THE PROCESSION OF THE BARUCH ASCENSION

Duchy of Valwyck

Inspired by @yopplwasupxxx

Written and Formatted by @Drew2_dude and @Zanthuz

“Ri Beinn, Abhainn, Agus Gual”

Motto of House Baruch

‘By Mountain, River, and Coal’

87bWccdp36n0NROBxmiS2IYCDV8O_cBJmaFSZaOi5Ozn3ocRXrnXY5nKypZ3qUMZ-cXUeqnywk5gQ4K_IR3WksAgMNbjDhUn-2GPxv6s9us8G7MrWbItTdDgHjlO9yCmrxbBQSPU19YAJZQWfemBxqk

A STUDY ON THE PROCESSION OF THE BARUCH ASCENSION

Published 468 E.S. | 1915 A.H.

Or, AN EXAMINATION ON THE PROCESSION OF THE BARUCH ASCENSION

BY

OTTO MALCOLM GANT

and

WALLACE OF LALLYBROCH

MAINTAINED BY:

ARCHIVIST OF HOUSE BARUCH

---

In the days of yore, when King Petyr I bestowed upon Eirik ‘The Whaler’ the first baronial title to the House of Baruch, a ritual upon the ascension of each titleholder began to take its form. This custom would continue to evolve and develop throughout the centuries as Baruch went from Baronial and Comital house to Ducal status. The whalebone coronet of Eirik I, being a symbol of the houses seafaring ways, was traded for a recovered ancestral circlet of Saint Otto of Vanderfell, the founding father of the family. The standard Waldenian lute and bard was exchanged for the Ayrikiv bagpipes and fiddle, and similarly so did were the vibrant Waldenian gowns exchanged for tartans, fur, and wool clothing. And as the culture of the people of Ayr has developed, so too has the process of ascension. 

This procession shall be meticulously recorded and chronicled so that the traditions of the Ayrikiv people and the House of Baruch may be preserved in the annals of history, for the future use by the descendants of Valwyck and its subjects.

---

REGALIA

WHALEBONE CORONET OF EIRIK I

Patriarchs adorned by this regalia: Eirik I, Otto I, Aldrik I, Jan I, Sigmar I

A circlet of interlocking whale bones, adorned with various crystals and gems representing the colours of House Baruch. Crafted by skillful smiths during the reign of Count Eirik I, the coronet serves as a symbol of Baruch prowess and prestige.

SAINT OTTO’S CORONET

Patriarchs adorned by this regalia: Petyr II, Matyas I, Ruslan I, Eirik III, Isabel I

Legend has it that this old, silver coronet was once worn by Saint Otto of Haense as Grand Duke of Vanderfell. It is heavily engraved, and the words Gottmituns' is engraved across its front, bordered by a set of flawless gemstones.

WHALEBONE SCEPTER OF EIRIK I

An ivory sceptre made of whalebone, crafted for Eirik I. The polished ivory rod was gilded at the bottom with a gold trimmed hilt. The sceptre was topped with a bear head carved out of whalebone. The sceptre was meticulously marked with patterns symbolising the waves of the sea, and mountains of Greyspine.

LIVERY CHAIN OF SIGMAR I

A chain-linked necklace made of gold that sits on the shoulders, worn by Sigmar I. The necklace features a bold centrepiece; a large, red ruby situated at the centre of the necklace. It also features meticulously designed medallions situated in intervals on the necklace, each medallion is engraved with the seal of House Baruch or of House Barbanov.

TARTAN SASH OF VENERABLE EIRIK III

A red tartan sash worn by the Venerable Eirik III. The red tartan consists of intersecting stripes with different shades of red. The tartan sash is held by a silver circular brooch with a bear standing in the middle.

---

PROCESSION

BAPTISM OF THE DUKE/DUCHESS

The Baptism of the Duke or Duchess is performed in a private ceremony before the public ascension, surrounded only by their family and their Liege-Lord the Crown of Haense, if present.

At the beginning of the Baptism of the Duke/Duchess, this prayer is spoken by the Priest:

“Almighty God, in whose name we consecrate these sacred rites, grant that divine favour enshrines your servant into their noble station, the Duke/Duchess of Valwyck. By Saint Otto’s intercession, we call forth the holy decrees of faith to strengthen and sanctify, making pure the soul of the Duke/Duchess of Valwyck. May these waters cleanse the body and purify the heart, making him/her worthy of this temporal patrimony.”

REGALIA OF THE DUKE/DUCHESS

The Regalia is placed on the Duke/Duchess by the former Regent/ patriarch;

First the sash of Venerable Eirik III is placed on the left shoulder of the Duke/Duchess, then fastened to their robe with the silver bear brooch over their heart. The following is then spoken by the former patriarch:

“Don the sash of the Venerable Eirik III, that you may inherit the wisdom of your forebears.”

Next, the livery chain of Sigmar I is placed on the Duke/Duchess’ neck, with the former patriarch saying:

“Don the livery chain of Sigmar I, that you may inherit the conviction of your forefathers.” 

Next is the whalebone sceptre of Eirik I, held by the new Duke/Duchess in their right hand. The former patriarch then says the following:

“Don the whalebone sceptre of Eirik I, that you may nourish the bounties of the Ayrikiv.”

Finally, Saint Otto’s coronet is placed atop the Duke/Duchess’ head, with the former patriarch speaking the following:

“Don the Coronet of Vanderfell, that you may never forget the traditions of your people.”

“Ordained with these relics, we call forth the great heritage inaugurated and sustained by the faithful lineage of the House of Baruch. With the wisdom and devotion impressed unto us through the name of Saint Otto of Vanderfell, great patron of the most worthy and chosen Haeseni people, we invoke the pronouncement of these ceremonial rites. May these relics and the intentions that bear their significance rightfully install the head of this peerage.”

ANOINTING OF THE DUKE/DUCHESS

The anointing of the Duke/Duchess is performed by the priest with the preserved oil of the last whale slain by Aldrik I:

The palms of the Duke/Duchess are traced in the Lorraine cross with the oil:

“Bless these hands, that the toils of the Duke/Duchess of Valwyck be a service worthy and holy.”

The forehead of the Duke/Duchess is traced in the Lorraine cross with the oil:

“Bless the mind, that the insight of the saints and venerated draw near as the Duke/Duchess carries out his/her duty with earnestness and prudence. May the wisdom of the forebears throughout the centuries guide the Duke/Duchess in his/her station as head of the family.”

FINAL PRAYER

This prayer is said by the Duke/Duchess at the end of the ceremony at the feet of Saint Otto of Vanderfell’s tomb:

“May the blessings of Almighty God, through the intercession of Saint Otto, pour forth. Grant that I may be worthy to receive this sanctification with a purity of mind, body, and spirit. Consecrate my will, so that my deeds and words be in the service of the Holy Will and in the grand heritage by which my life is now dedicated. I call forth the names of those before me and advance the peace and grace that is befitting to the station of the Duke/Duchess of Valwyck. May God ever sustain me. Amen.”

RECESSIONAL

As the Duke/Duchess exits the cathedral, a symphony of bagpipes and fiddles are played; the guests follow the Duke/Duchess out followed by the band members. This signals the end of the procession.

---

Edited by Duchy of Valwyck