Guide to Warfare (1): Proper Army Make Ups

Jenkins0311

A Guide to Warfare

The Proper Usage of Those Bearing Arms and Their Rolls on Fields of War

While traveling among the Kingdoms of Almaris, it has been pointed out to me that the usage of warfare techniques among many of this region are far different than those I have seen employed while of service to my native lands. While not questioning the measures of those who stand for the protections of their ideologies, lets they be considered unjust by any man considered of sound mind and spirit, I do wish to give insight into the traditional tactics that I have not only bore witness to knowing as true and tested, but also those I have heard, though in theory, have considerable effect in the field of battle.

Units Makeups, Their Purposes and Rolls, and Ranks of Leaderships

Perhaps best to start this series of letters  to any wise enough to pay them head with a compilation of traditional units on the Field of Battle. This can be most easily broken into three categories: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, and Cavalry; each being no more important than the other and bearing equal weight in times of conflict as each has its own rolls and responsibilities. Should a crossbowman be mounted upon a horse, and a dragoon be standing on the ground? For the crossbowman upon a horse could not ready a bolt in fray of battle, and a dragoon would not be able to ride their steed into the flanks of the enemy while running along the ground. Each unit has its place in line and are of equal importance.

Light infantry most commonly consists of the following three lightly armored units, their purpose to act as attacking forces maneuvering around the Heavy Infantry in order to meld the enemy position into a more favorable position for yourself and a less favorable for your enemy. Note the use of threes among a modern army, as it is a way for General and Kings to best remember each portion in groups of threes. This is known as the “Rule of 3”. Nevertheless, the three portions of Light Infantry are as follows:

1.       The Swordsmen: Used to make charge onto an enemy units, mainly in flanking maneuvers, raids, or when in need of highly flexible unit control with high damaging effects.

2.       The Bowmen: Normally a Shortbowman, but sometimes a Long if no other option; they provide covering fire for the Swordsmen while they move upon an objective usually from a distance and in line behind the charging elements.

3.       The Spearmen: Not to be confused with a ‘Pikeman’, the spearmen move along the outer flanks of the assaulting unit formations to provide defense should the unit be flanked.

Heavy Infantry almost always consists of three heavily armored units, all used as a front line in the battle field. their purpose is to act as a base for all other units too maneuver off of: the pikeman, the spearmen, and longbowman/crossbowman:

1.       The Pikemen: Providing themselves as the first line of defense in a formation, their long halberds and pikes able to dissuade enemy Calvary and offer extreme punishment for anyone foolish enough to come within their range.

2.       The Spearmen: The most trained of Light Infantry Spearman, they integrate with the Heavy Infantry to provide close quarters support should the lines become breached or under serve contact from an enemy unit. These Spearmen are often some of the most well disciplined troops on any modern battlefield.

3.       The Heavy Bowman: Carrying a Longbow or Crossbow, it does not matter, they encase themselves protected behind the lines of Pikes and Spears and lie down volleys upon the enemy

Cavalry most think do not fall under the Rule of 3, but that is a fool’s thought process and would surely lead to a loss of life for an unwise General of King. Serving as the primary Skirmishing element and acting as a support element for both the Light and Heavy Infantry, an effective Cavalry will often determine the outcome of any battle! Be wise to compose you Dragoons in such a fashion:

1.       Light Cavalry: Bowmen whom ride upon their steed and skirmish enemy lines causing disarray among enemy ranks. They act as sparrows, constantly harassing the enemy to give chase to them, so that the enemy ranks break causing an opening to the your forces to take advantage of and attack.

2.       Heavy Cavalry: Royal Knights and Brave Master Squires, they charge and batter an enemies flank causing turmoil and fear! They are deadly when used effectively, mostly in a ‘Hammer and Anvil’ fashion.

3.       Medical Aids: Yes! Most do not consider such soldiers when preparing for war but this would a fools move. I implore you from my past experiences; mount you clergy upon horseback with sleds to move to and from battle picking up the wounded so they may receive care. Though a soldier may be wounded and not able to finish a certain battle, they may live and continue fighting the entire war!

As stated prior, a good King and General of Armies would be wise to remember the Rule of 3, since it is easy to remember and equally easy to enforce. The rule is simple:

3 Different Types of unit categories: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, and Cavalry

3 members of like Occupations to a TEAM

3 TEAMS of Like Occupation to a LINE

3 LINES of Like Occupation to a COMPANY

3 Companies, each from differing Occupations but of the same Category, to a BATTALION

Finally, 3 BATTALIONS, all of differing Categories, to form an ARMY

An illustration is as follows:

image.thumb.png.f7c94fedf691cecf0c7bb42e8a4e8b1e.png

Finally, it should be noted the Ranking formations of Soldiers, as any good and wise leader knows that the key to an orderly Armies is built not only upon traditions and customs, but also order and discipline; forming a military bearing that can withstand waves of onslaught without flinch. Though, I am unfamiliar with the Customs and Traditions of ranking structures in the Almaris Kingdoms, I shall give my own from Sandora as guide for those who wish to learn.

A TEAM is give leadership under a -                 LANCE CORPORAL

A LINE is give leadership under a -                   CORPORAL AT ARMS

A COMPANY is give leadership under a -         SERGEANT AT ARMS

A BATTALION is give leadership under a -        CAPTAIN AT ARMS

An ARMY is give leadership under a -              GENERAL AT ARMS, who serves directly under the authority of their King.

Though this letter be long enough as is, I will continue my works in giving military guidance and insight in my next letter; in it I shall discuss the various Unit Formations that are often seen proven and useful. Until then; be kind, be honorable, and be brave young Masters of Almaris.

Edited by Jenkins0311
typos

Meme Generator - He is the Chosen One. He will bring balance - Newfa Stuff

I just noticed that mistake while typing another document LOL. Making changes now. I get to typing a bit faster than my mind can keep up with. you should have seen the first rough draft... you'd think I was a 5 year old just slamming letter on a keyboard.

Actually, it was first used by the Macedonians, and perfected under Alexander the Great during his conquests. He used Cavalry as a Skirmishing element and Flanking element where the Romans used Cavalry as a prominent attacking element. The Romans, by all accounts were horrible war fighters. Good at conquest and installing Governments, but horrible at warfare. Think of any battle they ever fought and look at their losses. Now, some would argue that they were a great force because of their infrastructural capabilities, but if that were not the case, as it is in some cases, the Romans got there cans handed to them.