[✗] [Alchemy Addition] Saint Caius' Shield

Islamadon

[T3] ST. CAIUS’ SHIELD [RARE]

9tbiTcz.png SHcXpht.png9tbiTcz.png

BACKGROUND

Due to the need to combat the ever increasing influx of curses within their community, Lector Alchemists conceptualized and developed St. Caius’ Shield as a means to provide an alternative and practical method for remedying supernatural afflictions. 

RECIPE

BASE: Liquid Mana + Shredded Gold Leaf

• Aether | Purity [x3]
    Aether | Vigour [x3]

• Aether | Clarity [x3]

• Aether | Peace [x2]

CREATION

1. One must first shred up a leaf of aurum, and add it thoroughly to a measure of liquid essence.

2. Once the base is prepared, the Alchemist must add a measure of three “Aether | Purity” symbols, mix thoroughly, and allow it to rest for the duration of a narrative day. This will cause the mixture to become a dull orange, regardless of the liquid mana’s original hue.

3. Now that hue of orange, the Alchemist must then mix three “Aether | Clarity” symbols into the concoction at a simmering low heat. This will brighten the mixture considerably, altering its hue to that of gold.

4. Lastly, the Alchemist will add a measure of two “Aether | Peace” symbols and allow the mixture to bask in the light of the sun from dawn until dusk. By the end, the golden liquid would begin to refract with a radiant sparkle.

5. Once the potion is fabricated, it may be combined with sawdust to make incense, wax to create a candle or other aesthetic tools that would facilitate the burning the of the potion. For example, one could even utilize a lamp burner or a censer.

EFFECTS

When set ablaze, this golden elixir's fumes would aid a descendant in purging the effects of Minor Hexes, Cursed Idols, Shaman Hexes that affect Personality/Emotion, and phantom Possession/Gheistreach. Saint Caius’ Shield’s slow-burn effects necessitate a build up of approximately one narrative hour or [10] emotes in order to become potent and will encompass an area of 3x3 blocks. The consumer, should they suffer from these maladies, would begin to sweat furiously as they develop symptoms of the “Westerlandic Flu”; this includes a high fever, nausea and a frailness as their body is placed in a state of immunal fight for the duration of that hour.

REDLINES

• St. Caius’ Shield will ONLY combat the effects of Cursed Idols [Naztherak] and Minor Hexes [Mysticism], Shamanist Hexes that affect Personality/Emotion, and Posession/Geistreach by Phantoms.

• St. Caius’ Shield is a cure, not a vaccine. This is to say that this cure resets an individual to “zero”, and will not protect them from further cursing.

• St. Caius’ Shield will NOT affect the curse of the Corcitură, soul-burn inflicted by Malflame and nor will it affect the traits of Cursed Children.

• St. Caius' Shield will not mend the warping of a soul from a curse tethered to a CA of any type. This is to say that if a CA requires a blackmarking of their soul to be made or operate, this potion will NOT counteract their own corruption.

• St. Caius’ Shield will NOT overpower a curse inflicted by contact or proximity should the consumer retain said contact or proximity. This is to say that although curses may be remedied, the user will only be cured so long as they do not remain under the influence of an object or substance.

• St. Caius’ Shield’s “Westerlandic Flu” will NOT take effect on those who are not experiencing the malady of a curse or necromantic disease. This means that one cannot use this potion to induce fever or frailness in others as a means of poisoning.

• St. Caius’s Shield’s “Westerlandic Flu” will cause an individual to become too weak to fight adequately, becoming significantly weaker and sickly. This is to say that one should not powergame through the illness if consumed during combat.

• Although this potion is intended to be burned when combined with other substances, the substance itself is not easily combustible and requires an implement.

• This potion is a T3 potion and its recipe is considered RARE knowledge.

• This potion's effects may be determined by the presiding ET in an event setting, should a custom curse be implemented.

• This potion requires ST approval.

[OOC] PURPOSE

In recent weeks the Lector player group has encountered numerous cursed individuals who were unable to be helped despite their requests. It forced us to send for Valannor’s paladin constantly which not only delayed RP but inconvenienced him. With regards to the potion itself, I took inspiration from the curse purging precedent of Muritor Elixir and the ability for alchemy to thwart ghostly abilities in Sigismund’s Candles. Likewise, Spoon’s recent Null Arcana addition utilized Liquid Mana to disrupt magic, which I think can be made consistent here. I also added “Necromantic Diseases” as an ailment that can be cured since Necromancy lore mentions alchemical or homeopathic cures but does not specify which would do the job.

Further, while reading and transcribing cursed items into the Lore Pixel Project, I realized that Paladins truly maintain a monopoly on curse purging on this server. Templars lack this capability and there are currently no Clerics or Ascended to aid in this capacity either. I believe that this addition would allow other player bases, including ones who engage in spook RP, to remedy curses without relying on Paladins.

CHANGELOG
- Added Redline: St. Caius' Shield will not mend the warping of a soul from a curse tethered to a CA of any type. This is to say that if a CA requires a blackmarking of their soul to be made or operate, this potion will NOT counteract their own corruption.
- St. Caius’ Shield will ONLY combat the effects of Cursed Idols [Naztherak] and Minor Hexes [Mysticism], Shamanist Hexes that affect Personality/Emotion, and Posession/Geistreach by Phantoms.
- Added Redline: This potion's effects may be determined by the presiding ET in an event setting, should a custom curse be implemented.

- Added a requirement of "Aether | Vigour x3" [32 Redstone] to the recipe.

- This recipe now requires ST approval.

- Modified the description to reflect the redlines.

- Added Redline: Although this potion is intended to be burned when combined with other substances, the substance itself is not easily combustible and requires an implement.
- Modified the creation and description to include a combination with flammable implements in order to cause the potion to release potent fumes rather than requiring bodily consumption.

11 minutes ago, Islamadon said:

Dark Shamans

Dark shamans aren't a thing anymore (not yet at least), and their curses, along with witchdoctor curses are also inflicted upon the soul like malflame and would need some other means of removing the curse, as they persist beyond death/mundane means.

12 minutes ago, Panashea said:

-snip-

Purely hypothetical and also irrelevant; Corcitura's capacity for affecting the soul transforms  the blueprint of the soul itself and the same goes with malflame. With what you say Dark Shaman curses act as a  parasite  attachment to the soul and still would  be subject to the effects of  he potion.

Malflame is soul-damage and a direct edit. Witch-doctor curses don't do the same thing.

9 minutes ago, Panashea said:

I utilized Dargrind as a point of reference for the hex aspect and whether it should even be referenced; he said that it should not affect contact hexes but should affect soul hexes since the spirit of the piece of is to dislodge Paladin monopoly on curse purging. Figured Malflame was more esoteric in that it was akin to a genuine wound of the soul rather than a curse. Ultimately, though, I see your point. Will confer with others again for that minor revision.

Seems incredibly OP for a potion to be able to cure all of that, it makes the consequences of trying to hunt dark mages, or having conflict with them basically null. It's well written, but I don't like the implications of a "**** you" cure to all soul damage, physical damage, etc caused by dmagic - doesn't really make sense.

7 minutes ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Seems incredibly OP for a potion to be able to cure all of that, it makes the consequences of trying to hunt dark mages, or having conflict with them basically null. It's well written, but I don't like the implications of a "**** you" cure to all soul damage, physical damage, etc caused by dmagic - doesn't really make sense.

>paladinism

1 minute ago, Tentoa said:

>paladinism

Paladinism requires devotion to a God, not having a corrupted soul, etc

Alchemy requires you to have hands and a brain

8 minutes ago, TreeSmoothie said:

There are over 6 kinds of curse across the dark magics; and those who have moral reason IC (Canonists) or are enemies with them (Heralds/Spooks) Have no means to combat them. If there are 5 active paladins around  at any given  time but more and more alchemists then it falls on  5  people  to do  very repetitive curse purging RP as well.

We saw this with corcitura that having only one avenue of  curing created such a backlog and workload  that the paladin playerbase and those unaffiliated with them got plain sick of dealing with it on an OOC level.

As  someone who played a paladin: It would get very annoying to stop my RP  and  walk somewhere every day to do 3 repetitive curse-purging emotes; effectively making my warrior of the light  a holy pez dispenser. This also enables witchy-type alchemists to offer up cures in exchange for favor as well as more scientific alchemists/doctor archetypes to do the same.

Furthermore if you're worried about something you inflict on other players without their consent majority of the time being too easy to cure IRP, maybe you're more concerned with t he power you have over their characters ooc than constructing a narrative  that's fun.

fair enough but i also dont think this should combat soul-related curses/diseases at all, how does drinking a potion cleanse the soul

totally fw it if it were just necro since that's a more physical ailment via lifeforce afaik

27 minutes ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Between Paladins that date vampires and others who commission Rokodra from Azdrazi, I would hardly say that Paladins necessitate an adherance to their own code and deity to be potent. Muritor's Elixir is an alchemy potion that has set a precedent for curing curses that affect the soul. Most curses, to my knowledge, do not linger beyond CRP anyhow. This potion does not heal you, and would simply kick out any lingering curse that a person might suffer from.  You touch a curse again, you get cursed again. Even the Necromantic diseases I described say that they can be cured with alchemy and simple "homeopathic" treatments that can be as simple as rubbing sage on a wound. I would argue that there is no such thing as "consequence" for curses currently anyhow since anyone can just walk to the vale or Urguan for an hour until a Paladin comes and help you.

9 minutes ago, KILL_MAPS said:

fair enough but i also dont think this should combat soul-related curses/diseases at all, how does drinking a potion cleanse the soul

totally fw it if it were just necro since that's a more physical ailment via lifeforce afaik

A good question since this will inevitably come up. Muritor's Elixir set the precedent for curing a curse of the soul, and this potion would not simply a drink or vitamin supplement. Its base necessitates Liquid Mana, which is magical, and utilizes Aurum (this effects Ectoplasm and has been a long time weakness to spooks until it got nerfed). Another ST precedent that has been set is that an influx of Mana can disrupt magic, including that of the soul (Null Arcana can temporarily stun Sorvians). The symbols required are all Aether signed which, as described by the lore page, "covers features that attribute to odd and mythical properties." I can understand the dislike towards it being able to cure soul afflictions since it's more esoteric than simply having a rash.

I would simply echo others and say that it shouldn't fix all soul-afflictions. Getting hit with malflame cursed fire for example, should not be able to be cured by alchemy but rather holy magics alone. I would rather see a completely fleshed out list of what it does cure rather than just a blanket statement.

Maybe having potions that cure individual soul stuff might work better? You mentioned muritor a few times but that cures one ailment, whereas this one does a lot more. iirc, paladin purging can only be done at certain tiers and requires special tools/additional people at times, while this is something that could be mass produced and thrown around by individuals. 

4 minutes ago, BobBox said:

e85aa970be8d9e4440012aee3fd33d0b.png

The list part I do agree with though; a more comprehensive list wouldn't go amiss

18 minutes ago, BobBox said:

15 minutes ago, Kujo said:

Malflame is NOT affected by this potion [in redlines]. I would agree normally Kujo with regards to separating into multiple potions- and was thinking about that; I ultimately figured that there are too few regents with Aether signed symbols that would make sense for unique recipes. Perhaps I could modify the base so that instead of using aurum flakes, it could use something else... Unfortunately, alot of modern Darkspawn don't have tangible weaknesses akin to aurum that would serve as a good reference. I would say alot of curses are underpowered as is- frankly, I can't even think of much curses that attack the soul so terribly.

A list for EVERYTHING this would effect may become redundant should lore adapt in the future. I would prefer to keep it simple and straight forward, but I'm not against spending the time trying to pluck specific curses from each evil lore page.

With regards to Naz, people can already throw their cursed relic in a fire pit and wait 3 days for a cure - this potion would just speed it up if they actively seek help or want to learn a recipe. I do agree with your take on Paladin barriers existing due to tiers though, and will brainstorm ways to make this potion a bit more complex to make. Ultimately though, Paladins do approximately 3-5 emotes to cure someone and run off; this would at minimum take 4 per the creation process, followed by sick rp.

Addressing the take on Muritor being specific - I would argue that this is a bit different because Corcs are a borderline transformative CA whereas this would just make your bad luck and suicidal thoughts go away. Since we can't sprinkle holy water on people, this is the next best thing IMO.

in japanese mythology, the soul is stored in the ass. the recovery phase should be horrible diorerria where u shit out the curse over 3 ooc days