[✗] Cognatism Addition: The Cognate’s Muse

Hydra

Cognatism Addition: The Cognate’s Muse

nexus2cee_Cortana-Thumb.png

(http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/nexus2cee_Cortana-Thumb.png)

Contrasting the drab stone brick walls is a single floating crystal with a magical glow illuminating the scattered parchments above an oak desk. A disheveled mali’aheral madly scribes on the numerous parchments recording his complex arcane theorems. Upon the completion of his notes, he decides to delve deeper, “I just have to go farther, One more, just once more.” delving further into madness in the chance of that final axiom to complete his magnum opus.

Taking a moment to get well adjusted into his chair before he submerges, he places his palms on his forehead and closes his eyes.  After establishing his tether to the void a faint glimmer of arcane energy can be seen surrounding him. As mana pours into his split mind his eyes shine like beacons flickering on and off in rapid succession. The flickering becomes more frequent as his minds begin to accelerate, as they are pushed closer and closer together before splitting.Through the stream of raw data, a glimpse at the spark of creation Khel is bathed in a feeling of euphoria.

That feeling, however, was short-lived as the mind's after briefly splitting collide together, the feeling of godhood that was felt had dissipated leaving a depressing emptiness as fathomless as the void. Khel’s body spasms tossing him to the floor, it simply lays there simply breathing with no sign of consciousness.

Hours go on with no sign of action until deep within his spectator's mind neurons begin to fire, the split mind illuminates his desolate brain with a hub of activity. The spectator's mind then jumps starts kehl's inactive mind by pulsing electrical currents through the lifeless brain. With a deep gasp for air khel reawakened from his comatose state however not all was how it seemed.

2012-09-17_14-46-06_23492.jpg

(http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20120921/2012-09-17_14-46-06_23492.jpg)

“Why hello Khel, I had thought we were goners but it seems we made it through” the woman spoke as if she had known him for quite some time. Khel quite amazed to have actually survived the revelation was surprised and coincidently not thinking too straight either. “Who are you?” khel turns to the metallic humanoid form. The woman replies “I’m you, well a part of you, after the error you made I was given some form of personality.” the metallic form crosses her arms as she gives khel a smile. “Are you…” she cuts him off before he can finish “Yes indeed your assumption is correct, I am in fact your spectator's mind”

--OOC--

This addition to cognatism lore allows for some cognates to develop an assistant personality from their pre-existing spectator's mind. The Muse is active at most times assisting the cognate in all sorts of situations. With this addition the cognate losses most function of his spectator's mind and the use of cognatism, instead relying on his Muse to do it all at the behest of the mage.

The secondary ability of a Muse is can complete task while the mage is unaware to is actions such as Looking for traps, Making visual aids and casting spells(yes this includes spells that fall outside of cognatism spells, although the mage must be able to cast them)

Pro’s

A new way to interface with your spectator's mind

Multitasking

Con’s

The process of acquiring a muse is rather difficult and has a chance of brain death, requiring a t4-5 cognate who had failed a revelation.

The Muse requires the cognate to speak verbally to give it a command, which means a mage will have to speak aloud to a mental construct that no one else can see.

The muse can be finicky and give an abusive cognate false conclusions however, it will never attempt to kill the cognate since it’s dependent on the mage's life to continue living.

The Playability of a Muse

(This part is subject to LT discretion)

While a muse can be Roleplayed by the mage with minimal problems, It could also be played by another player. Allowing for much more creative dialogue and a dynamic personality. They would be the same mental construct that no one else but the cognate can see or hear only visible to the mage. Although it can theoretically take a visible form if the cognate also knows illusion. If played by another player it will effectively work as a ghost for buff purposes.

Since Cognatism seems to be a rather back line magic this would assist greatly in making the Magic Great again! You get my +1 all day everyday!

No one even has cognatism anymore

Because it's close to being literally useless

Your character has all the cool traits, yes but

You just never use it in RP

What I would like to see is a major reforming of the magic. I don't know how, and I can relate to the others who tried to come up with ideas, but it just isn't interesting as a magic, and needs to be changed as a whole, not with small additions like these

4 hours ago, EdgyMagey said:

What I would like to see is a major reforming of the magic. I don't know how, and I can relate to the others who tried to come up with ideas, but it just isn't interesting as a magic, and needs to be changed as a whole, not with small additions like these

Well... Khel has cognitism. ;)

7 hours ago, EdgyMagey said:

Well back in day, I proposed a merge of mental magic and cognatism, so that we didn't have a magic that'd go dead. Then Ski made sure it didn't happen, so you guys need to find another method!

As for the lore; as long as this doesn't allow a Mage to multicast very easily (because they don't need to focus on two magics at the same time), then I like it.

10 hours ago, EdgyMagey said:

Agreed. Cog' was essentially re-written by an LM to make it a glorified mental barrier so people couldn't mental magic that the person was housing a city full of spooks. Unless it's overhauled completely to give it a new purpose, it's going to remain useless as it was with previous iterations. In my opinion, as Hugo said, it should just be merged with mental magic as it serves essentially no purpose. 

That being said, I'm against the muse being played by other players, since that makes no sense and another player would be much slower than what the muse/cog' would actually be capable of.

I agree with the above, it should just be merged with mental magic, honestly. This muse thing does seem like a really neat idea, though. 

This lore has been denied.

One issue is the part where its implied the spectator mind is able to utilise magic, which could mean the potential for multi-casting (which is a no-no anyway), the new mind, and the ability to multi-task in general which gives cognitism just a bit too much.