Dreams of Fire and War

Jentos

“I remember asking a wise man, once . . . 'Why do Men fear the dark?' . . . 'Because darkness' he told me, 'is ignorance made visible.' 'And do Men despise ignorance?' I asked. 'No,' he said, 'they prize it above all things--all things!--but only so long as it remains invisible.” 

― R. Scott Bakker, The Judging Eye

Spoiler

The room was silent, it basked in its own darkness. It was a place, seeming out of place, out of time. A room of dark, carved rock. A room whose floor was a great bed of ash.

And within - at its center, sitting cross-legged was a figure as dark as the stone of the great pillars, carved from stone and fire, brimstone and ash, the nephilim, the azdrazi, the serpent layed there. 

Dressed in rags, but straight, and beautiful in his ebon features. The thing stood like a statue carved of smooth obsidian. And above it’s brow - there stood a third eye. The thing burned upon its brow, smoldered like a great sorcerous brand. And it saw, it peered through rock and earth, through heaven and hell

And there, in those deep places, in that pit where the serpent lay, it dreamed a dream of ash and smoke, salvation, of fire and war. 

There he wondered how the people he had sworn to protect, to save, if the descendants great and small, were willing to truly save the World. He wondered if the many-races would have the strength to save their world, if they were willing to pay the ultimate price to save this earth. 

Fire and war. 

This was the price. 

Change. 

Revolution. 

Wrath. 

This was the ultimate price, to save the World from itself.

Onyx; coal-black features, wrought from the inner flame of a dragonkin pranced in joyous contemplation of the upcoming events. The visions, dreams of his three-eyed sibling, nightmares to those unknown.

Ashes on the fire.