Eulogy of Malitera

Saulite

Eulogy of Malitera

For Malitera, the lustrous maiden with whom the Creator blessed me in friendship, this day is lost. Lost to the mystery of death, returning to honor the Sacrifice of the Creator. I repent to He who hath builded and fortified creation. I repent to her who gifted me the knowledge of the Wine of Sacrament and had brought me out from the machinations of those powers that be. 

Beloved Malitera, to you this day dear ally I shall recite the narrative of our friendship, the blessing you have bestowed upon me. I fear it will soon come to pass that the false child of your husband shall bring death upon me as he did you and as his ‘father’ attempted. Perhaps it will soon come that I shall join you in this death that they call martyrdom. As I learned from thee, “we must forgive those who seek hurt,” I make no confession of regret or appeals to strike down those who plot against me. Instead, I go willingly to them not forsaking my own defense, aiding in my demise, but accepting the path which the Creator foreordained. 

Twas in the waning days of the suntide, before the withering autumn fell. You shone like the light of the season.  You had returned from the Temple in Alduun with the news of your conception. The joy in your eyes manifested to form a beaming appearance. At that time, I had persisted in the iniquity of my father, that which brought about the ruin of Joren. Yet he shared your joy and welcomed the promise of twins. You spoke with the flame of wisdom and passion, a light which inspired you to persist in your faith even though you knew well of our curse. We talked for days then weeks, and as the days grew shorter and the bitter cold fell only to be replaced by a new heat- we continued on in our merriment. You were a joy and I was forever grateful that my brother took you to be his, casting out the adulterous Tara and lessening the role of her bastard. 

Fruit was plentiful and there were plenty of fruitful happenings. I had continued in the campaigns that I was instructed in continuing and was obedient to those powers that be. Yet, your influence began to take hold of me. When they learned that my brother and I were beginning to open our hearts to conversion, one descended at once to reprove me. “Harren,” said Artifai,  “you are chosen for the vocation of your father. Come, and receive great power from our font. Venture now to the Grotto of Gamesh and perform your duty as a Son of Spirit.” Refusing them proved impossible. Their persistence knew no end. They had admonished me day by day for accepting love among my flock. “Here, you have disobeyed us, acting against the pact of your father. How shall the tribe of Man be controlled by us if you muddle them!?” You know that which they promised me, how their temptations were ever so appealing. Even when I gave in, submitting to venture with Artifai you rescued me, bringing me to partake of the Wine of Sacrament once more with the other Sons of Flesh. 

If only Joren repented. If only they had not devised their scheme, promising him whatever it was which would turn brother against brother. With his loss, we began to see the severity of my father’s pact. When Evaristus and Clement were born, we knew it would soon come that we would be hunted. I stand resolute in my promise to defend them dear Malitera to my very last hour, to instruct them in the true worship of our Creator, and to lead them as great Kings. I beg and I plead thee this question oh extinguished maiden, can it be that we are engaged in a battle that cannot be won?

Edited by Saulite

Father Gawain Briarwood read the eulogy to himself and stuffed it into his pocket for safe-keeping.

"Round up all the copies and burn them-" he told to the acolytes in a whisper-like tone around him after they all read out the eulogy to themselves, "burn them all."

Edited by JoanOfArc