Two Swords

TWO SWORDS

HnMgXPHUyzpkBsYSFMEeRBgEvZU313ROd6SGLMHXrMBAznBB9JDNdKCD8ONFcA3UbBHLmlKOaqbUKTnMyHX8L6tdApvQoy9uxW2bYcqk4yxGkVYoZtukx7RPhLrbJBDSunZNCtpV

Spoiler

Previous Posts:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

He was unsure as to how, but he found himself amidst many gazes. His eyelids laid open more than usual, his heart pumping like it never had before, not even during his first quest. A figure - a tall one - stood by his side, fully armored in darkened Haeseni steel. They had both waited patiently, and their turn had finally come.

Leon’s eyes were glued to the ground, unwilling to peer at any of the many gazes directed at him, he simply waited in his own confusion. “What is happening?” he asked himself “Why did papa bring us here?” he thought long and hard, and he had all the time to. His usual nervousness was nothing compared to this, it was as if time had stopped, and he was given all the time in the world to deduce what was about to happen.

A dim voice echoed about him. It was The voice, the one that the many around him had gathered to hear. It spoke plainly, yet boldly. “Is that my favorite holyman I see behind vy?” asked the voice, yet Leon did not flinch or depart his gaze from the decorated, clean carpets of the courtroom. The speaker wasn’t talking to him anyway. “ … Because knight's are holy,” he coughed, laid-back and relaxed as ever. Still, his voice and authority were taken with any kind of regard but a light one. It echoed once again, filling the courtroom, making it sound as if there were no side-talks within the hall. “Welcome, Guardian.”

The figure standing by Leon replied, it was his father’s familiar, deep voice “Your majesty,” the knight dipped his head into a low nod of respect. He then spoke loudly, it was now his voice that overtook the petty conversations of the court “My son, Leon-” he laid a gauntleted hand upon the boy's shoulder “I see in him a passion- determination to pursue knighthood like no other.” 

He spoke the truth, his mind recalling the boy's unforeseen participation in his own knight's quest… “He seeks to follow the path of his forefathers- Ser Brandt, Ser Cedric, and Ser Reinhardt.” he failed to mention his own name amongst the listed. Casting a short glance to the ground, he paused then, before returning his gaze to Sigismund with determination shining in his eyes. It was awfully similar to Leon’s own determined eyes, the boy had taken after his old man “..Should it please you, I ask that you take Leon as your page- to be taught both the stories and the realities of knighthood.”

At that, silence fell around the courtroom. The atmosphere became numb, and no other voices emitted. Or at least so it seemed to Leon. He was overwhelmed by the surprise. So much so that he was unsure of what to do. His eyes widened further, his thoughts raced faster, overtaking his own mind. His posture remained somewhat crouched, as it always did. On his back laid a sheathed blade. It was forged by Ser Reinhardt himself, intended to be yielded single-handedly. Yet, in comparison to Leon, it appeared similar to a claymore, spanning but nearly fifteen centimeters shorter than the Barclay’s height. He was still unused to it, only yielding it for a few moments whilst they waited in line before the King.

“Leon?” mused the king above the podium, his eyes sliding to the boy. “Hm. Let's have a good look at vy, then. Stand straight.”

Unsure as he was, further confusion washed over Leon, but he was able to snap out of his rushing thoughts. He eyed his father with furrowed, indifferent, yet somehow proud eyes, and then looked towards the king, his head finally tilting up. His pupils dilated as he stared at Sigismund , unsure of what to do. He cleared his throat, and straightened his posture, following orders.

“Hm. And what makes vy think vy are up for this role, Leon?” the king spoke plainly.

The Reinmaren lad looked Sigismund straight in the eyes for the first time. Shy and indifferent of a boy as he was, he understood what he had to do. He'd then answer the question instantly, almost as if having prepared for it somehow. However, as he spoke, the words were all in Waldenian “I have been told of many knights and have seen many knights, Your Majesty! I have wanted to become one for two years now… and…” he hesitated somewhat “Some days ago I went on my first knightly quest!” he uttered rather proudly, a smirk creeping on his face. His gaze glided to Emil then, who appeared to have forgotten of his son’s inability to communicate in Common. So, he translated word for word.

Sigismund’s eyes narrowed on Emil. “ … Is there a reason he does niet speak Common?”

“..Both of my children are rather.. Antisocial, your majesty. All the books he reads about knights are in Waldenian.” He admits, dipping his head a bit in regret. Behind him, Leon could hear Konstanz Barclay’s voice mumble “They're being translated!”

The King then proceeded “I know some Waldenian, but I canniet have a page I canniet speak to plainly. “Does he know common or Naumariav?”

“He understands Common well enough, and he was able to communicate just fine with Dame Emelya and Dame Marie.” Once again, Leon was reminded of his first quest. Yet another smile creeped on his face, easing him up somehow

Sigismund’s eyes rolled, and he squatted down to be closer to an eye level with Leon, staring at the lad as he in turn stared back “Can vy answer me vyrself, Leon?”

The lad huffed a bit at that before nodding “Y-yes” he said with as much of a Waldenian accent as it got… he seemed to understand just fine.

“ … Dobry. With confidence, my lord. Do niet stutter. Now. Do vy have vyr own sword, Leon?”

Leon’s smirk grew even bolder as he nodded singularly towards the King. He then turned to unsheathe the sword resting on his back, yielding it with both hands “My papa…” he paused a bit, trying hard to remember the Common words so as to communicate. “My papa gave it to me!” by the accent alone, anyone could tell Common wasn’t his first language by a long shot.

At that, another voice emerged, a higher pitched, yet pleasant one. The new knighted dame in front of Leon spoke, it was Emelya KortrevichVyr Majesty? Ea actually had an idea for such, if vy would allow.” both Leon’s, Emil’s and Sigismund’s eyes averted towards her.

“Hm? What is it, Dame?”

“Well, where Lord Leon is standing now, ea was gifted a glimmering sword of starsteel that carried eam through mea training as a squire. Ea thought that maybe ea should pass it on to Lord Leon, as he reminds eam quite a lot of mea younger self, both his determination, and nervousness.” the Dame chuckled slightly. In her words, especially the last ones, Leon was caught off guard. He had held himself rather confidently for the last few minutes, but then it was almost as if his shyness kicked in once more. He fought it, and kept his posture despite his lack of confidence. 

Dod_AoKQorVgChCAXHP65wocFyQ-3uRuZKZDbOHH1NHEdVv_GUlBpQvuIaL7u4YvDS3u8Xym7jVbvx-1GwXs6Yh1pe-7iatTXm9QIsHkxYS-Ojt3ji4mHHEmMeY3cnOy2UcPUseQ

Spoiler

He smiled at Emelya, and dipped his head “Ich will yield it like der best knight there is!” he replied rather abruptly in an unkempt Common.

“A generous gift for a boy so young.” spoke Sigismund, and Leon seemed to agree. Surprise after surprise, today was in no way an ordinary day for the youth. Actually, none of the last few days had been.

Nevertheless, he smiled once more, his posture somewhat more confident now. Perhaps so from Sigismund’s orders, or maybe because he was enjoying himself…

“Two swords now, lad- wield them well.” whispered the newly-knighted Emil, his lips forming a smile much similar to that of his son, who now sheathed the sword he was given beforehand.

“Pass it to him, then. I want to see how he holds it.” ordered the Royal atop the high podium. “Vy can tell a great deal about someone from the way they hold a sword.” So the Dame obliged. She unsheathed the sword. It was beautiful. The metal that composed the blade was nothing like Leon had ever seen, or ever imagined seeing. It had a bright tint to it, the little light that came from the windows behind Sigismund reflected in a rather unusual manner. It was Lunarite. Leon grabbed it with both hands, it was shorter than the sword his father had given him, definitely more convenient for a child his age to yield.

If anyone were to pay close attention to the kid, it'd be obvious that he wasn't feeling his best. His legs shook very lightly, though he extended his hand rather stiffly, and nodded once again as he received the pretty blade. The King watched closely.

“Raise it on high, let the sunlight touch it's blade.” spoke the Kortrevich dame softly with a gentle smile, tranquil smile.

As Emelya let go of the sword, it recoiled down as it landed on Leon’s hand. It was quite heavier than he anticipated, but then he picked it back up. There was nothing special about his handling. It was neither good nor bad, neither talented nor hopeless. He simply kept it up, like anyone would. He then huffed, and attempted to do as he was told. Despite his blooming determination, the lad lacked in physical strength, his age was not an advantage to him, especially now. He simply raised it up, the motion was shaky, barely anything that anyone would call 'exquisite' about it. Yielding it with both hands, the sword appeared to be just about taller than half the boy’s height. Strong rays of the sunlight penetrating through the complex windows behind the podium touched it. So the blade reflected back a dim silvery glow, one so pretty that some would describe it as majestic.

Sigismund peered intently, seeing the way he held it with his shaking legs and nerves. The middle-aged king appeared to see through the lad's lacking abilities. His lips seemed to be forcing themselves off a smirk. With years of experience and wisdom on his shoulders, the King appeared to have been satisfied by the showcase of his young noble. As Leon held the sword up, the Royal gave a satisfied nod. “Very well. Vy start tomorrow.”

The young noble inhaled greatly. The sound of his teeth gritting just before Sigismund spoke. He smiled then, a smile so wide even his mother hadn't seen it before. In his youthful excitement, the lad offered to bring the sword down in a childish slash “I… I will nicht dissapoint!”

Amongst the gathered, a few head bobs were shared in synchronization as the lot looked towards the boy. Ser Reinhardt, standing by Sigismund’s side, let a smile appear on his face as he glanced at his grandson. His son did the same, and so did the Kortrevich dame.

“We will see, then,” Sigismund said firmly, and gave one last stern nod, his gaze watchful and wise as ever.

“Thank you, Dame” Leon bowed his head ahead towards Emelya, still holding the sword with one hand, and placed a fist on his heart, pounding it singularly as he uttered the famous Naumariav words even he knew… the accent however, was anything but Naumariav 

“KRUSAE ZWY KONGZEM!”

Spoiler

Big thanks to @Xarkly, @Liokv,@jaymock7, and @Capt_Chief26for the RP provided on this one. It's not really as epic of a post but this bit felt really satisfying to RP out. Looking forward to more quality times :)

Ser Reinhardt stood upon the elevated dias next to his liege lord, Koenig Sigismund III in his usual stance of guarding the King during public events. From his elevated position he could see the entirety of the throne room, but this is not what drew his attention at this moment. The Knight Paramount’s gaze followed that of his king, focused on the small child before the throne. He studied the child, his grandson, wondering if this boy would be able to continue the legacy of mighty knights that have been a staple of his line for generations. With his visor open the majority of court was able to see his face, but the knight had disciplined himself and steeled his countenance not betraying a single hint of his emotion. When he watched Leon get handed the sword from the newly minted dame and then ordered to lift the blade, the Knight Paramount betrayed his discipline and allowed a faint smile to tug at the corners of his mouth when the child hoisted the weapon above himself. “Hmmm, perhaps the child does have what ist takes to wear the black…perhaps he will uphold the legacy of our line. With Gott’s grace ich will still be here to see him kneel and take the oath for himself…” he thought to himself, feeling proud of the boy.