[✗] Sensory Illusion Clarifications / Additions

E__V__O

Sensory Illusion Clarifications / Additions

Footnote:

This piece of lore a clarification on a certain aspect within sensory illusion that isn’t delved into much on the main lore post. When sharing ideas for this to be a feat, it was found that it will just be clarified further in the lore of illusion. To the additions, they’ll be outlined with two asterisks on either side that further help complement the clarifications.

*Reaching*

As with illusion, you must connect to the mind of the individual before inducing any spell effects upon the player. The reaching spell would have the illusionist reach out to the mind of their intended target, upon connection they’ll be able to interweave any illusionist spell on this list; the caveat is; the caster requires physical contact.

Once a successful connection has been done, the caster’s mana forms an interlocking tether between the two sharing information. The information shared can be the exchange of emotions, thoughts, and the player’s inner voice. You may not pick and choose as both players exchange the information equally.

Void Connection --> Charge x1 --> Mind connection.

Redlines

• You can only connect and maintain the connection of reaching while physical contact remains. Unable to utilise tools such as casting implements, familiars or arcane focus to act as the physical ‘bond’.
  • You’re able to react and move as you would while casting a spell.
  • You cannot connect to the minds of non-superior souls.
  • The exchange of emotions, thoughts and the player’s inner voice, is telepathy between the two minds. You both will hear such in each other's heads there is no way to prevent this while connected.
  • This in no way shows memories or images.
  • Cannot be done on someone unconscious/asleep.
  • Is enchantable between two attuned enchantments, only transfers thoughts within #q range of 5 blocks while held. Counts as a combat enchantment.
  • Learnt at T4.
  • Can be done in combat.

Perception Illusionary Spells

An illusionist would be able to create a false perception across one’s senses warping fake imagery to implant it on someone's mind. The ability is not delving into a mind and finding memories to alter, rather if the illusionist knows key details of an event that occurred in the player’s life you may attempt to change the perception of it if not too extreme. As an example, if a player had a memory of the Rex of Krugmar, the illusionist may channel mana through the player and rework the perception of the rex being a brown-skinned Uruk to blue-skinned. The perception only remains until the mana flow ends or the player’s mind has fully come to the realisation of the memory perception was in fact, true. As the player believes the memory perception, it would trickle down to all other memories, slowly replacing the Uruks colour. The perception only breaks if the illusionist made something completely unbelievable, the players self-discovery of putting the pieces of memory back together and or seeing the real thing. In the case of the Uruks skin colour, if made purple it can be unbelievable thus breaking the illusion. Self-discovery can be searching through your own memories before they have been rewritten, breaking the perception, and or lastly seeing the Rex themselves being brown-skinned. These factors are all up to the player being targetted and not up to the illusionist.

To first practice perception illusionary spells upon, the illusionist needs to know events that preceded the player. They’re incapable of searching through or seeing memories by themselves, if the player gives incredible details of an event, an item or painting the illusionist may put a perception illusion upon the player for the given detail. It is up to the player to decide if the illusion is too extreme or something that would not be possible. For example, A player’s fiance, they’ve known for years having significant portions changed about them; an illusion over the eye colour is possible but not greater details such as a different race, blonde hair when they have a darker pigment, ext.

Performing the spell requires the initial *reaching* spell due to the complexity of memory perception. The process being;

Reaching --> Charge x2 --> Cast.

Casting in this sense means the beginning of your memory perception illusionary spells. It requires constant connection and mana flow.

Redlines

• Requires the spell *reaching* to be done before creating this perception.
  • Cannot read/see memories.
  • Cannot create a memory perception without preceded knowledge of events that happened on the character by being present and or details were given.
  • Cannot force the player to believe the memory perception illusion unless it was not too significant in the characters life, even so, self-discovery that is out of your control can change the memory back.
  • Anything too extreme will or impossible much like illusion will break.
  • The perception of being a success doesn’t always mean it’ll trickle down to all other memories, this is an up-to-the player choice being illusioned.
  • To mend the illusionist, they’re able to bind perception illusions on memories to enchantments.
  • Learnt at T4.
  • Cannot be done in combat.

*Memory Restoration*

With the illusionist able to coerce an illusionary memory, the same should be able to pull a memory back. Drawing on the mana of the player through the exchange of information an illusionist can find altered memories done through memory perception illusions, leaving stagnated mana imprints on the individual. The caster through *reaching* is further able to delve deeper into the mind and help expend more mana to collectively bring in the mana and restore damaged memories, unbeknownst to the player. In addition, the illusionist would be able to aid in the restoration of memories not done through illusion perception spells, utilising mana to reconstruct a broken memory.

Performing the spell requires the initial ‘*reaching*’ spell due to the complexity of memory restoration. The process being;

Reaching --> Charge x3 --> Cast.

Casting in this sense means the beginning of your memory restoration spell. It requires constant connection and mana flow.

Redlines:

• Requires the spell *reaching* to be done before creating restoration.
  • A players memory restoration process takes longer the more time has passed, up to six additional emotes which will leave the caster unable to cast for 1 IRL Day. Additional are increased per week of memory restored.
  • Can bring back memories lost through memory loss diseases or illusion memory perception. This is all up to the player being cast on.
  • Learnt at T4.

*Pensieve*

The design of a pensive is already possible by creating illusionary images of a perceived event created by illusion. This is to give clarity and understanding to that concept by adding in a bit more flavour which is why it is listed as a new spell. 

Pensieve is an ability illusionists can create through circling with a player, channelling through the information crossing tether by reaching and turning it into a visual sensory illusion cast through the illusionist. This is a way to play out a thematic event that occurred on the player around them in a broadcast, either perceived in the minds of both, or around them both so others may see the perceived events. In addition if circled/co-enchanted with a transfigurationist you may ‘entrap’ these perceived illusionary memories to be viewed on touch or looking within the jar. 

Performing the spell requires the initial *reaching* spell due to the complexity of Pensieve. The process being;

Reaching --> Charge x2 --> Cast.

Casting in this sense means the beginning of the pensive spell. It requires constant connection and mana flow.

Redlines:

• Requires the spell *reaching* to be done before utilising pensive.
  • The caster cannot force the perceived memories to be shown, rather up to the player. The memory will be how the player has perceived it so it may be distorted up to the player's request.
  • Learnt at T5.

Purpose:

Although I believe illusion could do with a rewrite, having a clarification on an ability (Perception Illusion spells) and having non-combat spells to complement the magic further allows a nice flow to open up illusion to other aspects adorned within it and not just an illusionary smokebomb, snare, pain. I am fully writing this to assist in cooporating roleplay between multiple parties and different options that the magic can move within, without breaking too much of what it can be.

I do understand some 'mental magic' elements may be seen/present in the piece of lore and although i'm not trying to bring that magic back or have plans to do so. Hopefully I don't cross the boundaries too far within this lore. I am open to opinions and feedback to see how to improve this piece. Thank you.

Credits:

- Ttwesten / Jenny_Bobbs - Writer, ideas.

- Samsan99 - Writer, ideas.

- Tojo - Edits, grammar fix.

- Insert name here for people missed when asking for initial feedback.

Based.  +1

Sensory Illusion needed germaneness in lieu of current lore changes. 

Not the largest fan of illusion magic crossing into the realm of mental magic, at least how it is written here. Mental magic with memory shenanigans should be a class of magic of its own considering how much potent such a theme for a magic has. (Jedi kind trick moment- memory modifications, dream spells, etc)

I take credit over Evo 

24 minutes ago, King_Kunuk said:

Not the largest fan of illusion magic crossing into the realm of mental magic, at least how it is written here. Mental magic with memory shenanigans should be a class of magic of its own considering how much potent such a theme for a magic has. (Jedi kind trick moment- memory modifications, dream spells, etc)

The 'biggest' mental magic aspect here is creating perception of memories which can theorically be done already, which has been in discussion within the illusionist magic chat. This was to put clarifications on such with added complementry abilities. Mental magic hasn't been a thing for a series of years so the addition isn't out out of the hand for illusion magic to have some 'mental magic themes'. Added the abilities listed here fit non-combat and don't delve into obtaining information, rather masking over it which fits the theme of illusion, whereas mental magic at least in past iterations have done the opposite. 

Nah. For once, I agree with Kunuk. This seems a lot like mental magic was back in the day, other than it requiring touch. I personally don't think mental magic has any place on the server, but that's a different topic. The current state of Illusion magic, being as loosely written as it is, already allows the caster to do a lot and does not, in my opinion, require any more spells.

1 hour ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

and having non-combat spells to complement the magic further allows a nice flow to open up illusion to other aspects adorned within it and not just an illusionary smokebomb, snare, pain.

In addition to that, just because a spell is written as a combat spell does not mean it should solely be used in combat. I'd honestly say this is shallow view of the possible applications of illusion as a magic in its current state.

2 minutes ago, Polysemic said:

Nah. For once, I agree with Kunuk. This seems a lot like mental magic was back in the day, other than it requiring touch. I personally don't think mental magic has any place on the server, but that's a different topic. The current state of Illusion magic, being as loosely written as it is, already allows the caster to do a lot and does not, in my opinion, require any more spells.

Hey Poly, thanks for the reply, I do agree with the current state of illusion being loosely written should be mediated, that is why I wanted to expand on the general idea on the spell of false images such so written as 'perception illusionary spells'. To the mental aspect it of the magic which I assume to be... the other spells? Specifically 'Reaching' and 'Memory Restoration'. That was included to flavour the additions, though I am willing to remove the 'memory restortion' part as it does follow close to mental magic. The spell 'Pensive' can already be done but added further clarification/points.

6 minutes ago, Polysemic said:

In addition to that, just because a spell is written as a combat spell does not mean it should solely be used in combat. I'd honestly say this is shallow view of the possible applications of illusion as a magic in its current state.

The reason I mentioned combat in the prior comment was due to that is how mental magic functioned, at the current time and where this differs. If Kunuk wishes to include combat applications in his mental magic rewrite he is fully able to without crossing over the piece here.

If you want to discuss further I am open in PM's so we don't go back and forth on the subject and get an idea on improvements to the overall piece of lore.

This lore has been denied. 

Mental magic is a concept the ST has deemed unworkable for the server and is something we won't consider any further. With so, this piece will be automatically denied as mental magic (or anything similar to so) will not be put into mag. Apologies, take it easy.