As I'm currently aware (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), a casted conjuration is controlled by a direct casting link between the creature and its caster. Due to the nature and complexity of this atronach, that direct link is only present in the form of the creator's mana within the managem. It would recognize that creator's instructions, but would need to be verbally commanded. Its intelligence is similar to that of a golem.

3 - As long as the shape has proper arcane plates, and isn't too large to be sustained, you can make an atronach with whatever form you desire. 

4 - I play a golemancer myself, as does Bokratz (the co-writer of this lore). One of the things we focused on was making sure this wasn't just a new way to make golems. The earth atronach is of course the most similar to golems, but overlap as far as strengths and weaknesses go are at a minimum. For one, golems are much, much more physically resilient than any atronach. While an earth atronach is the strongest of the five, any severe blow to its arcane plates will soon render it useless. Golemancy also has a great deal more depth in what you can do with the various types of golems that can be discovered and created. Golemancy has a great deal of depth to it, while Atronachs have more variety.

6 hours ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

1. Elementals seem to be RPed differently from person to person. I personally RP it as conjuring the animal/plant in all the same complexity, except instead of filling such structures with organic material, it's the element. So something like the ice bear has all the same structures and organs as a regular bear, but is entirely made of ice. Although it seems that this doesn't need to be the case. Anyway, I know that normal creatures from conjuration can be created through enchantments. I don't see why a system of enchantments should be confused by this.

2. I'm some-what willing to let this one go on the basis of 'inexplicable golem sentience' logic. Haha

3. Good.

4. If you believe so.

Actually, another question. You say that an atronach would be sustained via a mana obelisk. I'm not very well versed in how a mana obelisk works, but I heard it requires several people to fill. Would the atronach recognize every mage's mana signature within that obelisk and thus listen to each one's commands?

7 hours ago, Gladuos said:

1. Elementals seem to be RPed differently from person to person. I personally RP it as conjuring the animal/plant in all the same complexity, except instead of filling such structures with organic material, it's the element. So something like the ice bear has all the same structures and organs as a regular bear, but is entirely made of ice. Although it seems that this doesn't need to be the case. Anyway, I know that normal creatures from conjuration can be created through enchantments. I don't see why a system of enchantments should be confused by this.

2. I'm some-what willing to let this one go on the basis of 'inexplicable golem sentience' logic. Haha

3. Good.

4. If you believe so.

Actually, another question. You say that an atronach would be sustained via a mana obelisk. I'm not very well versed in how a mana obelisk works, but I heard it requires several people to fill. Would the atronach recognize every mage's mana signature within that obelisk and thus listen to each one's commands?

1 - These are meant to be long-term term, regenerating enchantments. Those enchants might, say 'create a bear', but do they sustain it? If that bear lost a leg, could the enchantment itself begin to heal it? The atronach core resupplies the being's body by resupplying its element over time, without intervention from its creator.

5 - Arguments could be made for both possibilities, and that's something I'd prefer to leave in the hands of the people RPing it.

All right, I may agree that creating a long term morphon conjuration might be too intricate for this system of enchantments, as long as this relies more-so on the idea of the primordials being created with less complexity within its structure.

As for its sentience, the void is a rather paradoxical and often fluctuating plane of infinite potential. Doing the enchantments in this particular way might allow for one of these inexplicable mechanics in which something akin to a thanhium golem's sentience lies.

Mkay, I think I've asked everything for now. I do like the idea of atronachs anyway. Good luck in this being reviewed.

Definitely! Great idea! +1

~*~Accepted~*~

The lore has been accepted under the conditions of the name being changed. The creator has already been contacted.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

Atronach/Familiar Additions:

(Also, can we just change their name to Atronachs now? There really isn’t a point to keep it as Familiars. We were strong armed to change the name to Familiars anyway.)

Original lore: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/141253-playable-arcane-familiars-a-mages-construct/

Note:  ”the destruction or damage of these plates will cause the familiar to become more unstable in its form. A fully formed solid familiar is not are severely affected, but severe damage to the plates of a liquid Familiar can cause the being to burst in an explosion of its element as the core lacks boundaries and drains itself.”  - Original Atronach lore.

New Discoveries and Augmentations  have brought about additions and changes to the Arcane Familiars.  

Lightning:

Beings of storm, their beings put into the fluid section of atronachs (Necrolyte). The first issue was with how much electrical evocation took quite a lot of charge for an enchantment, and such was fixed with simply a enlarging the core, and lining the plates with arcarum for the sole purpose of better conduction and usage. While they still can use a mana obelisk as a means of fuel, this method provides a longer duration for this, and all other atronachs.

The other issue is that the plates would need to be of a different material, for metal will attract electricity towards it, so instead the use of stone was utilized. These creations crafted the first Storm Atronach, rock and arcs its form. These beings have the ability to unleash electrical blasts, charges, sparks, and so on, though by no means quickly- verily, this new Atronach takes time to let rip electrical blasts  and oddly enough, it cannot cast a call down, as though the energy is far too much for it to unleash. What makes this Atronach deadly to any about it, is the issue of when a plate is heavily damaged or destroyed, the electricity goes out of control in that area, spewing forth arcs which could damage both ally and foe.

-Example:

g_Mwh-iyhE2NiWQL-9g54HgYTVPoxwRYSRD_duOSJA9yjz34YeGSm3JCirje0lW13k0tOoWXnX3kiS8_Ei-nS9-X73IHZgVkDsGe8JanrQVMkPzgidEWSVqWlQ-PKW5mh2YfUx2Q

Y0qQOarLUJyKWajuUA4eVVdJ1y00ea7rq4-SmFd6-k0M8frvDn6uXgIS82U0Yh3iiRhQBFnTKReRTQ3l3mA2zQ6JOcopH_S9blYvUjgykK6jgGnWNSbNahFznzT3cdXZOFCHksRo

Pros:

• New type of Atronach, more options for players.

• Can unleash electrical attacks

• Get Necrolyte

Cons:

• Cannot cast call downs. (Basically making an aerial strike with electricity)

• Takes as much time to cast as a normal mage

• Can harm friends and foe if the plates are heavily damaged

• Plates can be damaged.

• Larger ‘core’ which can translate to more viable ways of putting one out of commision

• Can be warded with Alteration and can be taken out by Fi.

• Plates are still vulnerable to attack.  

Redlines:

Cannot be stronger than an adept mage

Cannot cast call downs (lightning strikes)

In the event of plates being heavily damaged or destroyed, the electricity has to go berserk and flow out of the atronach in said area of the damage eventually.

The Atronach still has to adhere to Electrical Evocation rules.

Wind (Also a fluid type Atronach):

Wind Atronachs are an archetype left almost untouched by mages throughout time. The fluid creatures are capable of generating strong winds and gusts that can send man to their knees, proving a valuable asset in the war for tactical superiority; their raw power pales in comparison to the other more battle ready atronachs.

The most harmless of their kind are capable of creating torrents of wind when their plates incur damage. It proves to be an intimidating asset when used in tangent with other atronachs or martial abilities.

Example of an Wind Atronach:

RLx3pcLJ460pAuyVkfTBXVgEq3AC5wjJE3uk4DFhfj0g4G-5yeRMLYKzWtmrSTbFj1_FoBHBVPAeGxvfAw9n73gKP4avnsjFtv4JQlN0-SB7TxGxqogrJWTOXPSHRUNyRc8wckwN

Pros:

• New type of Atronach for players to RP.

• Can use wind related attacks

• Get Necrolyte

Cons:

• Must adhere to Air Evocation rules

• A mass of wind will flow out of the area where the plate is damaged or destroyed.  

• Affected by Fi and Alteration.

• Plates can be damaged by normal weapons.

Redlines:

Has to RP the effects if a plate is heavily damaged or removed.

Must adhere to Air Evocation rules.

Cannot be stronger than an adept mage.

New behavior changes:

Personality complex:

The Atronach is an ethereal creature with an intellect incomparable to that of the descendants races. When conjured from the womb of the Void, they are new to the world; their thoughts muddled and clouded, be it from adolescence and malformation or the effects of their untimely translocation to the physical plane.

Regardless, they bend the knee to their masters; they are magically obliged to bend to the will of their de jure masters and to follow their orders regardless of their opinions on the matter at hand. Some may argue that the deeds they perform serve as a platform from which they derive their morality and conscience on this new and alien world - or that of their masters. Some may even become great contrarians, sarcastic creatures bound to the will of an irate master.

Tl;dr: This is to make Atronachs more playable. The longer an Atronach is alive it gains more sentience, however it will always be bound to the will of their master.

Different variants and aesthetic:

Aesthetic: Floating can be enchanted on an Atronach, though the larger a Atronach the less of the levitation. The maximum sized Atronach can hover one foot, a foot shorter can hover two feet, and so on.

Drone:

Atronachs can come in many shapes and sizes, and these variants are truly a companion. The drone is a smaller Atronach, with arcane energy or any other of the elements inside it. These beings can be given the ability to float (via other enchantments) though they cannot exceed seven to eight feet. Due to its smaller frame, less mana is fueling them causing for them to have weaker spells in comparison to your seasoned wizard. ((These can still be played by other players, but the appeal is likely on the player who has one.))

Example:

MfmFNY9sBEDwi5pGAPU93mVtJmDu0PYIVVY60YYy4-cAzHtwLnGSrpAKF7NxEjs-hFqLnLZkOfK1DNMDROb-Sm9a54ZMLQQyk906b9Vt41epfdoyENGFJ0wz05OwOsH5h237AE0B

Pros:

A smaller variant, able to be carried by players and RP’d as small companions which act as support.

Cons:

Even though it is small, these creatures can easily be hit by weaponry.

Plate damage/destruction causes the same effect.

Spells are generally weaker in comparison to a normal Atronach.

Must adhere to Atronach guidelines and lore. If you are caught power-gaming your Atronach, it will be taken away.

Redlines:

These beings max at the strength of a novice mage.

Must adhere to the lore of their imbued magic.

Must RP the proper effects of damaged plates.

Must adhere to basic atronach guidelines.

Tl;Dr:

ones that the owner player can RP so long as they understand the rules. If they don’t, the atronach gets removed from them. Basically, these are much smaller atronachs that can float at the max of six feet that do weaker spells and act more as a support for a character. Think of them like a weaker conjuration. Although forgers are already able to rp their own atronachs, this provides something that fits more towards being played by the maker, rather than having to emote for another body (which you can still do, this is just easier to rp, but also weaker)

Goliaths:

Of material and arcane, these Atronachs types are even deadlier compared to their brothers, having the prowess of master wizards, and even surpassing them. This strength comes at a cost however, their beings, now massive and visible for attack, are immobile when they call upon the great power within. And once they cast, they must secure themselves to the ground, though it appears most of their creators keep them in designated spot. These variants also appear to heavily rely on their creators, having little to no intelligence. The Goliath is more so employed as a siege weapon, or even wall defenders more so because of the constant need for a massive fuel source, an obelisk. These beings must be near at a mana obelisk at all times.

Example of a Goliath:

GqXAgNo8UdIcdKPoa4jys5DcYTn9IZegyh7sLA0oFGdmtfpMiZv29QhrBZBCcr1NblRtgVoOJWsq0zSLdgtFPDiPJn75rwK9qF2e9QhQe7bUiuORwKvEWVLTWm8hrrppG963O7tw

Pros:

Bigger Atronachs, standing at the maximum height of 9 feet.

Their spells are incredibly powerful, being the equivalent of two master wizards.

Can be used for sieges as both offense and defense.

Cons:

Incredibly slow, only able to move the speed of a Brawn-core golem

Their charge up for spells are slower, taking an average four emotes for a weaker spell (like a volley of magic missiles, although they’d do more damage than a normal volley)

When they cast, they have to become immobile, with the slight exception of re-adjusting aim.

Require their master to give orders or even do anything.

Not playable, unless used for mounted building or area defense, or for sieges.

Vulnerable to strikes, especially now that the frame is larger. If the plates are heavily damaged or destroyed, the berserk effect will be greater.

Need to have a mana obelisk present with, or around them. If it is broken, the construct shuts down.

Timing:

Out of wars, when it is used as area defense or heavy artillery, the typical emotes go and number of casts per obelisk (CPO)

Weaker spells - 4 emotes, 10 CPO

Moderate spells - 6 emotes, 7 CPO

Strong spells - 8 emotes, 5 CPO

Redlines:

-Must adhere to the magic rules

-Cannot be quick.

- Has to roleplay the effects of heavily damaged or destroyed plates.

For Sieges:

Basically, when Goliaths used for sieges, they are immobile and GMs could/will moderate the strength to an amplificare, albeit the blast is a bit  weaker, so it would be somewhere between Rune Cannon and Amplificare. It takes a standard of 5-6 emotes for a blast. For every obelisk, they have five uses. You will need to roll out of 20. Roll effects goes as below:

1. 1-5: Misfire, the energy is dispersed before it could reach its mark, using one of the charges from the obelisk.

2. 6-14: Miss, however the blast is close to its mark.

3. 15+: The blast hits dead on.

If the Obelisk is destroyed the Atronach has to shut down, if the Atronach sustains heavy damage from an enemy siege weapon, the energy within will go berserk, and heavily injure the people operating the Atronach, taking them out of the fight.

Tl;dr:

Big, near immobile Atronachs that need to be near an Obelisk. Their blasts are far stronger than an Atronachs, even greater than a mage’s due to the mass of mana. They are incredibly dumb and require their masters to be near them to give orders.

Amendment:

All Atronachs typically need to be charged after three weeks (unless there is some mana saving thing the creator does on the atronach and even then keep the extended time reasonable). Being charged by the hour is excessive and takes time out of playing one.

One of my favorite magics just got 10x better!