The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SquirtGun

ET Purge & What's to Come

54 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I’m going to keep this as brief as possible, yet knowing me this will still be three pages long.

The Event Team roster is purged, effective today.

Management has done the best they can, but with the revolving door of directors—the team is in shambles. Instead of applying bandaids, I am restructuring the team from the ground up.

I want to ensure that all members have signed up for their role. The team duties will shift with the overhaul and all members should both be aware of and accept the new set of responsibilities that comes. Thus, the purge serves to shed old mentalities.

Events

Currently, actors are recruited as pseudo freelance agents, per se. It’s an aimless job where they may run events for any group of their choosing. Hence, the idea is, everybody will get an equal number of events. But it doesn’t work this way—bias is an unavoidable quirk. Members have always found a favourite place, and preferred performing events there.

We should not ignore this. In fact, we can use this to our advantage. I will fill roles on the team with respect to the affiliations of each member. LotC is very diverse in distinct role play styles, and each group prefers a different style of events. Some areas take well to magical events, some prefer low-fantasy—the ET responsible for those areas will run events geared for what those players enjoy.

With that said, actors aren’t barred from running events not in their area or from assisting with other events. Here we simply ensure that the community receives consistent events.

Storylines

I’ve noticed a trend of issues that follow storylines done by the ET. Either the target audience does not mesh with the event (Which the above will hopefully address) or the storyline gets dropped as a member becomes inactive. In an attempt to address this, ET members will now be required to create proposals for such events.

This will alleviate numerous issues such as: enabling management to ensure work is being completed, allow fellow members to be aware of events going on in a region, and ultimately allow other members to carry on the story should its teller go inactive.

This proposal will be a concise, informative and resourceful document for all members to utilize when bringing about events to the server.

Player Event Support

One topic I want to give a spotlight to is supporting player made events. Players often establish their own festivals and contests to attract players and bring entertainment to the server. I will be making it a priority to support these types of activities and ensure players receive the assistance they require to produce quality events of their own. More information about this process will be available soon.

ProActive Moderation and Quotas

Previous management teams have moderated in a reactionary manner, allowing for members to become too comfortable and for quality to slip. In an attempt to prevent such, I will be shifting the team to a proactive moderation style.

Managers will be meeting with their members on a bi-weekly basis to review their work together. Criticisms and questions will be discussed, all aiming to better the team as a whole. Should management notice a member slipping, this will be when it will be addressed.

Along with bi-weekly meetings, the team will be held responsible to working towards a ‘quota’. I understand that certain events are longer and require more time than others, making it difficult to give a solid number of what is expected. However, I expect every member to be producing consistent and quality events.

Downsizing and PEX

The team setup was a mess. Telanir found scraps of leftover in-game and forum permissions from members long gone—and not to mention, inactive staff that sat in perpetual hiatus. There is no single person to blame for this—the people that cared did their best but did not have the power or authority to do what had to be done.

Going forward, I was presented an admin directive that the team size should be small and efficient as opposed to oversized and comatose. I am looking for a tight-knit team of skilled and dedicated roleplayers.

This is a game. A volunteer position. I get it, 100%. However, once you step into this team you’re not just meeting my expectations—but the entire server’s. You’re putting a certain number of hours into your staff role each day, so you might as well make them worth your time.

If you’re here to get some PEX, save my time and yours. But if you’re here to improve this server, then I want you on my team.

I believe this is the right path. It’s a tough road to take but there is little time left and my team has to be prepared come the next map.

-Squirt

P.S.  Yep, three pages.

Glorious Overlord Squirtgun blesses us with quality event team

praise be

giphy.gif

Welp.

Zzfhdww.gif

this seems like a terrible idea that will simply lead to et driven cliques forming for certain regions, that will exclude a number of players. not to mention the large drain on et members who have to cater to more people with fewer numbers.

8 minutes ago, SquirtGun said:

Hey All,

I’m going to keep this as brief as possible, yet knowing me this will still be three pages long.

The Event Team roster is purged, effective today.

Management has done the best they can, but with the revolving door of directors—the team is in shambles. Instead of applying bandaids, I am restructuring the team from the ground up.

I want to ensure that all members have signed up for their role. The team duties will shift with the overhaul and all members should both be aware of and accept the new set of responsibilities that comes. Thus, the purge serves to shed old mentalities.

Events

Currently, actors are recruited as pseudo freelance agents, per se. It’s an aimless job where they may run events for any group of their choosing. Hence, the idea is, everybody will get an equal number of events. But it doesn’t work this way—bias is an unavoidable quirk. Members have always found a favourite place, and preferred performing events there.

We should not ignore this. In fact, we can use this to our advantage. I will fill roles on the team with respect to the affiliations of each member. LotC is very diverse in distinct role play styles, and each group prefers a different style of events. Some areas take well to magical events, some prefer low-fantasy—the ET responsible for those areas will run events geared for what those players enjoy.

With that said, actors aren’t barred from running events not in their area or from assisting with other events. Here we simply ensure that the community receives consistent events.

Storylines

I’ve noticed a trend of issues that follow storylines done by the ET. Either the target audience does not mesh with the event (Which the above will hopefully address) or the storyline gets dropped as a member becomes inactive. In an attempt to address this, ET members will now be required to create proposals for such events.

This will alleviate numerous issues such as: enabling management to ensure work is being completed, allow fellow members to be aware of events going on in a region, and ultimately allow other members to carry on the story should its teller go inactive.

This proposal will be a concise, informative and resourceful document for all members to utilize when bringing about events to the server.

Player Event Support

One topic I want to give a spotlight to is supporting player made events. Players often establish their own festivals and contests to attract players and bring entertainment to the server. I will be making it a priority to support these types of activities and ensure players receive the assistance they require to produce quality events of their own. More information about this process will be available soon.

ProActive Moderation and Quotas

Previous management teams have moderated in a reactionary manner, allowing for members to become too comfortable and for quality to slip. In an attempt to prevent such, I will be shifting the team to a proactive moderation style.

Managers will be meeting with their members on a bi-weekly basis to review their work together. Criticisms and questions will be discussed, all aiming to better the team as a whole. Should management notice a member slipping, this will be when it will be addressed.

Along with bi-weekly meetings, the team will be held responsible to working towards a ‘quota’. I understand that certain events are longer and require more time than others, making it difficult to give a solid number of what is expected. However, I expect every member to be producing consistent and quality events.

Downsizing and PEX

The team setup was a mess. Telanir found scraps of leftover in-game and forum permissions from members long gone—and not to mention, inactive staff that sat in perpetual hiatus. There is no single person to blame for this—the people that cared did their best but did not have the power or authority to do what had to be done.

Going forward, I was presented an admin directive that the team size should be small and efficient as opposed to oversized and comatose. I am looking for a tight-knit team of skilled and dedicated roleplayers.

This is a game. A volunteer position. I get it, 100%. However, once you step into this team you’re not just meeting my expectations—but the entire server’s. You’re putting a certain number of hours into your staff role each day, so you might as well make them worth your time.

If you’re here to get some PEX, save my time and yours. But if you’re here to improve this server, then I want you on my team.

I believe this is the right path. It’s a tough road to take but there is little time left and my team has to be prepared come the next map.

-Squirt

P.S.  Yep, three pages.

I'm probably jeopardizing my potential for being accepted by posting this. But there are some clear redlines for running an effective ET you're crossing.

Firstly, this idea of providing playerbases with 'equal' amounts of events. The ET aren't there to spoonfeed nations events, they're simply meant to supplement their roleplay and give some interest. We do not need as a server some poor quality high quantity production line of settlement events, it's just ineffective and promotes the clique mentality that ironically you possess. I think you getting director is a super poor choice and I really don't hope you run the team into the ground with what you're doing.

Secondly, I could never condone event team members posting their storylines. There's a reason that they are kept to the one person, only they will be able to execute the thing to its best ability. It may suck for participants. Though the idea of ensuring quality is ESSENTIAL and forcing ET to show everyone what they're doing in a eventline not only spoils it but allows for other members to bastardise their ideas.

Also, you're doing the biggest REDLINE of all. You do not emphasise some sort of quota system or have actors watched like babies. Arguably the team previously was functioning with decent efficiency by players doing their own thing. Rocky didn't poke his fingers and the ET who thrived, thrived. The ones who didn't obviously were put on the backshelf.

Just tread VERY lightly with what you're doing, if you stuff up the ET and your reputation will be on the line as a laughing stock.

they didn't even accept my other application yet, that's how short my time was on the ET lol

I honestly worry about an exception being made for you regarding being a NL. That was a well thought out and executed rule that prevents bias in the staff. However, for whatever reason, you are being allowed to keep your status as NL and remain a director of arguably one of the most important teams on the server. I really, really worry about your ability to avoid or somehow responsibly manage bias. You mentioned in the Sutican discord "embracing bias", which is absolutely absurd.  What is the point of a rule like that if exceptions are just going to be made. You also purged dedicated, hard working members of the ET. Some of them with seniority over you. 

I do hope you do well. But this entire situation makes me uneasy. 

large.gif

I fear that there will be an inevitable time to come where you will have to choose between your nation or the Event Team. It's exceptionally difficult to manage both, believe me. Freema himself struggled immensely with maintaining both the Azdrazi and Event Team. It was literal suffering - and that was on a smaller scale. I can only wish you luck with it though.

I should also add on. I don't agree with the fact that you have been allowed to keep Nation Leader status alongside ET Director. We've had many good GMs be forced to step down or relinquish NL status. This isn't fair on them, or anyone in the future that the rule is enforced upon.

giphy.gif

I usually try to stay out of staff drama-type situations, but this seems like a poorly thought out plan.  Coming from someone who didn't see any "bias" in the amount of events a group got, this seems unneeded.  I recently had a very pleasant experience with the ET, trying to find someone to handle a Frost Witch event line.  I've never had an issue requesting events for my groups.  You obviously know more than I do, but from an outside view, there has to be another motive.

7 minutes ago, Doomstadt said:

I honestly worry about an exception being made for you regarding being a NL. What is the point of a rule like that if exceptions are just going to be made. You mentioned in the Sutican discord "embracing bias", which is absolutely absurd. You also purged dedicated, hard working members of the ET. Some of them with seniority over you. 

Also, this.

I hope it goes well, I just have doubts.

reached out to the ET for a hunting event for weeks

received no responses

this purge needed to happen :)

Having heard about your....squid? event among other things....I genuinely worry for the future of the ET. Also, I don't really care for the fact they made an exception for you as a nation leader to get this position. Don't much care for your vision for the ET either, wish arockstar or someone would come back and be director. Unfortunate.