[✓] [Alchemy] Wyvurn's Gift

Sorcerio

Wyvurn's Gift

“The powers of flame are mighty, ranging anywhere from providing heat to a frozen caravan to burning an entire city to the ground. I myself have encountered it many times in very unpleasant situations, leading me to pursue a potential means of protection from its flaming fury.”

“As I was traveling, searching for a solution, I came across the old tome of an ancient alchemist who had long since passed. He didn’t seem to need it anymore, so I took it from him. Unfortunately, most of what was written had either been destroyed or stolen. Luckily for me, I was able to salvage some information from the lost book, and one particular page had just the solution I was looking for – no pun intended. By piecing together a certain alchemical formula from the book, I discovered a way to lower one’s external body temperature just enough to make them more resistant to fire without freezing them to death. Soon I found that my finding were indeed true, at the expense of the mice in my garden. They do make lovely testing subjects, I’ll admit.”

However, while I’ve only tested my formula on animal matter, I have no doubt it should have the same effect on descendants. Obviously I didn’t try it on myself, no. It’s far too risky. But I managed to find a local boy in town and pay him money to be my guinea pig. The tests went splendidly, and the boy lived. I guess there is a such thing as a win-win situation.” 

- From the notes of Jessira Duilaine

Overview

The Wyvurn's Gift is a simpler alchemical concoction, allowing oneself to become more resistant to heat and flame upon consumption. Often this is used when one wishes to protect themselves in a battle involving flames, or simply to show off to friends. Regardless, it’s a useful tool for any alchemist to have in their arsenal.

Effects

Once ingested, the Wyvurn's Gift typically takes a little while before taking full effect, meaning that one cannot simply drink and gain resistance instantly. Time is needed for the substance to circulate through ones blood, chilling the skin just enough to make it more resistant to fire and heat. By no means does this make one immune to fire completely, though it does permit oneself greater protection when in contact with such elements for a brief amount of time. 

A common side effect is that the consumer’s skin will become cold and chilled to the touch, along with making the drinker themselves uncomfortably cold. Overconsumption will yield frostbite and eventual death as well. 

Effect Mechanics

Spoiler

WG grants a person temporary resistance from heat and flame, though does not grant permanent immunity. It will make the consumer’s skin cold to the touch, making them uncomfortably cold in return. Overconsumption of this substance will lead to frostbite and eventual death.

Guidelines and Redlines:

• WG does not grant complete immunity to fire, only protecting one against minor forms of burns. First degree burns are nullified while second degree burns become first.
    • WG does not protect from disintegration, third degree burns, and charring.
    • Those who make contact with fire while under the effects of WG will still feel the amount of pain a normal person would feel from fire, albeit lower in severity.
  • The effects of this potion only protect one against physical flame and voidal flame.
  • WG protects against flame and heat, nothing else. It does not make one’s skin tougher in any way, only cooler.
  • WG does not grant one any boons against cold itself, only against heat and flame.
  • Anyone who consumes WG will have very cold skin so long as the effects are applied. They will also feel uncomfortably cold.
  • Drinking more than two of these connections in the span of three OOC hours will cause one to die of frostbite. 

Preparation

Like any alchemical concoction, Wyvurn's Gift requires a certain method of creation and the necessary ingredients in order to be made into what it is. The process is often a lengthy one, requiring one to obtain the necessary materials and then create the concoction itself. The process and materials for such are listed below.

Ingredients

Spoiler

Distilled Water x1

Water (Adaptability) x2

Water (Cold) x2

Earth (Resilience) x1

Frozen Hair x1

[!] Frozen hair - refers to a single thread of completely frozen hair without any blemishes or disformations.

[!] The distilled water should be cold. If it is room temperature, lukewarm, or warm, the recipe will not work. 

Process

Spoiler

This entire process must take place in a cold or frozen environment in order for it to work.

1. Take the distilled water and slowly mix it in with with Cold symbols until it is uniform all throughout. Both the container and mixing tool must be completely cleaned to avoid contamination of the concoction. The water should have a teal - light blue tint to it after.
  2. Mix in the Resilience symbol with a cold metal stirring tool. This should turn the liquid a somewhat violet color.
  3. Let the brew sit packed in the snow for at least thirty OOC minutes. By the time this is finished, the brew should be a dull grey color.
  4. After the former step is finished, mix in the Adaptability symbols and the Frozen Hair at the same time. How quickly they are done within each other is key, having them done at the same time providing the best outcome. This will turn the brew back to its light blue color, making it now ready for use.

Creation Mechanics

Spoiler

Typically each step will require 1-2 emotes, excluding the third step, which requires thirty OOC minutes. Due to the amount of time and the environment required for such a concoction, it is impossible to make in the middle of combat even with a long preparation time.

Distribution Mechanics

Spoiler

WG will always take the form of a light blue liquid, should it have been made correctly. To apply its effects to a person, it must be willingly consumed. The effects themselves do not occur immediately, taking a minimum of five minutes before the effects are of any use. WG will also only last for up to twenty OOC minutes before the effects disperse. Applying WG to the skin or forcibly applying it to another will not yield any effects. 

Redlines and Guidelines:

• WG is only to be distributed in the form of a drinkable liquid.
  • WG requires five OOC minutes before taking effect after consumption. Afterwards, it lasts up to twenty OOC minutes.
  • One cannot apply WG in any method other than drinking, nor force another person to drink it against their will.

OOC Explanation

As I mentioned in my other alchemical submission, I wanted to bring more alchemy into LOTC now that the system has been reworked. While my Gargoyle’s Blight submission was a bit more complex, I sought to bring a more simple addition that would allow for some more dynamic alchemist combat roleplay without causing direct harm.

Spoiler

Credit for this Lore

Pundimonium - Author

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.

This lore is pending, you will be sent a forum PM in the next 24 hours with a list of issues that need to be fixed.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.