Guide to Fair Combat Roleplay

Gladuos

Keen and insightful writing that I encourage people take to heart. Reading this, I actually learned something with the bolded names, I love it!

Okay I read it and I think this is amazing! I always loved the DnD system of things and felt it would be good on LOTC despite the completely different environment, kudos to this!

Wonderful! The magic system you use is ingenious, and I'll be adapting it shortly for my students and I. The bolded names is quite a good idea, at that!

>When the wizard reaches critical mass at 20 emotes charging a spell (don't do this btw)

53 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

>When the wizard reaches critical mass at 20 emotes charging a spell (don't do this btw)

but i will

Well said, Gladuos. 

Just now, McThornz said:

Nicely written, Gladuos.

You have learned well, my son.

I think that a disservice was done not recommending rolls in certain situations. 90% of fights are RPed well until you get to that critical moment where one player has to arbitrarily decide whether or not they're going to lose the fight because the situation is 100% a judgement call and the outcome isn't obvious. Let's say there are two Humans, both of relatively similar build, and they are aware of each others presence with their blades out. One emotes swinging at the other. How is the other player supposed to react? IRL this **** is done in a second and is often a matter of luck. That is a situation where rolls should be utilized. There should be a rolling guide too either as a separate thread or in this one tbh. Another example is any ranged attacks. If it's at a reasonable distance, they should be rolled always, as how else are you supposed to determine it. There are many other examples, Magic being a good one too. IK you said you like to roll in certain situations, but tbh, rolling is the only way to do it correctly most times when you're faced with something that can't be logically decided.

All in all, well written though.

Like I said, players may use rolling for said instances where the outcome is uncertain. However, I'd recommend just compromising and flowing with the roleplay over rolling if you can help it. Roleplay > Rollplay.

34 minutes ago, ChonGojDragonski said:

I think that a disservice was done not recommending rolls in certain situations. 90% of fights are RPed well until you get to that critical moment where one player has to arbitrarily decide whether or not they're going to lose the fight because the situation is 100% a judgement call and the outcome isn't obvious. 

There should be a rolling guide too either as a separate thread or in this one tbh. 

IK you said you like to roll in certain situations, but tbh, rolling is the only way to do it correctly most times when you're faced with something that can't be logically decided.

All in all, well written though.

25 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Like I said, players may use rolling for said instances where the outcome is uncertain. However, I'd recommend just compromising and flowing with the roleplay over rolling if you can help it. Roleplay > Rollplay.

I really like the clarity that this thread was explained. I like combat rp though I usually avoid it due to chaos of people wanting to win no matter what and powergaming becomes involved. (Usually due to newer players, sorry to say) I am a huge advocate of courtesy rp though. Like the thread stated, we're all here to have fun and sometimes that meams being a graceful loser. 

That being said, I do agree that there should be a rolling system guide made for those that prefer the rolling system, (even though I am not one of those rpers due to over reliance) In certain situations, like long range attacks that could have multiple factors affecting a shot, rolling would be beneficial. But I also only think this should be utilized if all or a majority of the rpers involved cant agree to common sense rp.

For example, a low rank military person is trying to shoot someone running away from them with a bow and arrow. There are factors like the speed the person is running, environmental factors and the skill of the attacker. If the rpers cant agree on the courtesy rp (i call that common sense rp) then rolling would even out the chances and no one would he to blame besides luck of the roll. 

Now this could introduce issues though due to the fact that if there is just a common roll would that enable a basic archer to get a perfect shot due to a nat 20 roll (if that is how you guys use the roll system, I havent actually used it yet...) Or will he have a slight handicap where he gets a -3 (or something to that affect) to his roll due to inexperience. 

This can be the pro and con of rolls but they have to be explained well. Which is why a guide would be cool! 

Sorry for the long winded book. Ive had good and bad experiences with rolling but never had a bad experience with common sense rp. But both are important to rp in their own ways. ??

42 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

However, I'd recommend just compromising and flowing with the roleplay over rolling if you can help it. Roleplay > Rollplay.

IK this isn't the point of the thread, but that's a poor recommendation. You said it yourself, your method requires compromise. Literally two seconds to type /roll 20, see the roll, and act accordingly. Often times after the first hit is made, the rest becomes self explanatory. Hard to swing a sword/block with an injured arm, hard to run with an injured leg, etc.

2 minutes ago, ChonGojDragonski said:

IK this isn't the point of the thread, but that's a poor recommendation. You said it yourself, your method requires compromise. Literally two seconds to type /roll 20, see the roll, and act accordingly. Often times after the first hit is made, the rest becomes self explanatory. Hard to swing a sword/block with an injured arm, hard to run with an injured leg, etc.

Agree to disagree then, I don't prefer rolling for every interaction. Combat can be done by common sense and chatting instead, which I find a lot more authentic personally.