[✗] [Playable Creatures] Magic Lore - Necromancy

JustMeMorgan

I have some thoughts about this. This might be a bit wordy. I also probably have no right to bring up necromancy thoughts given who I am. If you feel that way feel free to ignore, I really don’t care I’m just bored.

Why combat? Necromancy should be entirely based around the concept of raising dead. Lesser undead should be unable to disobey their direct creators, while greater could do as they please(or be threatened into following orders who knows. Idea is a free conscious). There should be more types of undead, with lesser/greater forms. A few examples:

Skeleton->Lich. Skeletons just being.. skeletons. Not super strong/speedy/magic reliant. Skeletons are in most fantasy tropes, why not LOTC? I don’t get it they’re literally cooler than ghouls/zombies.

Ghoul->Ghast. Why call them ghouls? Theyre basically zombies. Anyways, ghasts as in the dnd type ghasts. Basically boss ghouls.

Shadow->Wraith. Basically lesser specters who are still harmed to a degree by normal weapons before ascending to wraithdom. However that’s done. Imo no creature including wraiths should ever be entirely immune to physical non-gold damage but that’s just me.

Maybe a few more idk. I don’t mind there being plenty of undead types as long as it makes sense. Who the frick frack cares if there’s only a few and it’s mostly unused? Fewer means rarer and that’s not a bad thing necessarily. In addition, the greater versions of any of these should be capable with maybe 2 of them to create a lesser one. 3 of the greater might be able to promote the lesser to a greater themselves after some prerequisites or whatever idk.

Lastly, I’d point out that magic can go shove off. I’d give each greater one it’s own list of abilities/spells.

That’s just my personal thoughts on the workings of any necromancy type deal I guess. I can imagine most people disagree with me, maybe some agree who knows.

Edit: Also Necromancy as a whole I think should be an event deal. Events with necro cults/big ass rituals you dont need to stress over because events? Hell yeah. But I also understand the kind of want for spook rp so I guess thatll never happen.

Edited by Fury_Fire

It’s mostly just niches my good man @Fury_Fire you’re okay to have your own opinion but it’s mostly groups wanting to play their niche; demons, ghosts,  blood, all these niches are satisfied right now except undead so I’m trying to fill this niche for myself and many likeminded individuals

I hope you can understand that although you can see it as a “event only magic” where could the line be drawn in that, all dark magics? All voidal magics and then deity magics?

@Tato I mean if you want to be a bit more specific so I can switch it up a little that’d be nice

And like, as I said I am not and have never been a necro or dark creature, I was simply writing it with their ideas and stuff, I did say earlier that proof-reading is pretty helpful and if people could specify which areas, that’d be nice 

Now that I’ve had some time to completely read over the lore and evaluate everything you’ve submitted here I’m going to live some actual feedback and hopefully it will be of some use to you! As someone who’s had Necromancy in the past and on my most recent character got to roleplay it often and really get a strong grasp for the magic I comment this as someone who has a positive view on the lore and someone who actively knows what the magic “is supposed” to feel like. I hope what I state below is helpful!

Firstly, I personally do not agree with Necromancy only costing one magic slot for the practitioners. The amount of utility and combative spells in this lore is well balance for Necromancy as a whole here on LoTC, but in comparison to other magics who get a lot less for a lot more – I would suggest increasing it to three slots. 

Secondly, I like the return of drains and making them useful once more. However, I would be sure to keep them balanced moving forward or perhaps clarify them here further to make sure “deathdrains” do not make a return. Drains should be a tool for combat to a Necromancer, but should not be a quick shot fall back spell like it had been for many years in prior renditions of this lore. 

Mostly I would increase the cap and then I wouldn’t see the problem with this lore moving forward. I didn’t catch if there was still clotting, and if there is I would highly suggest removing that. Feel free to quote reply me if this lore contains clotting and if you have any questions for me or want suggestions for it in my own personal opinion.

Great work Morgan, quite impressed with you and all things aside if the changes above are made then I would be more than happy to give this a +1.

Never gonna add clotting so no worries on that part

On the topic of spell slots: I may increase it to two at most, as I feel 3 slots is quite extensive.

@LorelessPuddleMancer not sure if I just missed it in the read, but do the transcendents feel things like anger, sadness, joy, etc etc? I know previously, ghouls n’ such were void of emotion.

Edited by LeoRabbit99

Oh, I’ll add that. They would feel some emotions ye

This lore has been denied as per this thread: click me. 2 weeks were given to reformat and correct the submission to match the current criteria, which were not done.

If you believe this is a mistake (as this was a big sweep, yours may have been overlooked), please contact me over the forums here: click me.