A LETTER TO HIS MAJESTY

esotericas

8ekrgvTTRAuanewALfcILs46xKezpAX2FhYNikcS6X_TPjtNwanuUGiLha-rF-8HcMQTFoUzt0VpDgtl4_f2folLvNsRVYxiC33q5CtFp0EOdr4U7iMizb5FlUBt2XbOE37qLB6jvL-LhFSDc_UKstQLWlTX8AkfNw44oaIh67nJq765tnGLHriepQ

RECORDED IN THE HOPES OF PREVENTING FURTHER HARM FROM COMING TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF ALMARIS

OOC:

Spoiler

THIS LETTER WAS SENT ONLY TO KING KARL III. DO NOT METAGAME THE CONTENTS OR YOUR KNEECAPS WILL BE MINE.

LETTER

BEING, BY NATURE OF ITS NAME AND ITS WRITING, A RECOUNTING OF DONNCHADH VON DRACO’S ATTEMPT ON MY LIFE, AND A HUMBLE REQUEST FOR HIS MAJESTY’S PROTECTION.

-=✺=-

The events described herein are recounted to the best of my memory and knowledge, however I do acknowledge that my mind was not in its usual place after my injury, and what transpired afterwards - while I remember it well - was made less clear by the pain I was in. That said, I have written only what I know to be the truth of the situation as it occurred.

RECORDED ON THE 10TH OF VYZMEY AG HYFF, 449 E.S.

It was only two Saint’s days ago that I found myself, inspired by a discussion on Inferi magic, wandering through Sedan in search of a library. I had found little success in the books of other nations, and had turned my attention there, but was unable to locate such a building on my own. The square was empty, and rather than give up on my search, I made my way instead towards the palace, home of Prince Louis Haverlock, who I had become friends with some years ago. In the palace anteroom, I found a scattering of familiar faces: those of Donnchadh von Draco (or Donny, as he will be referred to from here on,) Lady Gisele Godunov, and Lady Nicoletta Halcourt. Donny, who I at this point still believed to be a friend, introduced me to Lady Halcourt. The young Halcourt and I spoke for some minutes, but we were interrupted by the arrival of Donny’s wife, Aoife von Draco.

Donny greeted her with warmth, but when Aoife set eyes on me, she immediately left the building, Donny following promptly after her. Discomforted, I struggled to maintain my conversation with Lady Halcourt. 

Donny returned minutes later, and said not a word. When I turned to greet him, I found him with a loaded crossbow pointed directly towards my head. Lady Godunov brought Lady Halcourt away from the danger, but made little attempt to defend me. When I asked Donny why he was directing such a weapon at me, I was met with no answer, but the following words:

I WISH I NEVER MET YOU.”

I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED.”

IF YOU MOVE, YOU’RE DEAD.”

Remaining as still as I was able, I reminded Donny of something I had offered in the past. Our friendship had long brought conflict between him and his wife, Aoife, and it had once before caused an argument between Donny and myself, where I offered to forget our friendship, not wishing to cause a rift between him and the woman he loved. Then, Donny had refused, stating, I don’t want to forget you.’

Once more Donny refused this offer, approaching me and ordering me to get on my knees. I began to do so, and asked him only to tell me why he was doing this. 

Yet again, he refused to answer, and when I did not kneel fast enough for his tastes, he shot me in the leg, causing me to fall to the ground.

Upon seeing my injury, Donny threw his crossbow aside, the weapon shattered, and he began to cry, although fury still bore itself on his face. As I fell, Lady Godunov, still watching, laughed.

It was then that Prince Louis Haverlock and Margrave Loran von Draco arrived at the palace. After taking in the scene - the Ladies Halcourt and Godunov sheltered in a corner, and myself with a crossbow bolt in my leg, Prince Louis approached Donny and told him to calm down. Donny refused, claiming:

THIS ***** TOOK MY WIFE AWAY FROM ME,”

And he reached into his clothing, beginning to draw a weapon. From across the room, Lady Godunov called for Donny to finish the deed, saying: 

KILL HER ALREADY,”

LET HIM KILL HER.”

Worried for my safety, I responded by explaining that Donny had been the one to encourage our friendship despite his wife’s wishes, not I, and that I could not be held responsible for the conflict it caused. 

Prince Louis came to my defence, likely seeing the honesty in my words, and stood between Donny and myself. Donny bade Prince Louis move, saying:

YOU’RE MY KIN. MOVE, I DON’T WANT TO HURT YOU TOO.”

Prince Louis refused, stating he did not want Donny to be made a murderer. Donny withdrew a dagger and pointed it at Prince Louis, once more claiming that I was responsible for the collapse of his marriage. Prince Louis instructed him to take the matter to court if he wished for justice, and from across the room, the Margrave assented, reminding Donny that to strike Prince Louis would make him a kinslayer. Once more, I spoke, stating I had done only what Donny had asked of me, and that I could not be blamed for such. The Margrave’s words seemed to register with Donny, who sheathed his weapon and agreed he was not a kinslayer and never would be. Prince Louis and the Margrave agreed that I be brought to Petra, so that my wound could be seen to. Donny overheard this, and said he hoped I bled out before we made it to Petra.

Prince Louis took me to Petra, where I was seen to by local medics. After my injury was tended to, it was discovered that both Donny and the Margrave were loitering outside the clinic. Prince Louis said he would draw them off, and I was aided by a knight - Ser Lucien - in my escape and return to Haense, where my cousin Giovanna de Leuven aided me to my room, and I rested.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

I have spent the last months in genuine fear for my life, knowing nothing of Donny’s location, and unable to ensure my own safety, be that within the walls of Karosgrad or in the myriad of foreign nations that my profession as a scholar draws me to. I do not write this to ask you to punish Donny for crimes committed outside of Haense, only to obtain your guarantee that my safety as a citizen of Hanseti-Ruska will be ensured. 

SIGNED,

Her Ladyship, MANON YVAINE DE LEUVEN

The Star Lord, the Ghost of Guise, the Grand Auri of the Gardens, Alchemist in Residentia at Valwyck, the Starling Stag

4A4T4nIJa4xAJotw8IcRY33I4QYEhJyKiNpQMskx5Dc2oavccq6HospNX5_4nhE2nnjqLo1hzXdd8tUd-6yKvhqlu7Djr2pZ9RS5YYimJjpSPFBzzDuJ7AYa_pPGlNikdpts90EQ-tSIAn0V1gBXQkD6EzUb0wFWYbJe_j493MNc1ThCmUp-5hnzYA