A Hope for Justice

Phersades

A Hope for Justice
A response from Azrielle Vilac

LKCEBNMWr8VHEMCcFkCoUT4MisQ91Q-NdwZUr1Qy8jtUDxWOzcayF8e9YmvPM8XMjPnB9-dCwl-UETAjjBAqR4id57xsZHDmgtfOchqMovajs2PJzy7AKhP1ZIAEzNJG27rN5MTVn5_T2VoHiMFcGSU

r18N-8Dfz3tXfzBn4y8u_h8MxxHUdeQA9-r3XFUj0NIwHR2vpDH6m95w8mW-se7DzBGR66d5Sl-mHDNQu6AQEUc4_tDBge9rzYLuwSGhJCFAM1NVxZNqz3oieSol_pkNR2k3_E_I1kzj0NdV2EcK1nc

More than a decade has passed since I spoke the truth about the murder of Teft Barclay, violently committed by my once beloved older brother, Gwendel Vilac. I still stand by this testimony today just as I did when I originally spoke it to the now Duke of Minitz, Brandt Barclay. Times and ages may not be exact as some of these accounts were many years ago, but the events themselves are still nothing but the truth, and I will swear this under God.

I will start as my brother's statement did; I have lived a simple life since birth. I was born to Victoria Vasile and Marius Vilac, raised in Acre by my mother until we moved down to Balian to live in a home given and maintained by Gwendel. Do not let his words fool you though, as Gwendel, Antonius, and I are triplets. I too shared a womb with these men, and am one of the eldest of thirteen children as well. I acted as a true older sister, assisting where and when I could. I admit that between the two, Gwendel was the better of my older brothers when it came to controlling his violence and anger, so when I recount the events of the murder, it breaks my heart that someone I loved and trusted with my life would betray me in such a horrid way. 

It is true that our father left us with the false promise of returning, but I will not sugarcoat why he never found his way home. Around the age of ten, I took a trip to the Lector’s Keep in Aaun with my brother Antonius to view the body of my poor father. Marius Vilac was killed and crucified by the Lectors for being in affiliation with the Heralds of Azdromoth. It was a gruesome scene and one no child should ever witness, but it is the truth. The preachings and friends of my father found themselves in the ear of Antonius, who tried to push such on to me and would verbally abuse me when I refused to hear him out.

I
n my late teens, early twenties I had left my brothers in Balian to seek out a new home and new opportunities, which led me to a small farm home in Minitz. Here I had met the victim, Teft Barclay, and the two of us grew quite fond of one another. For the first time In my life, I had not only found my place, but with someone who made me feel wanted and loved. My brothers were not so inviting of Teft or the fact that I had found myself surrounded by those of House Barclay. When speaking to Teft, they often got loud, being outspoken that they were not to approve of our relationship. Regardless, after a couple years, Teft and I had gotten engaged under the table, keeping such news from Gwendel as he still made it clear that he wished to dictate my life, and would be the one to approve or deny this proposal himself. We both knew what the answer would be, and wished to keep our affairs private.

W
ith that context, during the time of my engagement, I had taken a trip for a year or two in the attempt to learn more in the way of medicine. I had wished to become a better medic for the growing town, and sought more knowledge so I could achieve this. At the time, Teft had sent me a letter that I believed to be him thinking we had separated. When I had gotten this letter, I was confused because the meaning itself was unclear and I returned home to see if I could get an answer for it. For some reason, Gwendel had decided to visit Minitz that day and was one of the first to also read this letter. He had fully believed that it was a way for Teft to leave me, and his anger took over. When Teft arrived to Minitz that afternoon, he had been intercepted by Gwendel, and the two of us were not allowed to speak. He took Teft and I from Minitz to Petra where the Vilacs were settled at the time and led us to a small cave that seemed to be an old mine with a drop off. Gwendel then forced Teft to the edge of that drop off and began to question him about promises he had made to our house. My brother Antonius held me in the back of the cave to keep me from attempting to stop our brother. I just remember Gwendel using a weapon to threaten Teft, using it as a way to try and force him to back off that ledge.

T
eft’s death was rubbed in my face and I was reminded of this tragedy constantly. I was told that I would die if I had released the information of what happened. I could not bear to live in Minitz anymore, and was moved to the Vilac manor in Petra. We had planned a wedding, and spoke often of the children we would one day have. I had to live in that house with my brothers as they grew relationships and families of their own, raising children that I myself could not have. They took that opportunity from me and got to live their perfect lives until I finally decided to speak out about what had happened. When I told those in Minitz of the murder, my brothers returned to that abusive behavior, even going as far as teaching their children that I was an awful woman who betrayed my family. I was so worried for my life that I went as far as asking for Oijin to help me disguise myself, changing my hair color and eyes. Since then I have been living between both Minitz and Petra, doing my best to move past this.

I
will not be able to make the trial of my older brother, once again, I write this and swear that this is the full truth. In my home within Minitz, I leave evidence such as:

The note of assumed separation Teft Barclay wrote and signed.

A note detailing the location of where the murder took place.

The bottles given to me by Oijin that helped me disguise myself.

A weapon paired with a note.

May justice be served.

Blood for Barclay.
r18N-8Dfz3tXfzBn4y8u_h8MxxHUdeQA9-r3XFUj0NIwHR2vpDH6m95w8mW-se7DzBGR66d5Sl-mHDNQu6AQEUc4_tDBge9rzYLuwSGhJCFAM1NVxZNqz3oieSol_pkNR2k3_E_I1kzj0NdV2EcK1nc

Signed,
Dame Azrielle Vilac

Spoiler

its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif

- A Minitzer's thoughts.