[✓] [Magic Lore] - Voidal Rituals

Mr. Etan

0bb11cb53944fe72e3536ed8201fc14c.png

Before the foundation of coupling was created those who brought order to the chaos of the void had to handle their work alone. Throughout the centuries magic has been practiced, the art of coming together to do amazing feats of thaumaturgy has been refined into the art known today as Voidal Rituals.

Overview

Voidal Ritual is the art of combining the power of multiple mages to achieve great efforts and feats. These can range from conjuring a very powerful spell to strike down large and devastating creatures to forging powerful artifacts and tools. This lore is intended to give mages the freedom of doing powerful free form spells and enchantments with moderate control by the Story Team.

• Voidal Rituals do not take up a magic slot.
  • Voidal Rituals can be done by [2] or more characters with a valid [MA] in voidal magic.
  • Combative Voidal Rituals require pre-approval from the LT or from the ET overseeing an event in order to work.

Learning and Ritual Process

Any mage can band together with another to achieve a great feat. Rituals have been common knowledge for centuries and once shown how to participate in one a mage may lead or participate in these rituals.

There are two types of Rituals. You have Empowerment which is the act of doing a ritual to create a raw and primal spell of great power which requires some basic reagents. Then there is Infusion which is the act of doing a ritual to forge a powerful item or relic using a tool known as an ‘Infusion Altar’.

Ritual Spells

Abbreviations:
[N] - Non Combative
[C] - Combative

Empowerment Ritual [C] - A ritual in which a group of magi set up a ritual circle and come together to cast a powerful spell. This ritual requires one leader who will forge the spell and must know the respective magic that the spell is born from and at least one assistant who will lend their mana to the spell. There is no limit to how many may participate in an Empowerment Ritual.

Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • The mages must form a circle on the ground using powder crafted from raw focus crystals. This can either be with the rough powder itself or with a stick of chalk made from the powder.

• The leader of the ritual stands in the center of the ritual circle while the participants must touch the circle with both hands. Once the leader begins to cast any participants connected to the void will begin to have their mana tugged from them and weaved into the leader's spell.

• The Ritual Circle will glow brightly as a mix of the aura colors presented by the participants. This is the tell for the ritual and must be emoted.

• The spell will take double the emote length that a normal version of it would take.

• The spell must be approved by the Story Team: either by the Event Member running the event or by the Lore Sect as a whole.

• If any of the participants break their focus on the ritual (sudden disconnection to the void) or the ritual circle is broken by any means the ritual will fail. If the ritual is half way through the half-made spell will explode outward harming the participants, the damage depends on the affinity of the spell. (Up to the discretion of the ritual leader)

Red Lines:

Spoiler
  • You must have at least 1 leader and 1 participant in the ritual.

• You must draw a proper ritual circle. If the circle is broken by any means the ritual will fail.

• All participants and the ritual leader must have valid MAs in voidal magic. If their connection to the void is broken the ritual will fail.

• The leader of an Empowerment Ritual cannot be an Arcane Scion, as in doing so, they would be forcibly dropped from the feat due to the overarching amount of mana that they have to concentrate for the procedure. 

• The spell being created must be approved by the Store Team: Either the Event Team member running the event or the Lore Sect as a whole. The leader must have a valid MA related to the spell being created.

• In the event a ritual fails if the casters are half way through the required emotes the spell will explode outward harming the participants, the damage depends on the affinity of the spell. (Up to the discretion of the ritual leader)

Infusion Ritual [N] - A ritual in which a group of magi set up an infusion altar and come together to create a powerful relic. This ritual requires one leader who will forge the magic that will be imbued into the relic and one participant who will lend their mana to the spell. There is no limit to how many may participate in an Infusion Ritual. Of course since this is a form of Enchanting the leader of the ritual must be able to Enchant.

Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • The mages must use an infusion altar. This is a stone structure anyone can make. The center point is a pillar that will hold the object, and the outside must have a permanent circle engraved into the store around it, this circle should be filled with foci crystal powder before each ritual.

• The leader of the ritual stands in the center of the altar by the object while the participants must touch the engraved circle with both hands. Once the leader begins to cast any participants connected to the void will begin to have their mana tugged from them and weaved into the leader's spell.

• The Ritual Circle around the altar will glow brightly as a mix of the aura colors presented by the participants. This is the tell for the ritual and must be emoted.

• If any of the participants break their focus on the ritual (sudden disconnection to the void) or the ritual circle is broken by any means the ritual will fail. If the ritual is half way through the half-made spell will explode outward harming the participants, the damage depends on the affinity of the spell. (Up to the discretion of the ritual leader)

• The object created can be anything voidally related however a [MArT] must be created so the object can be approved by the Story Team. Until it is approved the object will simply pulsate with mage that is trying to ‘settle down’ in the object. Basically, this is a way to support whimsical MArTs for voidal magic.

Red Lines:

Spoiler
  • You must have at least 1 leader and 1 participant in the ritual.

• You must use a proper infusion altar. If the alter is broken by any means the ritual will fail.

• All participants and the ritual leader must have valid MAs in voidal magic. If their connection to the void is broken the ritual will fail.

• The leader of an Infusion Ritual cannot be an Arcane Scion, as in doing so, they would be forcibly dropped from the feat due to the overarching amount of mana that they have to concentrate for the procedure. 

• The leader of an Infusion Ritual must have a valid [MA] in Transfiguration and the character must have knowledge of Enchanting for the ritual to work.

• In the event a ritual fails if the casters are half way through the required emotes the spell will explode outward harming the participants, the damage depends on the affinity of the spell. (Up to the discretion of the ritual leader)

Purpose

Circling Magic was a very fun way for mages to work together however the freedom of the abilities went unchecked and a lot of mages, yes including myself, abused it to one shot event creatures, so forth. I am reintroducing it to work together with the story team for freedom but with the approval of the ST running the event or the ST team. Adding in the Infusion Ritual also allows mages to create interesting items using existing voidal lore and the MArT system.

Citations

Spoiler

Cool concept and a serviceable rewrite for Coupling; however, I think you should elaborate more on what an “infusion altar” is. Additionally, specify that empowerment rituals are incapable of being used outside of events in the red-lines. Overall, I like it.

+1

EDIT: I think that the empowerment ritual should be usable in non-combative practices, such as Voidal Feeling or Transmutation. That shouldn’t be too difficult to implement, right?

2 hours ago, Etan said:

Infusion Ritual

Grrr stinky Void Mages stealing Druidic nomenclature grr

Kinda cool bro but can i invent milkmancy with it?

1 minute ago, Ug said:

Yeah

5 minutes ago, Ug said:

conj + water evo dual casting equal.... milkmancy??

3 minutes ago, Tato said:

I adore the concept of cabalistic magi abusing the Void to tear forth from the Otherwhere alien inventions and sorcery. I think the intent of this piece would align in a similar manner but I think you’re missing some parts and hitting other parts which shouldn't be there. It feels the parts lacking aren’t the parts that should lack to be ambiguous for creativity.

ill explain more of my fuckass opinion if u want to pm me

also i ******* hate your formatting

but its ok

Probably seems its lacking because I left it vague to let people do whatever they really want with it since it’ll need Lore / ET approval to do. If you leave feedback I promise I wont default dance you like last time.

6 hours ago, HotArcanismBeam said:

specify that empowerment rituals are incapable of being used outside of events in the red-lines.

Can be used outside of events with LT approval. (Sieges, etc)

I really enjoy this piece! I think it would give the server a good place of explanation for magics and a cool chance of voidal mages to work together. It creates a type of group roleplay, for either large events or simply for battles / item craft. +1

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.