just saying

HeyitsNano

I just thought about this and thought to share 

In most cases, I don’t like being live persuaded or dissuaded about what I’m doing in roleplay OOCly, .

when you play a character, some role players do what the character they built wants to do or would do given the situation. it’s not solely based on OOC beliefs

I’m playing a role, not myself

unfortunately, i feel like this is a rather large issue on the server and I think a part of that comes from varying perspectives on what people think lotc is for rp

too many people regard it as a faction rpg server, or mmo rpg where you're the main character, and take things personal when faced with conflict from people that treat the server more like an actual roleplay server where players work together to build a dynamic narrative.  a good way to try and prepare for this stuff is communicating with others oocly and forming a narrative you both enjoy

but at the end of the day, better to avoid those that give you shit for trying to make a fun story because there's better spaces and friend groups elsewhere.  I hope you're not being given a lot of trouble for whatever RP you're trying to do

Anyone who starts messaging you mid-roleplay trying to convince you to do or not do something in character clearly has no regard for RP and is just in it to win. What “winning” this game looks like, I don’t know.

Keep playing the characters you wanna play and doing the roleplay you wanna do. This game is supposed to be fun, and imo fun comes when things are unpredictable and you haven’t contrived something OOC or planned every action beforehand in Discord messages. It just happens naturally, it’s dynamic, and you roll with the punches.

Hope you can continue doing what you want to do, just ignore the OOC and like UnBaed said, if OOC keeps seeping into RP, find other people to RP with. <3

short n sweet

1 hour ago, UnBaed said:

a good way to try and prepare for this stuff is communicating with others oocly and forming a narrative you both enjoy

and I strongly agree with this, even if a lot of players might not share the same sentiment

in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with reaching out to your RP partner OOCly (be it your ally, enemy, or someone you want to roleplay with), brainstorming potential avenues of roleplay in order to form a long-lasting narrative. ofc this is highly circumstantial and isn't meant to excuse metagaming or other malicious acts that would require that sort of development to unfold RPly. I mean this in a purely non-problematic manner OOCly

the beauty of LOTC is its practically limitless storytelling, and I think this is something a lot of players underestimate

like unbaed and toffee said, i hope things are going well for you. if you're unhappy with your current community, it's best to move on

public announcement

I’m not complaining, and I don’t really pay too much mind to it when it happens. in many cases, it’s fine, and I do the same to my friends and whoever I roleplay with. but there does come time when a lot of meta becomes the entire roleplay. 

Just some food for thought 

sometimes I start playing a character, then I black out, and when I wake up after disconnecting from LOTC, I have no idea what happened. People yell at me OOC for things I did, but it wasn't me - it was actually my character. Am I possessed? Should I seek help?

If I hate you irply, doesn't mean I hate you oocly. I try to communicate that to the best of my ability, and I find it's good to just establish the difference to the other party involved

A bit late to this, but I completely agree with what you're saying- a character you play is just that- a character! If people take things that happened in-character out-of-character, it just makes the experience worse for everyone. Just because your character killed someone in roleplay doesn't make you a serial killer in real life- all that needs to happen is for all parties to be respectful during the roleplay and all agree that there is a story being told. Everyone on this server should be mature enough to understand that stories are what the point of LOTC truly is. Some of the best roleplay I've had came from when my character wasn't the paragon of virtue in any given situation, or on the receiving end of a consequence they had coming for years.

The fact is, too many people attribute the idea of 'winning' or 'losing' to the stories that are created due to the fact that the storytelling is being based within a game, and are unwilling to take actions their own characters might., and if there was a larger consensus that the point of LOTC was a storytelling device, I feel like it would make roleplay more enjoyable for everyone.