Khaz’a’dentrumm

ᚲᚺᚨᛉᚨᛞᛖᚾᛏᚱᚢᛗᛗ

[Music]

“I lay dying on that rock from mid-eve until nightfall, surrounded by the mixed bodies of friend and foe alike. For the better part of the day the sea storms blew salty wind upon my broken body, but as the full moon rose, the clouds parted for the Masked Lord’s alabaster hall to rise above the black sea. If I was to die that day, there would be no other place I would rather die than in the gaze of Dungrimm’s pale moonlight. As my blood spilled onto the cold, wet pebbles of that rocky beach, tangled within the limbs and corpses of slain Dwed, I saw a sight I shall never forget-- for eight shining Dwedlonarri descended upon golden goats from the light of the moon itself. Without wings and without effort, they flew upon the dark firmament to the battlefield.

From the body of Dwarf to the body of Dwarf they walked and lifted them whole into their hands, though before my eyes their body remained in pieces on the ground before me. To Agilmar, and Droctbold, and Gangulf did they walk and lifted them up onto the back of their goat, taking the bodies of the Ironborn too with them indiscriminately. And yet, as one passed to me, I saw only blinding moonlight when I gazed upon her face. I remember nothing after this, as I awoke being dragged from under the body of Gangulf, finally found by another crew from da Kirkja Gorix. I knew it was not my time, but that the warriors who died that day would find themselves before the Lord of Death that night.” 

-The words of Viligast Grimgold, sole survivor of the raid of Tal’Karaave, Age of Blood

CawwCawwCrow_Valkyries_riding_flying_goa

Artists representation of the Daughters of Dungrimm descending from the moon.

There is a place where a soul goes when death finds it-- Khaz’a’dentrumm, the Halls of the Slain. Located high above the mortal realm upon the ivory disk known as the moon. It is here that Dungrimm, Lord of Death and War, holds his court. In these sacred halls the fate of souls are decided, and those who find themselves lacking are cast into Vuur’dor, the Void.

There are many interpretations of the guide of the soul to these hallowed halls. Some believe that Dungrimm or Belka serve as the psychopomp of a soul, while others grant it to a lesser divine being, such as the Daughters of Dungrimm or Kjellos. Whatever interpretation of the guide of the soul is correct is of little consequence, as it is what happens within the halls of Dungrimm that bears the most importance. 

Upon entrance to these halls, one will find themselves surrounded by their friends and family, leading back to their first ancestors. After this greeting, the soul will be called before the throne of Dungrimm and the other Brathmordakin will be summoned to high seats in the hall. The entire life and deeds of the spirit will be judged by Dungrimm, highest of judges, and it will be determined if they have lived their life in accordance with Yemekar's Rhun.

Dungrimm.jpg

Artists representation of Dungrimm before the gates of Khaz'a'dentrumm.

If one is found to be worthy, they will be bid upon by the Brathmordakin assembled in what is called the Auction of the Dead. It is the realm of who bids the highest for the soul where the final afterlife of the individual shall be. Brathmordakin are more likely to bid upon the soul of one who lived in accordance with their domain and teachings. Once the auction has been completed, the soul will go to live and serve in the hall of the Brathmordakin of their patronage.

If one is found to be lacking, or if as some say their soul is not bid upon by a Brathmordakin, they shall be cast through the gates of Vuur’dor, into the bowels of the Void, where some believe Khorvad lies. What happens once the soul has been cast into the depths of the void is a mystery to us upon the mortal realm. Some believe it is destroyed entirely, others that it is churned and reborn to try again, and some yet still believe they are left to Khorvad’s desires and wishes.

All souls will one day find themselves within the halls of judgment, rich or poor, warrior or coward, young or old. In truth, the fate of the souls of foreigners is not known, with some claiming that non-Dwarven souls find themselves in lesser realms upon death. Others still believe that they too will find themselves in Dungrimm’s halls, yet without the teachings of the gods most find themselves cast out into Vuur’dor. Only in death will we know for certain. The date of one’s death is known only to the Brathmordakin, which is why it is important for one to live each day in accordance with Yemekar's Rhun.